The Dunatian, Playable Save File (Like a Scenario)

Urn maybe not now, it wobbles to death on load for some reason..

This is getting quite exciting now! I have another craft pack completed and all I need to do is launch it and take pics but I'm too lazy so If there is anything you need doing I'm free for a day or two.

Also, there used to be a mod that would make the environmental conditions on Kerbin as they are on any of the other worlds in the system. It was a massive time saver! You can test craft at the KSC as if you are on Duna.

I'm not sure it's still knocking around somewhere or not though.

So, give me a job to do Sir.

I recall that mod too, used it for fun (Gilly gravity) then forgot about it. The wobble is related to the welded parts. Crap.

I've found in the past that craft wobble can be cured with a single well placed strut. Try to see the furthest point from the epicenter of the wobble and strut there.

This is getting quite exciting now! I have another craft pack completed and all I need to do is launch it and take pics but I'm too lazy so If there is anything you need doing I'm free for a day or two.

Also, there used to be a mod that would make the environmental conditions on Kerbin as they are on any of the other worlds in the system. It was a massive time saver! You can test craft at the KSC as if you are on Duna.

I'm not sure it's still knocking around somewhere or not though.

So, give me a job to do Sir.

Did you ever finish your pathfinder I remember you seemed keen on that.

I never started it.. Do any of the lifters or landers need testing? Or the ascent vehicle?

The Descent Vehicle and the Ascent Vehicle both need work, but I have updated them a bit already, I will get you a link for the craft files

- - - Updated - - -

Well, my reasons for trying to cut down on the litter was more to do with your remark about what a mess the site would look like, than performance issues.

Performance at the moment is fine. Which is to say my usual 1:3 time ratio for when I'm on the ground.

So far my only problem is whenever I'm in the process of trying to pick up the RTG, my game keeps going black, except for the GUI, then crashes. The last couple of seconds of the log are loaded with hundreds of entries like this:

and this:

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the damping settings on the rover wheels.. at the time I was attempting to manoeuvre into alignment with the RTG docking port.

From some googling around, it turns out both the above errors are relatively common in KSP at the moment. From what I can see, it can happen even in a stock install. It doesn't appear to have been tracked down, so far. The best guess I've seen on the cause so far seems to be this:

The only mods installed are StockBugFixModules, KerbPaint and ModuleManager. Think I'll see what happens with all mods removed.

I just got that exact same problem, but it was after I picked up the RTG and was heading back to base. 2 RTG's and 2 Batteries seems about the right mix of power, it's going down at full throttle but not so much you won't get a good drive out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I never started it.. Do any of the lifters or landers need testing? Or the ascent vehicle?

Here is the descent vehicle, needs to fit 6, be small and tin can-ish, needs chutes and thrusters for descent, must have enough TWR to do a small hop when almost empty (not get back to orbit).

Here is the new Ascent Vehicle, needs to seat 6, be able to land and then refill it's tanks (not in a hurry, it's only supposed to have one RTG), leaves refuelling stuff behind on Ascent, docks with Hermes.

Go to it! Can't wait to see them.

- - - Updated - - -

Well with the Linux Graphics driver update and the black screen issue, I feel I did not get the most out of the night, Mark and the Rovers have disappeared. Might have to do some save file editing.

- - - Updated - - -

Some screenshots from the RTG jaunt

j5AePSZ.png

AoFYGXk.png

Who built that it's all wonky ;)

xxVMVJB.png

H4RsgBo.png

Ok, so it terms of Style for the ascent and descent vehicle, do you want a lower part count forgoing small details? Do you want the crew in pods or seats?

Also, can I have the craft file for the rover? I think I van clean up that rearmost rovers rear end.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the nan error is most likely caused by you having attached the docking port to the cubic struts node. Try to surface attach it if possible.

Descent vehicle done. It can carry up to eight Kerbals. Is 59 parts ok?

59 parts is OK, as long as it fits in with the way the book describes it, a tin can that fell over on landing that needed parachutes and thrusters to land.

I have uploaded a new ascent vehicle without the mod part sorry

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to help.

What do you guys need built?

Hey man, we have every craft built now, but some are just placeholders that work but need to be rebuilt to work better or look better. Your best bet is to look through the stuff we have and see if you can improve something, then put a link to the craft up here and I will add your name to the contributors.

59 parts is OK, as long as it fits in with the way the book describes it, a tin can that fell over on landing that needed parachutes and thrusters to land.

I have uploaded a new ascent vehicle without the mod part sorry

No worries mate.

