[1.0.5] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.0.2 Released!

Nils277

1 hour ago, Cdodders said:

what is the best way of landing these bases? Skycrane? Built in rockets?

Regarding your question, personally I would have to go with parachutes whenever possible. They have low mass, allowing more base per mission. Problem is that there less acurate than the alternatives. In the case of a body without an atmosphere, things get a bit more challanging. In these cases, a skycrane is not a bad idea, but a skycrane can end up having a fairly high mass. The base landing rockets can also work wonders here, but the low fuel supply means that some form of additional fuel storage is needed.

In a nut shell, it all depends on the destination.

6 hours ago, Cdodders said:

what is the best way of landing these bases? Skycrane? Built in rockets?

i use a ship i call the triple lander, the difference between vacuum andd atmospheric is the addition of parachutes. In Duna the ship has enough dv to slow down and eliminate the need for heat shield. RqTV0kz.png

Edited by Rafael acevedo
insert image

19 minutes ago, Rafael acevedo said:

Give me a few minutes to look though my mods, they also make excellent landing skids to keep from tipping 

Cargo ramp is on SXT

THANK YOU!

Nils, RoverDude has substantially updated USILS, including a new (optional) system that weights habitats based upon habitability (kerbals need some room to live, which this mod provides nicely!). It also adds wear and tear as a thing (also optional).

Until Nils has time to work in his Rover mod ( and my requested ice cream Rover :sticktongue:) I have used the amazing parts from this mod to build some awesome rovers.  The amazing parts in this mod with their low center of gravity once the modules are extended allow for the construction of very stable rovers. Below you will find the picture from my longest rover trek so far. A 56 km round trip trek to reach the face on Duna from the Duna Planetary Base.  Hope you like them.  And Nils i would not have executed this trek on a rover that did not have kpbs parts. thanks

nC5wXZP.png

[imgur]MVNFl[/imgur]

Edited by Rafael acevedo
Pictures

I started playing with this mod just yesterday and I must say I am rather impressed and wish I had spotted this mod earlier! I will definately be playing with this mod more on Twitch in the future. My only concern is the TacLS balancing. That plus for my needs I really need some EPL tie ins but that is my issue and not yours! :D I may tweak some part cfg files to make some parts work a bit with epl better. But... I would love a drill that fit into the bays, like a 2 slot drill that could extend up and out. 

So my dream wish list?

1. Some clearer and easier integration with TacLS (I need to build my flow chart and balance checks for it to see best way to make something self sufficient right now but it seems possible! If you have a source of ore)

2. My request for an integrated Drill system

3. Integration in some way with EPL that will allow me to use some new part from this as perhaps a manufacturing base for Rocket Parts and an EPL surveyor hub. 

That said, awesome work Nils27! I look to playing with these parts on Minmus in serious play to see what I can do with them!

4. PS: I would love an RCS part to be inline similar to the landing engines too!

Edited by TheReadPanda

so for some reason, this isn't working for me.. ive downloaded it, and I read the other comments where you said to change the name of that file, and still nothing.. I have:

B9 aerospace pack

docking port alignment

firespitter

circular panel

mechjeb

and synthesizer

could any of these possibly interfere with the working of this mod?? ive been trying different things for the last few days and I'm a little down, due to I want this mod so bad. xD  thanks, in advance.

///////////// I figured it out. I finally found where someone else had the same issue, and they had to pull out the specific file out of the whole download. cant wait to get working on this!!!!

Edited by setrick93
fixed

11 hours ago, TheReadPanda said:

I started playing with this mod just yesterday and I must say I am rather impressed and wish I had spotted this mod earlier! I will definately be playing with this mod more on Twitch in the future. My only concern is the TacLS balancing. That plus for my needs I really need some EPL tie ins but that is my issue and not yours! :D I may tweak some part cfg files to make some parts work a bit with epl better. But... I would love a drill that fit into the bays, like a 2 slot drill that could extend up and out. 

So my dream wish list?

1. Some clearer and easier integration with TacLS (I need to build my flow chart and balance checks for it to see best way to make something self sufficient right now but it seems possible! If you have a source of ore)

2. My request for an integrated Drill system

3. Integration in some way with EPL that will allow me to use some new part from this as perhaps a manufacturing base for Rocket Parts and an EPL surveyor hub. 

That said, awesome work Nils27! I look to playing with these parts on Minmus in serious play to see what I can do with them!

4. PS: I would love an RCS part to be inline similar to the landing engines too!

Drill is confirmed for the next update. Nils even posted photos a while back as I recal.

19 hours ago, setrick93 said:

so for some reason, this isn't working for me.. ive downloaded it, and I read the other comments where you said to change the name of that file, and still nothing.. I have:

B9 aerospace pack

docking port alignment

firespitter

circular panel

mechjeb

and synthesizer

could any of these possibly interfere with the working of this mod?? ive been trying different things for the last few days and I'm a little down, due to I want this mod so bad. xD  thanks, in advance.

///////////// I figured it out. I finally found where someone else had the same issue, and they had to pull out the specific file out of the whole download. cant wait to get working on this!!!!

What *was* the fix you applied? I couldn't find anything relating to making this work..

Question maybe stupid, but is there a way to force the docking of a K&K Docking-Port with a Clamp-o-Tron ?

I've noticed the incompatibility once all my base arrived on Duna :huh:

I suppose that I should modify the line:

bulkheadProfiles = PlanetaryBase

to

bulkheadProfiles = PlanetaryBase, size1

Edited by ndiver

4 hours ago, ndiver said:

Question maybe stupid, but is there a way to force the docking of a K&K Docking-Port with a Clamp-o-Tron ?

I've noticed the incompatibility once all my base arrived on Duna :huh:

I suppose that I should modify the line:

bulkheadProfiles = PlanetaryBase

to

bulkheadProfiles = PlanetaryBase, size1

Part of the point is that they aren't compatible... I would suggest using KAS and KIS to replace the port, just send a container probe.

2 hours ago, ndiver said:

Yes but part of my question was: what makes them incompatible to each other? Specifically, is it this bulkheadProfiles line?

Yep. From what I know of the coding in ksp, that line is the only reason. The idea behind it is that it prevents mk2 docking ports from connecting to mk1 docking ports.

8 hours ago, ndiver said:

Specifically, is it this bulkheadProfiles line?

No. There's a nodeType line in moduledockingport. Be advised that multiple types per one port are not supported in stock.

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDockingNode
		referenceAttachNode = top
		nodeType = size1
		stagingEnabled = False
	}

Edited by sashan

Ok, thanks for the explanation :-/ Meaning, if in understand, that there is no way to get a docking port that could fit to both size 1 and PBS.

You said it is not supported stock. But not stock, there is a way?

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

@ndiver Have a look at what CaptainKipard did with Universal Docking Ports, they can mate to different sizes.

The bulkheadProfiles parameter is only used for filtering in the editor listings as far as I know.

Ignore the following, editor glitch.

bulkheadProfiles

I just checked the mod in question and found this section:

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleDockingNode
	nodeType = size0,size1,size2
	referenceAttachNode = top
	nodeTransformName = n_top

I will try to modify the nodeType line to check if it solve my problem

Docking the modules can be tricky since terrain and the lack of auto leveling legs, can cause the the modules to be off. Suggestions, that have worked for me. Move to another docking port, raise and lower the legs on both modules and do offsets (such as rising te left side first then the right,) also you can use kas to link the modules and give both the visual and functional appearance of docking, finally just fully exit and restart the game, on more than one occasion I have found the modules docked upon my return or suddenly being able to dock 

Edited by Rafael acevedo