The Dunatian, Playable Save File (Like a Scenario)

That is a great tool, pity it's windows only I am sure I have seen it mentioned elsewhere. We probably want a shorter faster flyby if possible. It might require some playing with figures. In my head I am playing at a starting altitude of 100km, it probably makes no difference but that is what I have optimised the craft for.

Downloaded low part count save to my 2011 macbook pro and it runs smooth, did an RTG retrieval no problem with Mark Kermney onboard. Problem solved it seems even for slow computers.

However the rover is not quite as good to drive, there were patches were it just slid, the old rover did not do this. On the bright side I rolled it twice and only lost one solar panel. I activated the engines on the rear wheels of the trailing rover to make it a bit more responsive.

That is a great tool, pity it's windows only

I seem to recall from some of your Reddit posts that you're mainly using Linux? If so, the Flyby tool runs perfectly on Wine 1.6.2. I've just tested it on my Mint 17 install.. (yes, I prefer Linux too, and only run KSP on Win7 because no matter what I do, I cannot get KSP to run properly on Linux. And yes, I've been and carefully checked that I've done everything I'm supposed to to get it to work.)

We probably want a shorter faster flyby if possible. It might require some playing with figures. In my head I am playing at a starting altitude of 100km, it probably makes no difference but that is what I have optimised the craft for.

Well, free-return trajectories to Duna don't come around as often as ordinary launch windows.. you kind of have to take what you can get. The starting altitude at Kerbin makes only a tiny difference to the numbers.. Starting at 100km instead of 75km adds just 22m/s of delta-V difference, all told.

Now, if you want a lower Pe at Duna, orbital mechanics being what they are, to some extent you get whatever you get, but there is a second possible course, also starting on day 520, requiring a slightly different equatorial z velocity. It gets there 40 days later than the first route, but passes Duna at just 57km up. The other downside is that the Hermes will be moving about 300m/s faster at encounter, and the return trip Duna-Kerbin takes an extra 31 days.

My next plan is to take both of those trajectories and plug them in to KSP TOT to fine-tune and tighten up the numbers, so that we have something that can be plugged into MechJeb or PreciseNode.

- - - Updated - - -

Good?

Looks good.. what's its' delta V? By the looks of things, it's going to need 4500-5000 m/s to rendezvous with the Hermes flyby.

Edited by JAFO

Not bad at all.. How's it handle on Duna?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok.. I have a detailed flyby solution from KSP TOT.

But since it's 4am here, I think I'll test it out tomorrow.

For anyone else masochistic enough to give it a shot, here's all the data:

Flyby 0.82 Data:

Start Planet: Kerbin

Orbit Departure Time:

11210400 seconds UT

520 days UT

Y2 D94 H0

Start Orbit Inclination: -0.1 degrees

Start Boost: 1309 m/s

Start Equatorial Z velocity: -10 m/s

Start Equat. Prograde velocity: 1309 m/s

V Infinity Leaving Start Planet: 1624 m/s

1st Encounter Planet: Duna

Time from Start to 1st Encounter: 720 days 0 hours

Vinf in: 3075 m/s

Brake to Orbit?: 2439 m/s

1st Encounter Periapsis:

1240 days UT

Y3 D388 H0

1297 km altitude

Vinf out: 3077 m/s

2nd Encounter Planet: Kerbin

Time from 1st to 2nd Encounter: 163 days 0 hours

Vinf in: 1991 m/s

Brake to Orbit?: 1500 m/s

2nd Encounter Periapsis:

1403 days UT

Y4 D125 H0

Total delta V expended: 2810 m/s

Total Travel Time: 882.8 days

KSP TOT Data:

Hyperbolic Departure & Flyby Orbits:

Hyperbolic Departure Orbit from Kerbin

---------------------------------------------

Semi-major Axis = -1215.224 km

Eccentricity = 1.576

Inclination = 0.097 deg

Right Ascension of AN = 14.920 deg

Argument of Periapse = 180.000 deg

Inbound Hyperbolic Flyby Orbit to Duna

Semi-major Axis = -32.747 km

Eccentricity = 203.1535

Inclination = 179.362 deg

Right Ascension of AN = 167.756 deg

Argument of Periapse = 104.198 deg

Periapse Radius = 6619.844 km

Outbound Hyperbolic Flyby Orbit from Duna

Semi-major Axis = -32.747 km

Eccentricity = 203.1535

Inclination = 179.362 deg

Right Ascension of AN = 167.756 deg

Argument of Periapse = 104.198 deg

Periapse Radius = 6619.844 km

Inbound Hyperbolic Orbit to Kerbin

Hyperbolic Excess Vel. = 1.605 km/s

Sun-Centric Transfer Orbits:

Phase 1 Transfer Orbit (Kerbin -> Duna)

Semi-major Axis = 49238811.084 km

Eccentricity = 0.74187

Inclination = 0.012 deg

Right Ascension of AN = 78.408 deg

Argument of Periapse = 147.821 deg

Period = 63403867.2818 sec

Departure True Anomaly = 32.179 deg

Arrival True Anomaly = 279.676 deg

Phase 2 Transfer Orbit (Duna -> Kerbin)

