Do you use designations for your spacecraft?

ouion

So here are my own:

CTV=Crew transport vehicle

They are Capsule with service modules and can transport crew

IPV= Interplanetary Vehicles

CIPV= Cargo Interplanetary vehicles

For transporting Cargo

MSP= Modular Space Tugs

BSIPV= Base startup Interplanetary Vehicle a.k.a colony ships

So what are your own

Mine have extremely creative names; Mun Orbiter, Mun Lander, Minmus Orbiter, Minmus Lander, Science 1, Science 2, etc ... see a pattern?

When I finally come up crafts I like that won't be replaced soon by unlocking new parts I'll come up with better names.

I have a few standard prefixes I use, which makes things easier to find because they group ships by function in the VAB loading menu:

CM = Command Module, for general manned craft that operate in space and return to Kerbin (think Apollo CSM).

LM = Landing Module, for manned craft intended to land somewhere other than Kerbin.

OM = Orbit Module, for space station sections.

SAT = Satellite, for contract satellites.

I also have some other naming conventions:

Craft specifically built to test a part for a contract are called "Test Article" and numbered sequentially. In my current career game I think I'm up to "Test Article 5".

Satellites launched for a contract are named after the agency and numbered sequentially. "SAT Kerbodyne 3" would be the third satellite launched for Kerbodyne, for example.

I also take a modular approach to rocket construction and divide things into two pieces - a mission section (which are individually saved off as ships) and a booster section (saved as subassemblies). This makes it easy to piece a rocket together for any particular mission. Load a mission section, tweak it, attach a booster, double-check staging, and you're good to go.

I name my basic booster designs after Greek letters, with additional designations added if I modify it. If the only modification is extra fuel tanks, then "Heavy" gets tacked on, otherwise I'll add a letter or number (I'm inconsistent with that one). Right now I have Alpha, Beta, Delta, and Gamma rockets, and the "Beta Heavy" is my current workhorse.

I'm inconsistent with naming mission sections, but generally unmanned probes just get some sort of descriptive name ("Minmus Lander"), while manned vehicles get a name that generally fits some theme. In my first career game that was Disney characters, currently it's Korean pop stars. Each new revision gets numbered. "LM Minzy 2" is the second version of the Minzy lander.

The complete vehicle is then mission module + booster: "LM Minzy 2 Beta Heavy".

Wow, this sounds really complicated after writing it all out. :)

Edited by JetJaguar

Usually Unnamed Spacecraft, followed by Unnamed Spacecraft, and Unnamed Spacecraft.
:D

I usually give any spacecraft/aircraft a designation if I use it repeatedly. And the designation is based on mission or what type of vehicle it is. Example, EV-2 is my mainstream Apollo/Orion style crew vehicle (EV=Exploration Vehicle) and it was the 2nd generation EV-series (The EV-1 was the early career one-kerbal pod). From there, I'll give them models based on further improvements. The EV-2Awas an Apollo-analogue for going to the Mun and such, but later I had a more conservative EV-2B for LKO operations for going to space stations, tourist contracts, etc. The EV-2B had slightly different equipment, didn't require the fuel reserves or communications capability of the A-model, and was cheaper.

If I give craft nicknames, I usually stick with bird names for aircraft, ship/naval names for spacecraft, mythical creatures (ex Griffin, Phoenix) for SSTO spaceplanes, and general animal names for landers, miners and other misc utility vehicles whatever they look like (my Mono-powered Minmus lander reminded me of a "Grasshopper").

Others:

LV-? (Lander Vehicles)

SR-? (Spaceplane, Reusable) SSTO spaceplanes

EVR-? (Exploration Vehicle, Reusable) shuttle-type non-SSTO spaceplanes that launch on a rocket

SV-? (Support Vehicle) these are usually unmanned resupply/logistics craft

UV-? (Utility Vehicle) skycranes, assembly drones, tugs, etc

SM-? (Station Module) SM-U Utilites Module, SM-N Node Module, SM-S Science Module, etc

BM-? (Base Module) same scheme as the Station Modules

Edited by Raptor9

I don't really have any standard ones, except for XOV <number>, which is eXperimental Orbital Vehicle, i.e. a space plane. When they're done being experimented on and I'm comfortable with the design, they become KSS (Kerbal Space Shuttle) <name>, like KSS Constitution (a long distance LFO space plane).

Other than that, if they don't get a regular name (similar to Apollo or something) I'll create a designation based on their use -- like an orbital fuel refinery will become OFR -- but they aren't standardized.

Some class type name for my launcher families like "Ajax" family (name from the ridiculous kitshy film Flash Gordon) for the others I used some Syfy author's name like Asimov or Clarke.

