KSP Caveman Challenge!

Grats Bev ; )

(edit: hum hum finally made it to orbit pretty easily on third rocket design try with a pretty simple one in fact & of course without watching other designs and with my own blind launch attempt ;) , time to finish the tech tree with some orbital science now ; )

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Good job on docking pure visual with no RCS or navball assistance. thats just hardcore. its alot easier when you can easily kill relitive velocity a few dozen meters away, poitn both ships at eachother and just give it a touch of gas to dock.

Thanks and yes that's how I normally dock, docking is not hard if you can rotate both ships (when you have the nav ball to help zero you relative speed).

Question: How many have been to Duna as a caveman?

And I am not talking about throwing a rock(probe) at Duna.

I am planning such a voyage just for.... reasons.

Interplanetary log of two trips to Duna and both were accomplished using a full set of advanced tools. Unable to unlearn from those voyages, the knowledge of the phase angle and the usefulness of the atmosphere are equipped.

The plan is to construct with Dock Port Jr. and link several parts while in LKO to create two vessels. The brave cavemen in boulders will be off to Duna. Land and return.

P.S. Well done to all the new cavemen. This cave is filling up fast. Scouting for other caves sounds reasonable.

I did not. I had strongly considered a flyby of either Duna or Eve. dV to Gilly's definitely in the cards, but I have trouble rendezvousing with that little rock even WITH orbit predictions. I'd hate to try it without.

If I did, though, I'd break down and look up all the phase angles and also actually DO MATH when returning to verify my ship and Kerbin would be at the same place at the same time, and both of those - to me - go against the spirit of the challenge. We make fire. Fire make rocket go. :D

I hadn't attempted it and wouldn't be inclined to try.

I have no problem with doing math or other cavemen doing math (in fact I encourage it) but the margin of error on that project is so razor thin that I'd consider a successful rendezvous to be as much luck as skill.

And yeah, the wall is filling up fast. I don't know what I'm gonna do if it gets filled completely. Think of something else, I guess...

Best,

-Slashy

d41jKvUl.png

tgVuhm1m.png17GBEYwm.jpg

Successfull reentry, kinda happy with that because i never really tried to play without some "assist(s)" so far

(had to test 3 launcher design & then orbit and reentry succesfull on first try with the right design).

updated with latest progress and orbit achieved: And this is where thing start to become a little bit more complicated 440 pts to go ; )

Edit:

NGmqIrZl.png?1

uDRsKl3l.png

GAAKK7Al.jpg?1

; ) mostly used contract near the end ; ) but could have done a few others ways also ; )

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
Success ; )

The crazy cavemen are at it again!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

These were docked on land similar to a train. These boosters are the bottom part of the vessel. The next step is to attach vertical. Using launch clamps to raise the Duna Explorer Vessel the plan is to roll these boosters under and dock. I have to admit that the vessel was calculated with KER. The only disadvantage is a docking port is used instead of separator and KER gets confused. Once in LKO there might be a need to launch extra fuel.

Editing in the VAB/SPH using the gizmos was when I fully appreciated having those gizmos.

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

Oooo you doing docking on ground as well. I thought you where just going to do space docking.... this is going to be much more like mine then I thought.

I hope to post mine by Monday maybe before. I keep running in to things that I think should work but doesn't.

http://imgur.com/a/Hd5br

These were docked on land similar to a train. These boosters are the bottom part of the vessel. The next step is to attach vertical. Using launch clamps to raise the Duna Explorer Vessel the plan is to roll these boosters under and dock. I have to admit that the vessel was calculated with KER. The only disadvantage is a docking port is used instead of separator and KER gets confused. Once in LKO there might be a need to launch extra fuel.

Editing in the VAB/SPH using the gizmos was when I fully appreciated having those gizmos.

I'm giving this a go as well. Except it's one launch and unmanned

@ Bev7787

Were you excited when the encounter happened, I was. Great job.

I am just finishing with the design of the modular rocket building system and was about to start testing how many rocks(probes) will it take to hit Duna. From watching your video I am using eight instead of ten as a starting point.

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Phase 1 complete but it did not go well as was hoped. Adding the side boosters was a lot harder than expected. the plan was to add 6 but only did 5. had to reload back to 4 so it would be balanced. Also they flapped around to much it flight so I losted a lot of thrust/fuel. Then detaching them was also tricky and slow. The plan was to lift this booster stage into orbit fully fueled but in the end I only got 50%. But after seeing Bev's mission I have hopes it will be fine. Next I have to launch the lander. the only question is do I chicken out and send a small one way unmaned craft or do I keep with the plan?

I found horizontal docking on the ground quite hard. Vertical docking on the other hand I found quite easy, but cavemen are limited to 20m which I hit when trying to make a craft 3 parts high. Also you might want to think about having your side boosters on decouplers as well as docking ports as trying to undocking a number of moving docking ports can be slow.

My early carts had Vertical boosters on them so they could boost up to dock but I found that it was easier just to set the height right so I just had to drive under it. Some time I have to lower and rise my wheels but that's the most I have to do.

Here is some concept I came up with when making my carts:

Cart

Edited by ttnarg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.