Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

Alphalsus, keep a spot in that roster for my entry: Air Bud III. Are you starting new thread for this tournament?

Also, is the ECM jammer going to have cost or can I spam those for free?

I will have to add a cost to jammers, I'm thinking the

ECM jammer will be 20 points. This starts on August 19th, so you have time.

- - - Updated - - -

It will be in this thread because this is the tournament hub.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/503237/BD%20Armoury%20challenge%201.craft

screenshot6_3.png

I'm in. What the heck. This is for fun, right?

All stock except for the BDA parts.

Weaponry: PAC-3 intercept missile (x2) (8 points)

AIM-120 (x2) (8 points)

AIM-9 Sidewinders (x4) (16 points)

S-8KOM rocket pods (x2) (8 points?)

GAV-8 30mm gatling gun (one), with 2 boxes extra ammo loaded just behind the cannon. (12 points)

Countermeasures: Flare and Chaff (one each) (10 points)

TOTAL POINTS: 62 (60 max, based on each item having the point value listed on page 1, multiplied by the amount of items shown)

Other: Radardome

AN-AAQ-28 Targeting pod (blended into nose)

Mass: 10.9 tonnes loaded

Hope it fares well.

ps. Take off at 65m/s, pitch up gently until 80 m ASL, then go have fun! Watch the throttle. She'll break 1200 m/s and it sneaks up on you!

screenshot8_3.png

Edited by GDJ

You have too many points. The weapon numbers will need to be reduced. By the way, all other missiles are 4 points until I find out how they must be balanced. For this tournament, the rules shown on page 27 at the bottom will be used.

Ah! the points changed a bit. I'll recalculate.

Okay, I can stand to lose a pair of sidewinders. That'll put me under the point limit.

I also signed up for the Challenge site. Do I upload the plane file or do you?

EDIT: New plane file. dumped a pair of sidewinders, total point count comes to 55.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/503240/BD%20Armoury%20Challenge%201%20V2_0.craft

Edited by GDJ

You upload the file, just submit yourself into the tournament by signing into the tournament under the name of the fighter.

PSA: An account for the challenge site is not needed, because I can submit an entry for you if I have images, a craft file, and description on this page.

I'm gonna wait and see if BD Armory gets an update before releasing my plane. My simulated matches with the latest version have all been stalemates ending in mid-air collisions due to the weapon systems being totally ineffective:

AIM-9 Sidewinder: defeated by a few flares dispensers.

AIM-120: out-maneuvered. None of the planes I tested with had chaff or ECM Jammers and yet the AIM-120's never got a hit.

Machine guns: pilot too drunk to aim. Best approach may be to spam .50-cal turrets and slightly rotate each gun to create a shotgun effect.

My best design so far has been to construct a battering ram of cubic struts on the front of the plane.

My best design so far has been to construct a battering ram of cubic struts on the front of the plane.

Genius.

I suggested fractions of ammo cans (assuming 4 points is for a full can, you can cut a quarter of the capacity per point). It's too late for this one, but is it worth considering?

where is the download link?

- - - Updated - - -

We need some more entries people! Too many byes! 3 of them!

I need to refit a few designs and ping them your way. Could even submit 2 if you need extras - you can always pit them against each other in the first round :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.