Otherwise CM, CSM, LM are good enough :D

1435354929-6.jpg
Edited by Herr Rictus Bingo

I only use consistent designations for some ships and launch vehicles. Otherwise, it's pretty random.

For ships I use:

KIPS - Kerbal InterPlanetary Ship, for my interplanetary tugs.

CTV for anything designed to move just Kerbals.

LM or CTVL (Crew Transport Vehicle and Lander) for landers.

Followed by the version then a ship name. So, for example, currently I'm using KIPS v4, and by tradition the first one I launch is KIPS v4 Thundercougarfalconbird. I have no good reason for that tradition, but it is a tradition none-the-less. After TCFB, I usually name them for the Orange Three (now Four), the US Space Shuttles, Kerbals I killed in memorable ways, or famous astrophysicists.

And for launch vehicles, I start with a launch vehicle family name:

NaSh - short for NASA Shot, designed around the size 3 NASA parts.

MuSh - short for Mun Shot, designed around size 2 parts, (usually what takes me to the Mun for the first time in any save).

OrSh - short for Orbit Shot, size 1 launch vehicle family.

Followed by either the engine nozzle count or the stack count. So a NaSh with a Mammoth in the core stack and two boosters with Mainsails could be either a NaSh III (two booster stacks and a core stack) or a NaSh VI (six nozzles). I go back and forth depending on the save, but I maintain the same count scheme within each save. There is one exception: by tradition the first launch vehicle to get me to the Mun is named MuSh V. Because by sheer coincidence, the launch vehicle to get me to the Mun in my first three saves had 5 stacks and 5 nozzles. After that, it became a thing.

My ships just follow the common "Lunar Orbiter I", with the upgraded version being "Lunar Orbiter II".

However, every once and awhile a ship/plane/rover series will get a special name added on to it due to some occurance in the field, or resemblance to something else.

Some of the more recent ones i can remember...

1. A jeep with a tendency to flip over, unable to right itself. Nicknamed the "Turtle"

2. An APC transport, that due to a wrongly binded action group was dropped out of a cargo plane flying 20k meters over the sea. Survived impact (Mostly, was still functional) Nicknamed the "Water Fall"

3. Some weird tiny Probe/Drone thing that's sitting in an old sandbox file that i don't remember making... Nicknamed the "ADATS" for some reason... Why it's named that who knows!? (I'm assuming it's related to the Canadian ADATS weapons system... but why...?)

Sure do,

44 Class as in 44xx is generally a bulldog locomotive, americans might call them "A Units" 4409 Represents this class at the moment

Long hood road shunters are generally D40xx styled on 40 class RSC3 locomotive class, D4002 being currently the operational and on the roster for mainline operations

While shunters in general or branchline freight has taken the 37 class. now upto 3703 - 8 wheeled locomotives with 4 center drive wheels and a docking port (coupler) at both ends for bi-directional operations

Aircraft such as the ultralight Scout carry the registration KTP-100xx

as this is KSP.. unfortunately class and registration numbers arnt actually representive of how many of that class locomotive exist.. but rather how many have existed.. most of which ended horribly and now are either a pile of parts in a memorial.. or totally vaporised with only their respective numbers carried on

CL: Crew Launch

CR: Crew Return

PL: Payload launch

PR: Payload return (mostly a lander for resource operations)

Mk1, Mk2, etc designations for basic (sucessful) designs. Variations within a basic design get the Mod 'N' designations. Mix and match as appropriate. For instance, my current SSTO Spaceplane for getting Kerbals into space is the "Mk.2 Mod.2 CLCR". Larger numbers are also usually larger/heavier craft. My Mk1 CLCR was a two rapier, single intake SSTO. the Mk2 is a four rapier three intake with more delta V in orbit. Mk3 is a Mk3 sized SSTO with stupid amounts of delta once in orbit.

Once something is launched and in orbit I usually change the name to reflect why it's there. If it was testing my launch profile I'll put something like "Mk2 Mod2 20 degree". Same SSTOSP as above, on a 20 degree climb and full throttle launch. Satellites get named after missions, usually with (COMP) at the end to denote that I'm done with it and can kill it at any time to reduce clutter.

A friend and I have decided to jointly cooperate on a new science career mode program entitled the "Red Shirt Space Program". Vessels are assigned a class designation named after a red shirt from the Star Trek universe, starting with the Original Series. Multiple vessels within the same class are given a Mk.I., Mk.II., etc...

Manned exploratory landers are "Scott" class. They are the ones that get things done.

Unmanned probes are "Rand" class. They relay data.