Semi-major Axis = 18739227.034 km

Eccentricity = 0.73324

Inclination = 0.011 deg

Right Ascension of AN = 66.463 deg

Argument of Periapse = 299.666 deg

Period = 14886133.8838 sec

Departure True Anomaly = 139.776 deg

Arrival True Anomaly = 240.334 deg

Kerbin Departure Date =

Year 2, Day 94 00:00:00.000

(11210400.000 sec UT)

Duna Arrival Date =

Year 3, Day 372 03:23:50.725

(26429030.725 sec UT)

Kerbin Arrival Date =

Year 4, Day 80 00:15:07.744

(29312107.744 sec UT)

DV Maneuver Information:

Burn Information to Depart Kerbin

Total Delta-V = 1.359 km/s

Prograde Delta-V = 1358.910 m/s

Orbit Normal Delta-V = -6.072 m/s

Radial Delta-V = 0.000 m/s

---------------------

Burn True Anomaly = 194.920 deg

Burn Information to Depart Duna

Total Delta-V = 0.000 km/s

Prograde Delta-V = -0.000 m/s

Orbit Normal Delta-V = 0.000 m/s

Radial Delta-V = -0.000 m/s

---------------------

Burn True Anomaly = 0.000 deg

Edited by JAFO

It handles pretty good. What do you think of the Hermes and rover?

They look good, I don't think I can go near that part count for the Hermes, JAFO's computer would spew its guts up on the desk. I have had to be pretty part count restrictive around the base, we found all the high part count craft summoned the kraken quite reliably.

Also the Rovers are supposed to fit in the MK3 cargo modules.

Edited by selfish_meme

They look good, I don't think I can go near that part count for the Hermes, JAFO's computer would spew its guts up on the desk. I have had to be pretty part count restrictive around the base, we found all the high part count craft summoned the kraken quite reliably.

Also the Rovers are supposed to fit in the MK3 cargo modules.

Won't you have them already there?

Yes, but I had the bright idea (sarcasm) to be able to do the whole thing yourself, because I know KSP'ers like to do stuff the hard way. So you can launch and land everything from Pathfinder to the MAV, (I made an exception for the Hab).

okay, I see. Well, I like my rover and Hermes quite a bit, would you mind if I released them in a little martian pack of just crafts, no save files or anything?

And I can send you the MAV soon, if you want.

You can release whatever you like, it does not matter if you want to release stuff you let me use in the pack, its yours, I think you should release them. I would love to have a look at your MAV and possibly put it in the pack, you should probably release that too.

I stole some of CommanderSpocks ideas to test out an idea I had. The MAV is perfectly useable too, 43 parts, 4300m/s dV. What do you guys think?

AJwR32w.png

It's very tippy and could probably do with some refinement, it does save us having to shoehorn all that crap onto the MAV. I had an additional inspiration from the movie that Commander Spock could use on his design. The MAV is also open on the top, so if you use hullcam you could watch the launch from inside!

K45QT0S.png

Edited by selfish_meme

I stole some of CommanderSpocks ideas to test out an idea I had. The MAV is perfectly useable too, 43 parts, 4300m/s dV. What do you guys think?

I like.. it does make me wonder, though. How does it get landed? Sure, the DAV is not too hard to land, but how does the ISRU module get to the surface?

It's very tippy

While those triple legs look very cool, it would probably be a lot more stable if they were all perpendicular, instead of some being angled.

Re the Hermes, I'll do some testing to see what sort of part-count-ship my machine can cope with. From memory, around 200-250 parts is probably manageable..

I like.. it does make me wonder, though. How does it get landed? Sure, the DAV is not too hard to land, but how does the ISRU module get to the surface?

While those triple legs look very cool, it would probably be a lot more stable if they were all perpendicular, instead of some being angled.

Re the Hermes, I'll do some testing to see what sort of part-count-ship my machine can cope with. From memory, around 200-250 parts is probably manageable..

The MAV is pretty stable actually its the refueler which is tippy understandably. Needs to be laid out in a row I think.

I got serious, I worked out how to do a compact refueller stage on the DAV, it's definitely land-able (code have not managed yet) but it's close, I stuffed up the last landing trying to figure out whether to wait for chutes or hit the SRB retro thrusters. It is still bottom board-able too, in fact that's why it works. ISRU's are dogs to mount but this way works. I am going to put a docking port on the top adapter, though the film MAV did not seem to have any docking capability.

hnX1R6m.png

- - - Updated - - -

Downloads are up on curse for the new DAV and DDV

Thats really good, the refueller is much more compact than mine, good job.

I didn"t see a way to get in from the ground.

Currently there is no landing capability, I quickly got it down to about 20ms with 6 drogue and 6 main chutes a couple more should do it.

It is very hard to keep retrograde in atmosphere because the rcs is not strong enough alone.

It"s already 170 parts before trying to land it. It's great for a replica but not so good gameplay wise.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.