I'm depressed. :(

kiwi1960

Now, this is not a rant about the evil's of marriage... far from it, OR moving house. Its TODAY I'm talking about.

Let me explain.

I got married on February 10th, and being Dutch (living in NZ since before time began) I got into an online relationship with a woman in Holland (OK, in case my wife sees this post, Nederland, because Holland, she tells me, is only a province of Nederland) and on 24th of January, she arrived for a holiday but we hit it off so well, we put caution to the wind and got married, and we both do not regret that move.

BUT... since then, its been a fight and a half to get her status her approved so she can stay here... no wonder most people give up and go home. :(

So, that drastically cut into my KSP playing time, not only to I need to devote time to Rianne (my wife) but also to the fight with the immigration people.

ON TOP OF THAT.... we moved to a larger house. I should be happy, I have a larger computer room (Man cave) and also a workshop outside but....

The man cave is only half set up and I have computers everywhere (I used to be a computer tech) ... so THAT also cuts into my KSP time....

and then... while we have moved in, there is still a heap of stuff outside that needs to go to the rubbish dump... and the weather (winter here) hasn't been kind, recent flooding here is proof of that) so THAT is on my mind.... it cuts into my KSP playing time...

And the recent 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 version updates SCARED me so much that for a time, I stopped playing KSP altogther in case my persistence file malfunctioned... I need not have worried, mostly... it seems to still work...

But the mods... argghhh... what works and what doesn't? They APPEAR to all work... that fear cut into my playing time too.... :(

And now.... after all that, I cannot seem to want to load KSP and get Valentina off the Mun. I'm scared the mods wont work or the new changes will kill Valentina as she re-enters the atmosphere... you may not care, or think this is trivial, but its a personal challenge for me to keep them alive.

And that depresses me...

I have not loaded KSP for days now.... I think I need a group hug, or maybe some counselling...

Maybe if I say that if I get one hundred hugs, or posts of encouragement ... I'll load the game. But I won't.

Anyone ever had a situation like this, what snapped you out of the depression... :(

Edited by kiwi1960

The best medication I can give you are save-backups. Copy and paste those bad boys! Once you have multiple copies of your saves on your computer, you should be perfectly safe to try out KSP. :)

Also, spending a few days off of KSP isn't that bad. After all, real life does come first. But hey, have an internet hug! *hugs*

Failure is not an option. If your Kerbals are stuck with the pre-1.0 hardware, send a rescue mission. If they have post 1.0 hardware, they'll be fine so long as you don't put their Kerbin periapsis in the negative.

And there's only a couple of mods that don't work right as of yet. Most are working fine. (though they may have to be updated on your end)

I have not had any mods not work, a couple say they are incompatible, but really their version just has not been updated. The only one that I have doubts about is the official mechjeb, and only because the autoflying seems squirelly. Also hasn't had version updated for ckan.

Sometimes I get into a funk like this. I will have a stretch of not playing Kerbal for a week or two, just because I am busy or because my career game is at a bit of a sticky or boring point. I also find that I am less inclined to play Kerbal when I am drunk (or really, really stoned... being normal-stoned makes KSP pretty awesome though) or tired. I don't have the enthusiasm I need for a sandbox/project game. My favorite, most productive, and most enjoyable moments playing KSP have been early in the morning. Nothing like 7am on a Saturday, drinking tons of coffee and launching all kinds of interesting vehicles. For whatever reason that is when I am in the optimal Kerballing mindset.

You might have your own peak mental state for playing KSP. If you can identify it, just wait until things settle and then play KSP at your peak state. That always breaks me out of my funks.

Anyone ever had a situation like this, what snapped you out of the depression... :(

Well, congrats on the marriage. Hope you have better luck with it than I did :D. Long life, many children, all that :cool:

The easiest way to get over a KSP update is to just pretend a supernova happened and start over. Why much around in 1.0.2 when 1.0.4 has a better (if also sometimes harsher) heat model, somewhat fewer bugs, and new parts to play with? Start stock if you must and add your mods as they become available. But in general, a lot of 1.0 and 1.0.2 mods work in 1.0.4. Use at your own risk, but the main changes there were to aero and heat, so if the mod doesn't touch those subjects (which mostly but not always means it doesn't have parts), you should be OK. If it's flight instrumentation needing engine stats and such, however, you need a current version.

Well, congrats on the marriage. Hope you have better luck with it than I did :D. Long life, many children, all that :cool:

My user name is the give away... I'm 55 this month and Rianne is only 8 months younger. She has kids from a previous marriage and so do I, all adults now.

I really really really hope there won;t be any children... but that is impossible.