Mother ship orbiters and similar support craft are "Uhura" class. They gather the data and send it back to command.

Manned surface/orbit crew shuttles are "Kyle" class, because... transport.

Atmospheric science jets are "McGivers" class, because they are stuck on one planet ;)

Of course, there are a whole host of expendable craft types as well...

Kerbals, like Earthlings, like to name their ships after their mythological figures, more admierable forms of wildlife, and "action" words from their language, then use the letters of these words to make clever acronyms that describe the ship and/or its mission. This, however, presents sevral problems for translators. First, of course, most of the names used by the Kerbals are totally untranslatable because Earthlings have no idea what wildlife (if any) exists on Kerbin, etc.

Second, the Kerbals write all official documents in Old Kerbish (their equivalent of Latin), which none of them are at all fluent in, which leads to many mistakes of both grammatical and engineering nature. And it's a strange coincidence of linguistics that when translating an Old Kerbish acronym word-for-word into English, the result is always something derogatory in English instead of the flashy, edgy connotation it has in Old Kerbish. Here are some examples:

FOOL: Finding Ore On Laythe

FOOLSCAP: Finding Ore On Laythe SCANning Probe

LOSER: Laythe Observation Seaplane and Expedient Rover

LOSS: Laythe Orbital Space Seaplane

PERV: Probe Exploration Rover for Vall

SLAC: Station, LAythe, Core

MADNESS: Modular And Dynamic New Extraplanetary Ship System

D'OH: Duna Observation Hybrid

JERK: Jool Excursion Ride for Kerbals

VAPID: VAll Probe Identifying Desirables

VACUOUS: Very Ambitious Circumnavigator Upon Oceans and Up Shores

I have separate designation systems for my rockets and my spaceplanes.

Rockets I usually name with a sort of project name, like Endeavour or Challenger, which each name denoting the target body (Challenger for Mun, Endeavour for Minmus, etc). Usually just a number after that, along with a designator for probes.

Aircraft and spaceplanes are X-something when I'm designing them and sometimes retain it if it's just something I was trying out, concept wise. If it's something that has repeated utility, like a cargo lifter or a crew transfer vehicle or whatever, I decide it's 'in-service' and in my head I have more than one of them. Those get a designation based on what kind of engines they use and whether they're intended for orbital or atmosphere use. Usually get a fancier name after the designation.

RO-1 Torpedo, my .90 orbital hauler, was "Rapier, Orbital", for example.

I also put letters after the number if it varies from the original design in some significant way.

I was planning a large, reusable craft that would stay in space for some interplanetary missions before 1.0 dropped and I restarted my career. If I end up with one of those, I consider them a 'ship' and they'll get a cool name preceded by KCS.

I typically use the early Soviet designations or something based off it - classifying craft with a prefix showing the launcher class allows me to manage the entire fleet of spacecraft at once, since earlier launchers have less deltaV.

Example:

Y372vjQ.png

Also early orbital stations that are used for orbital intercept and docking training are fittingly designated "POS" or primitive orbital station :)

POS-1 is an analogue of early Salyut or Almaz manned earth observation stations.

Edited by pandoras kitten

I use a poorly thought out, and badly implemented system:

-Greek/Roman gods for stations and satellite.

-Birds for planes and spaceplanes.

-Aquatic animals for rockets.

Then I iterate them. So a basic jet might be the albatross. Then I add rockets and switch to turbojets and name it Albatross II. Then I realise it needs more thrust, add drop srb tanks, and call it Albatross II-A.

Previous methods sound much better, so I shall be copying them from now on.

Don't use many system names...

But a few handy ones for craft that can exist in numbers and remain in the game for long periods:

CRV - Crew Return Vehicle. Attached to stations to do just that, return crews home... Usually big pods with just enough fuel to get to Kerbin and deorbit safely.

xxxComSat - RemoteTech network satellites around body xxx (e.g. KerComSat, MinComSat, DunComSat).

I use different designations for test crafts and crafts that are actually in use.

For testing, crafts are usually named CTV + letter (in alphabetical order) for crew transports. Every new redesign bears next letter and once I finalize the design and craft goes into full use it will receive a proper name.

Cargo crafts are named RSS + number (starting at 001; RSS = Resupply Space Ship) while in testing, while they also receive a proper name when I start using them.

For my rockets, I started naming them with names of characters from Asterix comics. Cargo lifters are made of Obelix 1st stage, Asterix 2nd stage and when needed Snoopix 3rd stage. Numbers in designation are there to specify what is the diameter and number of engines on the stage.

I still haven't decided on what names to use for my crew lifter rockets.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.