Is playing KSP cheating?

Robotengineer

Yes, and I'm happy to call myself a cheater. It's cheaper in the long run and I don't have to deal with the lawsuits dropping spent rocket stages on Mexico, Oklahoma or Louisiana would invariably bring.

If it works like Skylab, the most you would get is a fine for littering.

This thread wasn't in response to your thread primarily, but rather to the general 'Is [some feature, mod, etc.] cheating?' vibe. There seems to be a thread like that floating around almost always.

Yeah, I just wanted to make it clear that I'm largely agreed with you on these things. I figured the "and reaction wheels, they're just pure cheating" bit was my fault though?

Edited by BlueCanary

OH WELL Since you put it like that, I downloaded some moar cheats to add to the cheats, then I strapped SRB's to the cheats, and cheated my way out of the fake half planet world using other cheaty parts such as kerbal pilots and cheating calculators so i can calculate the cheats, or sometimes readout the cheats live on screen. Other cheats include the cheat menu, when the kraken turns up when in DIRE need of cheating, one can totally cheat.

I mean, how the hell would I know if its more or less realistic, flying building things yay

Playing KSP entirely from cockpit IVA and/or a screen fully covered by opaque KER info panels is not cheating. KSP's default camera views is cheating, unless viewed using camera parts mounted externally or using tiny "selfie drone" equipped with cameras.... MJ is totally fine though ;)

Look people, playing KSP is no more cheating, than telling the government you are a leader of an obscure religion with no income and many fictitious taxable deductions to avoid paying tax is cheating. Get over it.

...or professionally, as politicians, lawyers or accountants (who specifically 'game' the system).

Whoa! "Gaming the system" just means someone read ALL the rules, including all the fine print, and learned some new moves. It's all about following the rules, but also following a few you didn't know about that give me a competitive advantage. You can call it many things, but it's emphatically not cheating.

An important feature of gaming the system is that anyone can do it. You don't need friends in high places, or special privileges. It's all right there in the rulebook. Most people just don't read it.

/been happily gaming the system my whole life. :)

Whoa! "Gaming the system" just means someone read ALL the rules, including all the fine print, and learned some new moves. It's all about following the rules, but also following a few you didn't know about that give me a competitive advantage. You can call it many things, but it's emphatically not cheating.

It's not quite that simple. Gaming the system can (and often does) verge into grey areas that some consider cheating.

For instance, Lance Armstrong used to drug himself to the point where his blood tests would juuuust pass. I suspect that he thought he was "gaming the system" but now we see that most everybody else thought he was cheating.

Do you feel cheaty playing KSP?

I kind of do, I mean, if you really want to have a real space program, you should just go out and start one right? Plus the system is so small, like, the ∆V requirements are less than half what they are IRL, so that must be cheating. Then there are the engines, which are cheating because they use this LiquidFuel and Oxidizer stuff, which isn't really real, so that has to be cheating. Then there are reaction wheels, which are just plain cheating.

So isn't the whole game a cheat? Sure, you may not have the capital to start your own space program but that's no excuse for not doing a bottle rocket or something.

/sarcasm

I'm sure there's a few GFs/wives out there who think so. lol

Ooh, I can't wait for multiplayer to be implemented and watch similar but more heated "discussions" ensue.

I'll have to stock up on popcorn...

Multiplayer? I think there's a mod for that somewhere.... :P

Cheating won't be a problem in multiplayer - I suspect deorbits might be a problem on public servers, or "I stole your vessel" type situations... If only someone had coded groups :<

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.