------------------

Thanks guys, all of you... I might load up the game later on and ... I might just test out the heat and aerodynamics before sending a rescue ship to get her...

I forgot to mention... I didn't put any chutes on her ship, so, a rescue mission was always needed. :)

I'm in the same boat. Stress can pile up and change what you consider rewarding and fun. KSP is, at it's heart, a very challenging game that requires a lot of skill and forethought. If recent events in your life have demanded much of those same skills then even thinking of planning a mars mission seems like a job instead of a game.

My advice? Take your wife and go on a long walk somewhere. Unwind... clear your head for a few days. Wait until your mind craves the challenge again then come back. The best part is you can hang around the forum until that point, maybe someone will post a craft or story that will inspire you and everything will click back in place.

In the end, this is just a video game... and if there is one thing this game teaches us it is that there is a huge, amazing universe out there beyond our little computers. Go enjoy it. :)

Honestly, I think the best thing is to walk away from the computer games entirely from time to time (talking days or weeks, nothing more drastic). Don't get me wrong, I'm one of those people who rolls their eyes whenever anyone looks down on my hobby, over say, reading, going to the theatre, or playing sport. Its no better or worse than any other pastime. But seriously, sometimes its good to get away, go on bushwalks, go do something cultural you would never ordinarily do... like ballet, symphony, go watch some community level Rugby.... I imagine there would be a great community spirit in club Rugby in NZ.

Best thing I can say is never run away from your problems. Facing them head on can be scary sometimes, but that's a perfectly natural response. Having the courage to confront your issues, especially when you feel nothing in the universe wants you to, is a great thing to have, and often means you are capable of much more.

The path to self-realization if paved with trials of endurance, but you must be strong for yourself, and only then may you find the truth inside of you.

Strong will is the first step in communicating with your one true self, for it is your ideals that make you who you are.

I will have to agree with xacktar. There is more to life than computer games and KSP. Devote extra time to your spouse do things together and don't let those pesky immigration people get to you, the final victory over them will be more satisfying. I am also taking a long break from computer games (have not played KSP since it hit 0.90) and concentrate on other real life things, for me the most important thing the last 2 months is my final preparation for a mountain marathon at the end of July, fun fact physical activity and especially running can lower depression levels, as mentioned go for a walk at a park and if possible a daily excursion at nature will boost your morale and your mood. You can also read a book, it will take your mind of from things for while. The most important thing right now is not to let depression get any worse, close any TV you have and don't listen to any news, they can hit you real bad, an alternative is to start a garden (even better if it is a vegetable garden the feeling of satisfaction will take away the depression). Take your time until you mentally feel much better and then start playing games/KSP they are not going anywhere they are meant to be fun and not stressful and you you will have the challenge of getting to remember of how you did things the last time you played those games

You live in a beautiful country, like most people said here, enjoy it!

In the mean time, I'm stuck here in the Netherlands. We might have a heat wave here now, but you know all too well what the rest of the year will look like......

The things that cut into your KSP time are more important.

Besides, those concern your well-being in the long run. They may seem like a "chore" now, but you'll feel better once they're done.

Especially the wife-thing. A happy wife, makes for a happy man!

I find that cutting down on the use of three dots (...) drastically reduces the depression. Also, for added confidence, use more exclamation marks to stress your points!

Stop using triple dots and report back!

Ah we have a grammar-moderator on the forum. I didn't know that.

But know that my use of the triple dots in this case (which actually are sixtuple dots) are meant to make the reader think for themselves.

Also it conveys a small joke which seems lost on some... (see what I did there? you know who I meant without me telling it out loud).

And two exclamation marks. Yes, those things are invented for a reason which you can google for yourself.

Just be glad I didn't type in all-caps.

Do you have anything else non-constructive to contribute to the thread?

I feel you. I've pretty much stopped modding for the moment because I'm dealing with buying a house, the inevitable "bounty" of summer guests, and a change in job duties (moving to a different department), not to mention the day-to-day activities involved with being a father. But I know that, even if it takes a few months, I'll be back on the case. Patience is a lovely virtue.

First off: WOOOOOOOOOOO! congrats on getting married dude! May you live long and prosper :)

As for the whole KSP anxiety thing, I feel you. I've been hesitant to start up KSP myself because of the recent amount of updates. Personally, I would suggest the following: take one version of KSP, get it up to speed with your favorite mods and stick with said version until you want to upgrade to the newest one. Games are meant to be fun, so once you find a place that is fun, stick to it. If the game updates, but you don't feel comfortable upgrading yet, just sit it out and wait until you feel you actually want to update yourself. If you're running the game on steam, make sure you have a backup copy of the KSP folder of your favorite version and turn off automatic updates. For reference: the pathway you want for the KSP folder (using a steam install) is program files/steam/steamapps/common/Kerbalspaceprogram (or possibly KSP, I'm not too sure about the exact folder name and I'm not on my gaming PC right now).

