[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

I've been tracking a couple of weird NREs related to the SC-B-CMX's docking port (or possibly all pods, I haven't checked).

The first is in the editor and happens when something is attached to the CM's top node Never mind, just found out this is a stock bug with having a docking port on the root part.

Spoiler

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PreFlightTests.DockingPortFacing.RecurseHierarchy (.Part part) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at PreFlightTests.DockingPortFacing.TestCondition () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at PreFlightTests.DesignConcernBase.Test () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at EngineersReport+. () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at EngineersReport.RunTests () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at EngineersReport+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

The second is FAR specific, and happens when something is detached from the top node

Spoiler

NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetGameObject ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_gameObject () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.VehicleVoxel.UpdateFromMesh (System.Object meshParamsObject) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARThreading.ThreadSafeDebugLogger:Update()

As it's FAR specific, I couldn't say I blame you if you refuse to investigate, but it concerns me that something as basic as component.gameObject should be failing.

This seems like an odd issue, but do you have any idea what might be causing it?

53 minutes ago, blowfish said:

I've been tracking a couple of weird NREs related to the SC-B-CMX's docking port (or possibly all pods, I haven't checked).

The first is in the editor and happens when something is attached to the CM's top node Never mind, just found out this is a stock bug with having a docking port on the root part.

Reveal hidden contents

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PreFlightTests.DockingPortFacing.RecurseHierarchy (.Part part) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at PreFlightTests.DockingPortFacing.TestCondition () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at PreFlightTests.DesignConcernBase.Test () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at EngineersReport+. () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at EngineersReport.RunTests () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at EngineersReport+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

The second is FAR specific, and happens when something is detached from the top node

Hide contents

NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetGameObject ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_gameObject () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.VehicleVoxel.UpdateFromMesh (System.Object meshParamsObject) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARThreading.ThreadSafeDebugLogger:Update()

As it's FAR specific, I couldn't say I blame you if you refuse to investigate, but it concerns me that something as basic as component.gameObject should be failing.

This seems like an odd issue, but do you have any idea what might be causing it?

Aye, the first seems to be a stock bug related to root parts, or at least is only triggered by a docking port on the root part.

For the second -- From the signature it appears that FAR has cached a component whos game-object has been destroyed at some point, and is trying to access that game object for some function.  From the stack trace it has likely cached a mesh or renderer component, and is attempting to access its game-object for some further processing, and failing at that point.  I would have to look into what the FAR source does in that method to know more. Thankfully, I can actually look at that source; but its a bit late in the evening for me to start digging into it right at the moment.

If you want to open up an issue ticket to make sure this does not get forgotten about, I'll look into it a bit more when I'm a bit more awake :)

16 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Indeed; Duna and back with half of my designs.  The stock Kerbal system really just does not lend itself to using scaled rockets very well; they certainly work, but mostly are all severe overkill.

And there you have the reasoning that lead, first, to Real Solar System, and from there to Realism Overhaul. :)

7 hours ago, Autochton said:

And there you have the reasoning that lead, first, to Real Solar System, and from there to Realism Overhaul. :)

Indeed.  And that is one of the main reasons that I'm doing all that I can to keep decent RO compatibility (at least at the plugin/part level.... configs are obviously a WIP).

1 hour ago, Jimbodiah said:

Download my rar file david. The j2x is already fixed in next dev.

1 hour ago, davidy12 said:

Where is it? Can you link it?

I actually fixed that in a release yesterday/last night:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases/tag/0.3.28-pre3

It includes fixes to all J-2X mount sizes, and cleans up the cluster definitions to only use appropriate mounts and appropriate sizes (upper stage engine; it does not get lower stage mounts).

If you want the lower-stage mounts for it, you'll need to patch them in yourself (quite easy to do; see the RO patches for examples).

Oh..and also this:

KjwQ05W.png

Edited by Shadowmage

MMmm... these boosters are starting to look tasty... the toxic/explosive HTBP type of tasty.

eLfxfGx.pngYfFvCr4.png

Still have not touched the unwrap or texture on the mounts; will likely move onto those this afternoon/tonight. 

Got the texture-swap stuff implemented last-night in the MSRB plugin, so really about all that is left is doing all the actual textures for all the rest of the parts :)

Edit:  The separation/jettison locations can be seen in the third booster from the left (the 2.5m segmented one).  They really are just a couple of black dots :)  (with some gradient, and accompanying normal-map of course).

Edited by Shadowmage

Just now, Shadowmage said:

MMmm... these boosters are starting to look tasty... the toxic/explosive HTBP type of tasty.

eLfxfGx.png

Still have not touched the unwrap or texture on the mounts; will likely move onto those this afternoon/tonight. 

Got the texture-swap stuff implemented last-night in the MSRB plugin, so really about all that is left is doing all the actual textures for all the rest of the parts :)

The textured nozzles then it'll look GREAT!!!!

Any other colors that I should do for the initial set?

I've got white (shown), black (shown), blue (WIP; based on Delta-II? blue paint).  Perhaps a black/white striped, e.g. Titan boosters?

Edit:  If all goes well this evening, I hope to do another updated release with the recent texture updates (J-2X, nosecones, bodies), as well as the SRB texture-swap support.  May or may not have nozzles textured.

Edited by Shadowmage

Updated testing release is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases/tag/0.3.28-pre4

Add textures for SRB nosecones, updated textures for SRB bodies, and texture-swapping for both (textures still WIP, but much improved).  Also updates J-2X texture with first detail pass (not done, but close(er)).

ANTKPVY.png

Edited by Shadowmage

Hello! I have SEVERAL ISSUES with your still awesome mod

1:There are too many manual actions on parts particularly on the Soyuz Capsule and Orion SM.

2:Soyuz SM has too low Delta V

3.No Soyuz Launcher [I'm sure it will be here in the future which is why this is at the bottom]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.