What was your coolest KSP moment?

ZentroCatson

I want to hear from your coolest moment in KSP. It can be anything, Mun landing Jool aerobraking, or launching a rocket. Mine was after I separated the liquid boosters of my standard 2.5m lifter. It was perfect-the sepratrons burned for 0.5 seconds, fell away Korolev style, and I felt cool as heck :cool:!

When I finally managed to put my Larger-Than-Full-Size Shuttle into orbit for the first time, after 20 hours of repeated failures. And watching it drift in space like that..... I have never felt more accomplished in this game....

WeDpIGF.png

Ages and Ages ago (0.17 I think), I flew two craft side by side from Mun's surface up to orbit by switching back and forth between them; letting one go with it's engines still running while switching to the other, making a few adjustments and then switching back to the other. Seeing two craft, both with engines on power, flying side by side was really cool. Unfortunately I don't think this is possible now because of the (really annoying) limitations about craft switching, you can't switch away from a craft that's throttled up anymore :( (if anyone has a work around for that do let me know).

Here's the vid of that flight (start at 10:58 if it doesn't auto jump you there) https://youtu.be/XP_epphsiwM?t=10m58s

When I first started playing KSP I had one of those one in a million moments.

I was losing control of a very poorly built rocket, I let the boosters go early and managed to get it under control, only to have both boosters come back around and hit the rocket.

A very close second for me would be when I bailed out of my command pod (testing eva parachutes... need to find that mod again) opened the chutes just before I hit the ground, survived that, but my pod came down on top of me :D

It was in career mode, I was horrible at docking.. I accepted a rescue a Kerbal contract with the unupgraded tracking center....

I was forced to do a "by eye" rendezvous operation.. And I bearly had enough fuel to get back to Kerbin's surface.. It was epic and took ~3 tries to get it right...

I think it was when my orbital telescope maintenance mission ran out of fuel. I've had just enough to lower my spaceplane's orbit into maybe 300x50km with a single burn. Two atmospheric skips later, I've landed the bird safely. At the KSC! On first try (I think I even forgot to quicksave)! My hands were shaking during the landing.

my first Jool mission. I tried to do a Jool-5 type thing, but couldn't get the tylo one back. The coolest part was coming in and aerobraking the mothership with 5 landers docked to it. It looked amazing, and by some amazing luck, i got a laythe encounter coming out the other side!

While firsts in the game are cool, made even better entering the game blind. But after a while ksp became less challenging. Finally i decided ti give realism over haul a try, and getting to orbit gave me that same sense of achievement of a first mun landing or first orbit

two things I can't choose from:

1) "light-weight" (160 tons) Eve sea-level ascent vehicle that finally worked in a consistent manner back in 0.22 or 0.23. I was especially proud of the staging sequence I made for the tanks. Resembled asparagus staging but with less loss of thrust.

2) SSTDuna-and-back spaceplane without refuel, also back in 0.23 if I'm not mistaken. I mentioned that one several times on the forum already, but it is still and will always be one of my crowning achievements.

The feeling after finishing my first Jool-5 mission, back in 0.21 or something like that. Built a ridiculous cruiser and tried to send it to Jool just for the hell of it. Back then I didn't use KER to calculate dV or anything and it was all eyeballing the approaches and landings. Sent a lander contraption after the main ship, then some refuelers and managed to land on all 5 moons without ever planning to do that in the first place.

That was really something.

My first near miss. I was doing a routine space station refuel and I was at about 80k at about 1100 m/s when I saw what I though was a shooting star pass by my ship very quickly. I look in the direction the star had went and I see cross hairs. I click on it and see "orbiter refuel debris 23.2 km" the tank had probably missed me by less then 100m travelling at orbital velocity.

Absolutely when I was trying to put a rover on Minmus for the first time in pre 1.0. I couldn't figure out how to attach the rover within the stack of the ship, so I strapped two of them in symmetry to the sides of the lander. Then I couldn't figure out a way to launch them without them both crashing face first into Minmus and breaking or flipping over. So I made two detachable ramp systems and put them under the rovers curved outwards so that when I decoupled the rovers they slid right down the rails and landed perfectly wheels down on the surface. Then when it was done I could detach the ramps and all that remained was the core of my science base I was making. The game lagged like crazy, but I got it up in one glorious launch and it landed perfectly. I used F5 and F9 over and over again on the surface just to watch my rovers deploy and everything come online. So very proud of that thing. It would never ever work in the new aero...it would be like flying with deployed airbrakes.

Then the feeling afterwards of realizing that the surface gravity was super low and my rovers didn't have enough traction to even work on the surface. I planned for that by putting RCS tanks so I could fly them around a bit...but I didn't lock the tanks and the lander used all the RCS out of both rovers before I landed and before I realized what I had done. They just drove around in circles in place. But STILL!!!! That launch was amazing

Edited by RogalDorn

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.