Finally, here's something someone on "teh internets" once taught me to do in cases like this. Just follow these steps. Don't read on to see where I'm going with this, just do it as you read :P

1) sit up straight in front of your PC screen.

2) make a fist with your right hand (or left if you're left handed)

3) position your arm horizontally and move your fist forward until your knuckles touch the screen (make sure not to damage your screen)

4) you have now been given an internet brofist. You have achieved +1 awesome.

Ah we have a grammar-moderator on the forum. I didn't know that.

But know that my use of the triple dots in this case (which actually are sixtuple dots) are meant to make the reader think for themselves.

Also it conveys a small joke which seems lost on some... (see what I did there? you know who I meant without me telling it out loud).

And two exclamation marks. Yes, those things are invented for a reason which you can google for yourself.

Just be glad I didn't type in all-caps.

Do you have anything else non-constructive to contribute to the thread?

Wrong, absolutely wrong, about as wrong as tourist contracts for Kerbol suborbital flights. This is not about grammar at all.

Three dots are a typical sign of a depression. When used sparingly, they hint the reader to draw a conclusion to the statement themselves. When used in abundance, however, they hint to the person's brooding personality. Emos are easily recognized by the abundance of three dots in their posts.

It can also be seen as self-pitying. If the user limits himself on self-pitying, he naturally will begin to feel better - post writing style is no exception.

Change your own perception of yourself and it'll have an effect on your own psyche.

In the OP's case of immigration bureaucracy battling, I would see it as a challenge rather than the inevitable fact. Different perception, different psychological effect.

Wrong, absolutely wrong, about as wrong as tourist contracts for Kerbol suborbital flights. This is not about grammar at all.

Three dots are a typical sign of a depression. When used sparingly, they hint the reader to draw a conclusion to the statement themselves. When used in abundance, however, they hint to the person's brooding personality. Emos are easily recognized by the abundance of three dots in their posts.

It can also be seen as self-pitying. If the user limits himself on self-pitying, he naturally will begin to feel better - post writing style is no exception.

Change your own perception of yourself and it'll have an effect on your own psyche.

In the OP's case of immigration bureaucracy battling, I would see it as a challenge rather than the inevitable fact. Different perception, different psychological effect.

Actually, I've been using three dots instead of a comma since I was a kid. Came from reading all those Superman and Dan Dare comics.

Maybe I should tell you all the truth... not that i was hiding it but I actually hate getting sympathy... (sorry, old habits...)

Lets see, I suffer from...

Multiple Sclerosis (and there is no cure)

Because of that, I have M.S. induced double vision (makes playing KSP hard)

and M.S. induced dementia. :(

I also suffer from...

Diabetes... I take two kinds of insulin.

and because of the MS double vision and diabetes: I'm slowly going blind :(

I also have a heart condition!

AND... to cap it all off, I have always had mild arthritis in my knees, but shifting house means my right knee now hurts, makes a constant clicking sound when I walk...

...and I'm told I'll need a new knee or knees... (if they do one, they usually do both at the same time!)

So, as much as Rianne and and I loved to walk before the move, we cannot now. :(

As for "banging" the wife, I love your romantic turn of phrase, but that is only a very small component of marriage. You may find that out yourself one day.

I played KSP tonight! I built a rocket plane just for fun.

I also built a rescue capsule and as I said I would, I tested it before sending it to the Mun. I goofed, I separated the fuel tank in the upper atmosphere but it also deployed the chute, it crashed into the ground. So, easy fix, have the tank jettison first and then when safe enough, deploy the chute. I'd be playing it now but the game crashed. :(

And if you wonder why I haven't made many typos, well, its taken me 30 minutes to type this post but as I started typing when very young, not many typos to begin with.

Given all that, its kind of hard to relax... but I'l keep playing KSP till the day I die. I do play other games but KSP is magical in that I always return to it as its addictive.

Given the nice replies to my post, I'm not depressed any more. Thanks one and all.

BTW, I dispute the claim that using three dots rather than a comma is a sign of depression! Three dots is the universal writers way of saying... more to come... :)

Edited by kiwi1960
fixing typos

Good, now re-read your own post. In the parts where you talk about your conditions and life, you use a lot of triple dots.

When it gets to the more cheerful, positive part, you use less triple dots and more exclamation marks.

I hope you now see what I mean by perspective ;)