Discussion thread - BD Armory AI tournaments

What features would you like in a AI dogfighting tournament?  

423 members have voted

1. 1. What features would you like in a AI dogfighting tournament?

• Stock + BD Armory only
    • Other mods too (please state preferences)
    • 2 v 2 format as mentioned in OP
    • Another format (please state details)
    • Stock aerodynamic model
    • FAR aerodynamic model
    • Open entry class
    • Different classes of planes
    • Open weapon loadouts
    • Restricted weapon loadouts

I just check to fit with 60 PTS , & i'm at 53 Pts , i'm fine with that !

ah , yep i add one parts to the craft ( stock part ) , 55 Parts now ! & Coffee still not include with the craft :P

Edited by ZLM-Master

Tournament Announcement

I like my weekly tournament idea so much, I'm going to host one tomorrow. If you want to be in it, link your .craft by Sunday 7 PM GMT (12 noon pacific time) and I'll run a standard tournament bracket.

Tournament Rules:

-Fights are 2v2 (you can use two different planes if you want)

-Each match-up will be a best of 5 (first to 3 wins advances)

-Last flying aircraft wins (if the last 2 planes blow each other up, the round will be called a draw)

-I'll record and post all the fights to Youtube, one match-up per video with no editing

-Aircraft will be launched with each team starting together and 2.1 km away from the other team

*the start will be just like the start in this video:

Aircraft Requirements:

-Stock + BD Armory only, no other mods will be loaded

-80 parts or less per plane (sorry, that's all my computer can handle)

-Has less than 60 points of weapons per plane (point system detailed below)

-All turrets must be locked (0 degrees of motion in all directions)

-Your aircraft must fly

-Minimal Clipping (No hiding parts inside of other parts)

*clipping up to 30% of a part inside another part is acceptable (This is hard to judge, just try not to go overboard with your clipping)

*No clipping of fuel tanks inside other fuel tanks

Weapon Point System:

-Missiles - 4 points (all types)

-CM pods - 5 points

-Ammo Can - 4 points (all types)

-.50 cal turret - 4 points

-GAU 8 30mm - 11 points

-M230 - 6 points

-Vulcan Hidden - 9 points

-Vulcan Turret - 8 points

-Goalkeeper - Banned

-Abrams Cannon - Banned

-M102 - Banned

-Millennium Cannon - Banned

*If there's something I forgot, suggest a point value and I'll add it to the list.

*Let me know if you think these point values should be changed. I've done some testing, but nothing extensive.

Right now I have the following Aircraft:

ZLM's Dassault - Rafale Shark

keptin's Helion III-D

Darren9's Daz1

Bob_Saget54's Mosquito Mk. II-A

Mad Rocket Scientist's MiG-35-BD

PixelStory's The-X-Viper-Elite

Let me know if there's anything I forgot

I don't have time to test this, but this is a variant of my light single-engine deltawing fighter which, to my sums, comes out at 57 points.

Colmo-Korp 141A:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B15B3MQ2F4JTUWV2cC1Falk5WlU

I'm pretty sure the M230 is undercosted, the Hellion only has two and is already pretty lethal, and is parsimonious with ammo so only needs one can per two guns maybe.

Poll mod request:

KAX + FAR.

For some serious WW2 fighting without missiles.

That would make an excellent variant 'WW2 fighter' class, possibly with Tweakscale and Firespitter too.

I'd recommend toning down the hidden Vulcan with a reduced fire rate (in the weapon cfg), more consistent with WW2.Those old Hurricanes still flew when shot to ribbons!

Tournament Announcement

I like my weekly tournament idea so much, I'm going to host one tomorrow. If you want to be in it, link your .craft by Sunday 7 PM GMT (12 noon pacific time) and I'll run a standard tournament bracket.

Tournament Rules:

-Fights are 2v2 (you can use two different planes if you want)

-Each match-up will be a best of 5 (first to 3 wins advances)

-Last flying aircraft wins (if the last 2 planes blow each other up, the round will be called a draw)

-I'll record and post all the fights to Youtube, one match-up per video with no editing

-Aircraft will be launched with each team starting together and 2.1 km away from the other team

*the start will be just like the start in this video:

Aircraft Requirements:

-Stock + BD Armory only, no other mods will be loaded

-80 parts or less per plane (sorry, that's all my computer can handle)

-Has less than 60 points of weapons per plane (point system detailed below)

-All turrets must be locked (0 degrees of motion in all directions)

-Your aircraft must fly

-Minimal Clipping (No hiding parts inside of other parts)

*clipping up to 30% of a part inside another part is acceptable (This is hard to judge, just try not to go overboard with your clipping)

*No clipping of fuel tanks inside other fuel tanks

Weapon Point System:

-Missiles - 4 points (all types)

-CM pods - 5 points

-Ammo Can - 4 points (all types)

-.50 cal turret - 4 points

-GAU 8 30mm - 11 points

-M230 - 6 points

-Vulcan Hidden - 9 points

-Vulcan Turret - 8 points

-Goalkeeper - Banned

-Abrams Cannon - Banned

-M102 - Banned

-Millennium Cannon - Banned

*If there's something I forgot, suggest a point value and I'll add it to the list.

*Let me know if you think these point values should be changed. I've done some testing, but nothing extensive.

