WW2 BAD-T - World War 2 BDArmory AI Dogfight Tournament [FINISHED]

They don't fire yet, I will look into that tomorrow, why?

It will take a while to balance all of them, and that kind of stuff.

There are a few that were added after this pic was taken, and others in development, by the way.

could we have a small break between this tournament and the next so we can test the guns, bdarmory etc.

could we have a small break between this tournament and the next so we can test the guns, bdarmory etc.

Yes, sure.

I recommend doing that already, but I will only reopen submissions some time after the new one starts.

Also, the current bracket system makes the current "points" system unfair, so I will wipe it and everybody will get points depending on how well their crafts performed on the tournament.

@TUKE: I check it out every now and then :)

Just inquiring, tetryds, are you planning on going ahead with the heavy bomber category for the challenge?

I don't think there is a place for a bomber yet, but I am thinking about heavy fighters, yes.

But probably not for the next tournament, unless KSP updates really fast, I need multithreading to handle that much.

What do you guys think about the biplane and jet categories, would you rather that I removed them and added a heavy fighter one?

You may have noticed I am running many more battles now, the only problem is uploading the videos, is it okay if I rush the battles and tell the results before the video comes?

Or do you rather watch it and figure out who won by yourselves?

I am heavily considering not uploading videos for the losers bracket other than the final, I don't expect them to be interesting even if edited into a single video.

For me personally I'd be happy watching 720p/30FPS if it meant getting the results and vids together. How many megs/min are what you're uploading now?

Right now I get around 86MB/min @1080p 30fps, it does not take too long to upload, the problem is that I need to use my upload for other stuff too.

Two new battles incoming!

I'm fine with the results being announced before the video. It's really nice to watch them, but I feel like the losers bracket doesn't need that much documentation. The final loser battle would be fine IMO.

The Biplane and Jet categories don't seem to be very popular. I myself build only monoplanes. It would be nice to participate in the Jets category too, although I'm not going to cry if that doesn't happen.

Also, may I recommend once submissions are closed it is before the first match starts, and all submissions are given free to download, and a second host can run battles as well to speed up the process. Most importantly, not allowed to host battles with his own airplanes competing.

I'm fine with the results being announced before the video. It's really nice to watch them, but I feel like the losers bracket doesn't need that much documentation. The final loser battle would be fine IMO.

The Biplane and Jet categories don't seem to be very popular. I myself build only monoplanes. It would be nice to participate in the Jets category too, although I'm not going to cry if that doesn't happen.

Well how about this.

Hands up everyone who has a jet or biplane! Please state which!

I HAVE A BIPLANE, AND A JET!

I think It might make sense if the losers bracket, biplane, and early jet tournament were run by other ppl to speed things up.

Well if it will help i'll volunteer my pc. And it shouldn't take much time to do either because as far as i know there isn't a great number of entries.

- - - Updated - - -

Biplanes or jets that is.

Double post, double battle:

The battle between the Maelstorm and the Rotzooe 3.3 was great, the Maelstorm won mostly because of strategy, it forced the Rotzooe to drain all of its energy and it could not maneuver properly.

KAX dev here. Tetryds, thanks for putting in the legwork to host this awesome challenge! I've been too busy to participate, but enjoy watching from the sidelines. Looks like a blast!

I also wanted to give you peeps a heads up that once KSP 1.1 drops, KAX will be updated with balance tweaks. This may affect existing designs.

Where can i download that rocketpod. What are the guns on the plane as well. And BD armory isnt recognizing the special challenge pack weapons in the weapon manager so i cant use them and when i right click on them i dont even have the option to toggle them.

Where can i download that rocketpod. What are the guns on the plane as well. And BD armory isnt recognizing the special challenge pack weapons in the weapon manager so i cant use them and when i right click on them i dont even have the option to toggle them.

That pack was made for BDArmory 8.x, not the new ones, the challenge is closed now so it's running on my rig with the proper mods.

The rocket pod and the other weapons are a work in progress of the weapons pack I am making with VintageXP, it will be released when it's ready.

The battle between the Maelstorm and the Rotzooe 3.3 was great, the Maelstorm won mostly because of strategy, it forced the Rotzooe to drain all of its energy and it could not maneuver properly.

That's interesting you say that. The AI does not use any strategy. Having flown 10+ years of IL2 series (the best WW2 combat sim ever, no contest) it shows the "AI" just uses the same routines over and over but lacks intelligence.

Call me a sore loser, but I will not compete in a future tournament unless my idea has been implemented (previous post).

No hard feelings though, but it's like having a football match with an arbiter which is a member of one of the teams. It creates a funny feeling.

Edited by Azimech

That's interesting you say that. The AI does not use any strategy. Having flown 10+ years of IL2 series it shows the "AI" just uses the same routines over and over but lacks intelligence.

Call me a sore loser, but I will not compete in a future tournament unless my idea has been implemented.

No hard feelings though, but it's like having a football match with an arbiter which is a member of one of the teams. It creates a funny feeling.

The AI uses a set of routines over and over again, that is true, but I did not say my AI was smarter, I said that the strategy I used when setting up the parameters was crucial on the battle.

It's not an AI side strategy, but a design strategy, it's different.

You may notice that regardless of how dumb the AI of the BDArmory version being used, my airplane constantly boom-and-zooms, it was hard to have it to do that.

I want to know more about your idea, and I am convincing a lot of improvements that would also help making this challenge more interesting, esp. on FAR.

I am sending you my craft via PM right now.

At this point of the tournament, good crafts are going to lose, that is normal, you can always improve them for the next one.

The idea is to pick up a pace on this and be able to run a tournament very fast, this first one is just a test and my life was not stable enough for me to do that, until now.

Also, what is your idea? I am interested.

Edited by tetryds

I'll return to the subject soon but for now, it's 1 AM over here, time for bed.

~S~

(online chat in multiplayer, IL2 series: salute to all)

I have IL-2 Sturmovik Ultimate Edition as well as 1946 (But the disk got scratched), Forgotten Battles (Lost a disc) and the original. :)

Any ideas how to get it run with a 1920x1080 screen?

I have no clue how to make the AI BnZ, but I'm going to agree that setting the parameters is cruicial if you want it to win.

EDIT: Oooooooh, I think I know how to make it BnZ! Mwahahahaaha!

Offtopic: I think I know a mod that actually added AI that was smarter and panicky when surprised from behind. Was it called Historical Pack, or something? It adds better sounds, and makes the unflyable planes flyable, me thinks.

Edited by Veeltch