WW2 BAD-T - World War 2 BDArmory AI Dogfight Tournament [FINISHED]

• 3 weeks later...

The final battle will be between KF Spike-5 and Maelstorm, no jets on this first tournament run.

As I said before I am working om Aviator Arsenal and the final battle will come as soon as it updates.

When that happens I will also restart this tournament and give everybody plenty of time to learn to use the new weapons.

On that time I will do something else that will probably help.

Next version of BAD-T will allow MOAR GUNZ, so stay tuned.

No ETA yet.

Introducing the P-3 Biplane! A very very basic biplane.

ZShxbxT.jpg

Sadly it cant compete because it was built without FAR installed and needs the Aerosport at 100% so it can actually fly and not stall

Height: 4 meters

Width: 15.2 meters

Length:8.9 meters

Weight: 4 Tons

Part Count: 65 parts

Fuel capacity: 36 units

Max speed: 57.3 M/s

Armament: 1x M2 Browning pod from aviator arsenal

Engine: Aerosport A7 at 100% thrust

Takeoff speed: 30 M/s

It has a well armored open cockpit that can withstand a crash and have the kerbal live.

I pretty much just threw it up here to show you guys lol.

EDIT: Might switch out the M2 browning for 2 7.7mm machine guns because the slow firerate and only having 1 of them makes it hard for them to hit each other and even when they do it isnt enough hits to cause damage

- - - Updated - - -

The one used on Me 262 was a 50mm, but yeah, when I saw it I thought about the exact same thing.

no no no no no! The 50mm was used only on a few Me262's that were used to snipe B-17's from long ranges. Normally the 262 had 20mm and/or 30mm cannons!

READ IT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_262#Variants

Edited by Combatsmithen

I know. The Pulkzerstorer (50mm one) was never used against bombers AFAIK.

Me 262 A-1a/U4Bomber destroyer version, two prototypes with an adapted 50 mm (1.969 in) MK 214 (intended armament) or BK 5 (test ordnance only) anti-tank gun in the nose.

Don't question my WW2 Knowledge. BOW DOWN TO ME!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few ideas for the next BAD-T, let's discuss them.

First of all, I would rather having dates for battles, not like specific day and hour for a battle to be uploaded, but something like "one or two battles every weekend", but for this we would need them to be interesting in the first place.

Then, for the next tournament, I would really want to go full weapons-free-do-whatever-you-want-with-them mode, but that would only be possible limiting the engines a lot or using AJE.

Now with Vessel Mover I can quickly set battles pretty much anywhere, what about someone making some scenery on KerbinSide? (just go easy on the amount of stuff you place).

At the very least, this will allow for battles on winter, or ocean, or wherever else! But bear in mind some flight characteristics can change slightly when flying at cold places.

Another idea that I had was actually making this a war, I thought about this before but it was impossible without Vessel Mover.

It resumes to battles around the globe where winning at a certain place "conquers" it.

Since we would have more frequent battles (thanks again, Vessel Mover), we could go wild with the possibilities of something like this.

But the most important part is that first of all I really need everybody to be able to build an airplane that is at least decent.

That is why I am going to pick up my old FAR tutorial project and continue it, I will make a video about how to build basic subsonic airplanes as soon as the next version of BAD-T drops, on the time you will have to build your airplanes.

Of course I will give some extra time for those who will rely on my tutorials to do it.

And no I am not a native english speaker, I did not finish such tutorials before exactly because of my accent, but now I will do it anyway.

I may also make a few example craft for you to test against when building yours.

About the final battle of the ongoing tournament, oh boy that is going to be amazing.

Edited by tetryds

I like all of those ideas but the use of AJE. The main problem with AJE is that the Aerosport is really underpowered with it and it changes the diameters of other engines, so it's not possible to use them with stock fuel tanks. My design depends a lot on a twin engine configuration that uses Aerosports.

Not like I'm against realism. It's just that I need a 1.25m P-38's Allison-like engine for my design to work, which is something KAX lacks.

Edited by Veeltch

Yeah, and the new AI simply drain all of it's energy when it gets shot at and freaks out.

Maybe we will have to continue using 8000hp engines for that reason.

Once my system scan is done I'll build a P-38 replica with 2xAerosport and try making it fly like a real one. Then I'll post the results here, because I really want the tournament to be balanced.

Edited by Veeltch

OK, so here it is. Built a few minutes ago as a testbed for double Aerosport configuration (without AJE). A quick and dirty test:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The best results I could achieve (and the closest to the real one) were between 30.5 and 35% of thrust. The plane isn't to scale and it's mass is kerbalized too, because of the parts not being the same size as IRL. It has the guns and ammo of the real one, but the CoL is slightly off.

I can send you the craft file, if you want to experiment with it yourself.

EDIT: How about SXT? Maybe Lack's engines would work better than the ones from KAX?

EDIT2: Wow, I'm actually amazed I was able to replicate the shape of P-38 in less than an hour.

Edited by Veeltch

No deadline as Aviator Arsenal update will be huge and I want it as polished as it can get.

But you should start experimenting already ;)

Yes, after the 10th time ferram bugged me about these SXT props I checked them out and they feel a lot more balanced than the KAX ones.

The problem is that SXT is a HUGE pack, I will see if I can get a special distribution of it just for this challenge.

Keptin said that his KAX props performance will change on the future, I would love to use both mods.

If anything I can make MM configs or limit their thrust.

Yes, after the 10th time ferram bugged me about these SXT props I checked them out and they feel a lot more balanced than the KAX ones.

The problem is that SXT is a HUGE pack, I will see if I can get a special distribution of it just for this challenge.

Or you could tell us which folders should we get rid of. People might not like it, but it's not that hard. I do it every update.

Already begun on that, and found a few designs that seem decent. Regarding the Kerbinside stuff, I threw some stuff together last night:

http://imgur.com/a/Jjrsi

They're primarily Airfield or Industrial themed scenery statics; are these sort of what you had in mind?

Yes, they look good :)

If you don't mind, a runway would be great to have too.

Also, what is the location of such smooth site? you don't find such smooth terrain everywhere.

If you want to go wild with these, you can go from secret bases to docks, it's up to you, just keep them simple and light as these you show, they fit perfectly.

I have plans for some runways, so no worries. The flat-ish desert area in that pic was more a lucky find than anything else, its the small desert west of the KSC on the same continent, about 1.9 Lat/-87.7 Lon. For the most part, truly flat areas will likely have to be artificially created with some sort of large flat terrain static prop that scenery is built on top of.

• 1 month later...

Oh my god, the final was simply awesome.
I will upload it today.

The next tournament will include a custom pack with some modified SXT propeller engines together with KAX engines, now I will start setting up Aviator Arsenal for a release :D