Awesome things you noticed during amission

hugix

Since there is a stupid things during a mission thread, lets talk positive and share our good luck moments during our missions.

I'll start

Today in my career mode game I went for my second Mun landing mission with Valentina as pilot. As the first mission was on the Kerbin facing side of the Mun, this one was due to land in the East farside crater.

during descent I landed pretty close to the canyon biome east of the east farside biome. During EVA to gather some science from that area I noticed how many biomes where packed so close together. within EVA pack travelling distance I had Highlands, Highland craters, East farside crater, Midlands & canyon EVA reports and surface samples. Waaay more science than planned to get during the mission.

And in a sandbox game a few days ago I did a Eloo return trip. When fidlling around with the manouver node I got my apoapsis and ascending node with Eloo in the same place, which saved me tha hassle of doing a plane change correction halfway my mission (and saving precious delta V).

That after all the time I've spent working with the Tantares mod, I can now fly an LOK/LK Mun mission more efficiently that I can an Apollo one.

Had contracts for gathering scientific data from near the Mun and transmitting or returning it, and making a pass of Minmus. I had noticed today that Minmus was rather close to the Mun, so I hopped on a satellite I had put in orbit just for the heck of it and checked what the maneuver nodes would yield, and lo and behold, a pass of the Mun and injection into Minmus SOI came into view. And people say satellites are useless.

I didn't feel like sending a kerbal for a mission that was rather simple, so I put together a drone-piloted craft and tacked on a thermometer for the science bit. Well, I also didn't put on a kerbal because from what I saw of the navigation track, those passes were going to shoot the craft right out of the Kerbin system and into solar orbit. I figured that was a prime time to just go ahead and send an drone out into solar orbit for further studies, should the opportunities arise. So, after a successful pass of the Mun and Minmus, I noticed the craft was already halfway to touching Duna's orbit. It didn't even require much more dV to finish the job, so I might just be able to gather some nice science from Duna's space if the next orbit allows. For the time being, that drone will be out in solar orbit giving me some other data to learn from.

It also helped that completing those two contracts doubled my funds, so it definitely paid for itself. Gotta love multi-tiered missions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.