Yup that could describe what I built. I also made some improvements to both rovers. I rebuilt the rear space on the Watney rover, it's nice and clean now. It's a slightly different shape but nicer looking.

I also made some changes to the suspension that I believe is an improvement. Also I reduced the part count by 40 on the Watney rover and 20 for the other rover.

I will post a pic soon and upload them here for you to look at.

OK here are some pics of the Watney rover:

sbkpl4.png

I will have a go at the ascent vehicle tomorrow. And post the craft files too. Nighty night.

Edited by Majorjim

No worries mate.

Yup that could describe what I built. I also made some improvements to both rovers. I rebuilt the rear space on the Watney rover, it's nice and clean now. It's a slightly different shape but nicer looking.

I also made some changes to the suspension that I believe is an improvement. Also I reduced the part count by 40 on the Watney rover and 20 for the other rover.

I will post a pic soon and upload them here for you to look at.

OK here are some pics of the Watney rover:

http://i62.tinypic.com/sbkpl4.png

I will have a go at the ascent vehicle tomorrow. And post the craft files too. Nighty night.

That looks really good, and it's LESS parts than the old one, wow. The Whatney rover is supposed to be a normal rover that he cut half the roof off and made a pressurised tent in it to hold the RTG and his life support stuff. Thats why mine was a bit cludgy to represent the half assedness of it. Yours looks much better though, can we make the back panels look a bit rounder? From what NASA says even having a flat floor in a pressurised habitat on Mars would be difficult.

That looks really good, and it's LESS parts than the old one, wow. The Whatney rover is supposed to be a normal rover that he cut half the roof off and made a pressurised tent in it to hold the RTG and his life support stuff. Thats why mine was a bit cludgy to represent the half assedness of it. Yours looks much better though, can we make the back panels look a bit rounder? From what NASA says even having a flat floor in a pressurised habitat on Mars would be difficult.

Cheers mate. Oh ok, I didn't know it was a tent. Hmm, I will see what I can do to round it off a little.

It says it works for 1.0 and 1.02 so it should work for 1.04
Yep.. just what we need!

However.. sorry.. I deleted the post, due to vBulletin acting totally stupid with the links. Will try again.

I think this is the one you had in mind. Works on gravity and atmosphere, but hasn't been updated since 0.23.5

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/78857-0-23-5-Planitron-Reloaded

However, I did find this.

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/231414-rover-anti-gravity-system

It's a module that you add to a rover, after which you can set gravity to match any planet you like. Doesn't affect atmosphere though, so not suitable for other craft.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the nan error is most likely caused by you having attached the docking port to the cubic struts node. Try to surface attach it if possible.

@ selfish_meme, did you try this yet, to see if it fixes the black screen/crash issue?

Edited by JAFO

OK Troops, I have replaced the RTG and Tested it twice, once on Kerbin and once on Duna, no Kraken appeared. I have uploaded the craft to curse, it should be available soon. I also put the RTG and Rovers back on Duna (RTG is picked up) edited the save file to bring Mark Kermney back from the Kraken Zone. But he is back on Kerbin and Merbly is on Duna. Will fix it later when we have done some more testing. So we should be good to continue testing. The RTG and the Save file should be available soon on curse.

- - - Updated - - -

FfazRKw.png

Mark did not come back for some reason, will look into it later.

Mark did not come back for some reason, will look into it later.

That happened to me with the first crash I had.. the Kraken ate Mark and the rovers. So I deleted the entire game save and restored it from your zip.

Also with the suspension are you testing on Kerbin or Duna, if it's really good on Kerbin it's probably to stiff for Duna

Tested on Duna, it works as well as yours did but it's 14 parts less per axle. I adjusted it today and its exactly 40 parts fewer parts for the manned rover and 45 fewer for the Watney rover.

You got rid of the engines huh, what are you using for the spring, not cubic stats I hope lol.

So when are we gonna see some images and craft files, I can't wait.

The engines are still there. One per wheel, no strut. It flexes about the same as yours did, I added an extra jet in there too. One fore one aft. It's suuuper stable and rides the bumps very well. I got stuck making the watney one, I will post them tomorrow.

The engines are still there. One per wheel, no strut. It flexes about the same as yours did, I added an extra jet in there too. One fore one aft. It's suuuper stable and rides the bumps very well. I got stuck making the watney one, I will post them tomorrow.

Got to remember to remove the batteries from the whatney rover

- - - Updated - - -

What about using a fairing for the tent? It is 40 parts fewer again. Only 63.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2gv51lk.png

Sure, there is a mod to help make them rounder if you want

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.