Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

Just a quick question to Pixel, could you check sometime soon if my nosecone fuel flow is disabled? It is here for ballast and prevents spinning out of control. In the video from the first fight I've noticed that few times my plane apparently entered a flatspin for a few seconds which was happening after draining too much fuel from the nosecone. Also, my cocpkit torque might be on. It makes no difference at all (proved by testing) but just for the sake of it it should be off. Thanks and sorry for troubling you. C:

Missiles are next to useless in the fights. I'm considering making them 2 points.

I disagree, actually. As demonstrated by the XMF (sorry for always using it as an example, but I see it as the most likely champion) a volley of missiles can be incredibly deadly and end the fight really quickly. It takes a lot to dodge that many at once, so it makes it a pretty solid tactic. IMO of course.

Missiles are next to useless in the fights. I'm considering making them 2 points.

In testing various airframe and weapon configurations, the vast majority of scored kills I got were from missiles. This included gimmick designs that tried to cram on as much dakka as possible - missile armed designs blew them out of the sky before they could close to gun range, although those that did manage to survive eviscerated the enemy plane with cannon fire.

I disagree, actually. As demonstrated by the XMF (sorry for always using it as an example, but I see it as the most likely champion) a volley of missiles can be incredibly deadly and end the fight really quickly. It takes a lot to dodge that many at once, so it makes it a pretty solid tactic. IMO of course.
In testing various airframe and weapon configurations, the vast majority of scored kills I got were from missiles. This included gimmick designs that tried to cram on as much dakka as possible - missile armed designs blew them out of the sky before they could close to gun range, although those that did manage to survive eviscerated the enemy plane with cannon fire.

It depends on how many countermeasure pods the opponent has. I've found that 4 pods defeats a volley of missiles most of the time.

I don't know though, maybe I'm wrong.

same here - 4 cm pods will negate the majority of missiles. If anything, putting a limit on CM pods or increasing their price might be the way to go. At present, 4 pods are only 20 points out of 60 available. If we had to actually make sacrifices in armament to have decent missile protection from CM pods, I think it would result in some interesting design philosophies emerging.

same here - 4 cm pods will negate the majority of missiles. If anything, putting a limit on CM pods or increasing their price might be the way to go. At present, 4 pods are only 20 points out of 60 available. If we had to actually make sacrifices in armament to have decent missile protection from CM pods, I think it would result in some interesting design philosophies emerging.

I was considering lowering missiles by maybe a point and raising coutermesures by a point or two when I made the thread, but decided to leave it open to input.

Personally, I would like to see less missile combat and more machinegun dog fighting.

By the way, good luck Suicidal Insanity! May your missiles fly true and your explosions be glorious.

I would like that too, however I want to allow people to design aircraft to their own advantages. Maybe I'll do a guns only tourney in the future.

Alas, I am too late, it seems, as the tournament has already begun...In any event, I rebuilt the Double Down completely, removing all instances of clipping (save for the front intake) and further optimized it, yielding the ASF-4 IIB:

KnEzVFy.png

This is probably irrelevant now, but whatever:

Revised Statistics:

79 parts

12.5 tons

Point Calculation:

1 x GAU-8 "Avenger" Cannon: 1 x 11 = 11 points

1 x 30mm Ammunition Storage: 1 x 4 = 4 points

6 x "Sidewinder" missiles: 6 x 4 = 24 points

4 x Countermeasure Pods: 4 x 5 = 20 points

Total: 59 points

In my testing, it so far has a 100% winrate versus all designs it has faced, including the XMF-1B; hopefully I can enter it in the next tournament.

Craft File

Alas, I am too late, it seems, as the tournament has already begun...In any event, I rebuilt the Double Down completely, removing all instances of clipping (save for the front intake) and further optimized it, yielding the ASF-4 IIB:

http://i.imgur.com/KnEzVFy.png

Revised Statistics:

79 parts

12.5 tons

Point Calculation:

In my testing, it so far has a 100% winrate versus all designs it has faced, including the XMF-1B; hopefully I can enter it in the next tournament.

Craft File

Basically put wings everywhere?

Hm.

The rules might need a bit of a rethink.

(Not hating on you or your design, I just don't really like the concept of spamming wings everywhere. It's not exactly an art.)

http://i.imgur.com/KnEzVFy.png

Revised Statistics:

79 parts

12.5 tons

Point Calculation:

Craft File

That's a helluva plane. Went 4-1 against the Hobgoblin. You've definitely raised the bar. :)

I'm going to have to start fresh with a brand new air-frame to try and beat it.

That's a helluva plane. Went 4-1 against the Hobgoblin. You've definitely raised the bar. :)

I'm going to have to start fresh with a brand new air-frame to try and beat it.

Unfortunately I feel like the only way to beat it is to spam wings everywhere.

I'm trying to keep these designs slightly realistic, and I admit, the wing spam works great, but I despise it. It's just a bit ridiculous. But if people don't want rules against wing spamming, or having a wing limit, then I guess we can all just spam wings on our designs.

Unfortunately I feel like the only way to beat it is to spam wings everywhere.

I'm trying to keep these designs slightly realistic, and I admit, the wing spam works great, but I despise it. It's just a bit ridiculous. But if people don't want rules against wing spamming, or having a wing limit, then I guess we can all just spam wings on our designs.

I prefer the realistic approach, but to each their own. I wouldn't oppose a rule about it, personally.

I'll add that for next tournament. Do you think it should be a wing limit, or just a general, no wing spamming rule?

In my opinion, just no wing spamming. It's a hard thing to describe, but most people should get it. There's a pretty big gray area, so to speak.

Slightly off-topic, but I just watched my first mid-air collision in one of my battles :P

Edited by Slam_Jones

I've been asking the WW2 people about FAR. It requires more work than stock, but it would put an end to wing spam, which I can't see a way of legislating for.

Work with stock until we cap it out, then consider FAR as the next logical step.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.