Right now I have the following Aircraft:

ZLM's Dassault - Rafale Shark

keptin's Helion III-D

Darren9's Daz1

Bob_Saget54's Mosquito Mk. II-A

Mad Rocket Scientist's MiG-35-BD

PixelStory's The-X-Viper-Elite

Let me know if there's anything I forgot

Sign me up as well if I still can. http://kerbalx.com/erasmusguy/RasTech-K-4g-Advanced :D

Round 1 of the tournament is complete. I'm going to upload the videos and take a small intermission to eat lunch. You can check the results here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129182-Gauging-interest-stock-BD-Armory-dogfighters-AI-tournament?p=2102177&viewfull=1#post2102177

And I'll link the videos as soon as they're uploaded.

So far I think the tournament has been going great. The fights have been very exciting. The last battle between the Goblin and the Helion was spectacular (though i might be a little biased). 2 of the fights lasted until the fighters ran out of fuel!

Congratulations to all the fighters who are advancing to the next round!

I'm working on my craft: the BD Hornet. (Design secret for now, will post when I get Dropbox figured out.)

It's too late for today's tournament, but I'm sure you'll get some people to skirmish with you when you get it uploaded. I usually use pastebin to upload my .craft files. It's free, and you dont have to make an account.

Round 1 of the tournament is complete. I'm going to upload the videos and take a small intermission to eat lunch. You can check the results here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129182-Gauging-interest-stock-BD-Armory-dogfighters-AI-tournament?p=2102177&viewfull=1#post2102177

And I'll link the videos as soon as they're uploaded.

So far I think the tournament has been going great. The fights have been very exciting. The last battle between the Goblin and the Helion was spectacular (though i might be a little biased). 2 of the fights lasted until the fighters ran out of fuel!

Congratulations to all the fighters who are advancing to the next round!

It's too late for today's tournament, but I'm sure you'll get some people to skirmish with you when you get it uploaded. I usually use pastebin to upload my .craft files. It's free, and you dont have to make an account.

kerbalx is back http://kerbalx.com/erasmusguy/RasTech-K-4g-Advanced and my plane wants some action!

Umm, I made mine before any contest or loadout rules were decided and didn't enter it myself. Pretty sure I've got 6 flare, 3 hidden vulcan and 4 ammo (75 points?), did you take some off?

Edit - it can go if you take off a flare (they're in pairs so put 1 back) and two ammo, and if you've got time adjust the autopilot so it can fly in a straight line :cool:

Edited by Darren9

Hey @Colmo, How Do I get the badge? I would like to use it :)

Click Reply with Quote on the top post, and copy and paste the BBcode. I think it's just image tags round the URL

Ha! Just in time!

You're up against the 141A, good luck :wink:

Woot, a whitewash in the first round!

It isn't my best plane either...

Presenting: the BD Hornet Drone 3-B, also known as the Shuttlecock for its errm . . . distinctive . . . appearance. It has 1 Sidewinder, 6 countermeasure pods, 2 hidden Vulcans, and 2 ammo boxes, for a total of 60 points.

http://pastebin.com/vsL8KJu7

(I didn't see any rules saying the plane had to be manned, but I can put in a cockpit (or external seat :sticktongue:) if you really want me to.)

Wow! My craft, "The X-Viper Elite" did much worse than I thought! Meh, thats fine. I have a TON of other planes in

progress.

Anyways, 2 questions:

1. Is this double elimination, triple elimination, ect...

2. In future Torneys, Will will be able to switch crafts in-between matches?

Yop !

@t3hJimmer

Please ! OOOhh : please ! Can you keep the minimal size HUD with missiles & planes cursor , just hide navball & resources .

It's difficult to understand what's happen far than the tiny white smoke !

Anyway ! Still work on my Eagle for the next time , wasn't flight well enough to enter with the Shark .

Got some other machup movie to watch & thx or upload them all .

EDIT : Is someone know a Mod for having in-game replay ? Like a lot of game !

Edited by ZLM

Um, you're still advancing my plane through the rounds and I didn't enter it and it doesn't meet the rules? You have to at least check they meet the rules you made if you're going to collect up .crafts from anywhere in the thread without asking people. I mean, I went to bed and next day I'm in the final of a contest I shouldn't even be in?

Um, you're still advancing my plane through the rounds and I didn't enter it and it doesn't meet the rules? You have to at least check they meet the rules you made if you're going to collect up .crafts from anywhere in the thread without asking people. I mean, I went to bed and next day I'm in the final of a contest I shouldn't even be in?

Check the tournament post, I said i modified planes that were outside the rules. I took off one CM pod and one hidden Vulcan to get you under 60 points

You can forfeit if you want....:sticktongue: Right now you're 1-1 vs the shark, but I had a crash so I'm restarting the match.

That would make an excellent variant 'WW2 fighter' class, possibly with Tweakscale and Firespitter too.

I'd recommend toning down the hidden Vulcan with a reduced fire rate (in the weapon cfg), more consistent with WW2.Those old Hurricanes still flew when shot to ribbons!

I don't really see the need for Tweakscale, and Firespitter is totally unbalanced in the engine department. Personally I feel KAX is good enough.

I don't really see the need for Tweakscale, and Firespitter is totally unbalanced in the engine department. Personally I feel KAX is good enough.

Totally agree ! KAX is enough for having rotor & turboprop . Generally i use tweackscale on my Copter to shape them !

Yop !

@t3hJimmer

Please ! OOOhh : please ! Can you keep the minimal size HUD with missiles & planes cursor , just hide navball & resources .

It's difficult to understand what's happen far than the tiny white smoke !

You got it!

Congrats on the win bby!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.