[WIP][1.3.1] North Kerbin Dynamics - Nuclear Bombs and Heavy Ordnance Pack (and other things) v0.84b

harpwner

10 minutes ago, andreasblom said:

Thanks a lot

Is there a way to change the number of bomblets? (Thinking like four)

Changing the number of bomblets would require editing the model in a program like blender, rather than just altering the cfg. I'll have a look into it, but I have no experience with computer modelling so I don't know if I will actually be able to do this.

Fair point, could you make us one? :D Also, if you could find a way of making it point downwards when it deploys, such as being a missile with a high angle arc or a snake eye bomb style slowing mechanism, so the bomblets spread outwards, that would be cool as currently a lot of them go almost straight down, causing a dense cluster and increasing the bomblet velocity spreads it out a bit but also makes some of them go miles away.

18 minutes ago, Collider1 said:

Fair point, could you make us one? :D Also, if you could find a way of making it point downwards when it deploys, such as being a missile with a high angle arc or a snake eye bomb style slowing mechanism, so the bomblets spread outwards, that would be cool as currently a lot of them go almost straight down, causing a dense cluster and increasing the bomblet velocity spreads it out a bit but also makes some of them go miles away.

I may be able to do that using AGM ballistic guidance, we'll have to see

meanwhile, I'm technically out on vacation, so I'll make a note to get this done later

1 hour ago, Collider1 said:

Awesome, thanks. Come to think of it, your SCUD missiles could launch on pretty steep trajectories, so maybe using their guidance would work.

SCUD uses AGMBallistic :D

Ah, of course. :D

Just begun testing with the SCUD's configuration. I think it needs a little tweaking as the cluster nuke is now travelling across the galaxy, hunting for alien civilisations to destroy.

6V2SgGG.png

Edit: I reduced the power a bit, but for some reason it's making no attempt to point towards its target.

Edited by Collider1

On 5/29/2016 at 0:09 AM, Collider1 said:

Ah, of course. :D

Just begun testing with the SCUD's configuration. I think it needs a little tweaking as the cluster nuke is now travelling across the galaxy, hunting for alien civilisations to destroy.

6V2SgGG.png

Edit: I reduced the power a bit, but for some reason it's making no attempt to point towards its target.

I've started modelling a cluster nuke of my own. Going to take a bit to get what I want from it but I think I'll have it with 8 nukes with a small yield

GPS guided of course :D

Edited by harpwner

7 hours ago, harpwner said:

I've started modelling a cluster nuke of my own. Going to take a bit to get what I want from it but I think I'll have it with 8 nukes with a small yield

I'd love to use it when they start making more bda contract packs

I miss those

15 hours ago, harpwner said:

Sounds great. I look forward to trying it out when it's done.

Can someone explain me how i use the MIRV correctly ?.
If i have 3 warheads how do i configure them to hit multiple GPS targets ?
do i need a weaponmanager and some propulsion on each warhead ?

Im kinda lost

8 minutes ago, Arget said:

Can someone explain me how i use the MIRV correctly ?.
If i have 3 warheads how do i configure them to hit multiple GPS targets ?
do i need a weaponmanager and some propulsion on each warhead ?

Im kinda lost

Of first.
In real life an MIRV stands for Mulitple Independent Re-entry Vehicle.  The are used in ICBM (Inter continental ballistic missiles) for striking multiple targets such as cities at once. 

In KSP its kinda limited due to things like physics range but you can still have some affects to it

What you do is set the GPS coordinates like you would with any of the other GPS guided weapons.
Then you have to make a rocket that can launch the MIRV with a single weapon manger attached to it.
When you get "near" your target, select the GPS target you want and fire away.

now say you have 3 MIRVs on a single rocket and want to hit 3 targets.  

Just set the GPS coordinates for each target and when you get "close enough, set your first MIRV to target "A" and fire.  Then select target "B" and fire the second MIRV and so on.

Congrats you just nuked 3 targets

Edited by War Eagle 1

1 minute ago, War Eagle 1 said:

Of first.
In real life an MIRV stands for Mulitple Independent Re-entry Vehicle.  The are used in ICBM (Inter continental ballistic missiles) for striking multiple targets such as cities at once. 

In KSP its kinda limited due to things like physics range but you can still have some affects to it

What you do is set the GPS coordinates like you would with any of the other GPS guided weapons.
Then you have to make a rocket that can launch the MIRV with a single weapon manger attached to it.
When you get "near" your target, select the GPS target you want and fire away.

now say you have 3 MIRVs on a single rocket and want to hit 3 targets.  

Just set the GPS coordinates for each target and when you get "close enough, set your first MIRV to target "A" and fire.  Then select target "B" and fire the second MIRV and so on.

Congrats you just nuked 3 targets

Ok thanks for that, i will try.

3 hours ago, War Eagle 1 said:

@harpwner
I asked you this before but have you given any more consideration to adding GPS tracking to the Kinetic rods?

I can swoop in and do that now, since I am actively working on the mod

Right now I just finished:

-GBU-39

-GBU-44

and for all that may know Quabbo from QArmory, he is now helping me with my mod! I put him in charge of making some FABs :D

For the Tsar Bomba, I put it in a cargo bay in my large bomber. I then jettison it. After, jettisoning, I cannot activate the detonate action group. I then try fire missle, when it runs into the ground the screen just goes black. In f3 it says that it splashed down too hard or hit the ground too hard. Using trigger on the weapon manager did not work either. If anyone could help, that'd be amazing! 

5 hours ago, Rainbowd4sh said:

For the Tsar Bomba, I put it in a cargo bay in my large bomber. I then jettison it. After, jettisoning, I cannot activate the detonate action group. I then try fire missle, when it runs into the ground the screen just goes black. In f3 it says that it splashed down too hard or hit the ground too hard. Using trigger on the weapon manager did not work either. If anyone could help, that'd be amazing! 

Jettisoning does not activate the bomb. It's for getting rid of your munitions without them exploding (in a big way at least). Use "Fire missile" in the cargo bay to actually use the bomb.

Also, when using the weapon manager, you can assign "Fire missile" on the weapon manager to an action group, which will then fire whatever missile you have selected when you use it, so you can fire all of your weapons with only one action group.

Edited by Collider1

Any idea whether BD is updating BDA to 1.1.2 yet?  His topic has been "closed to further replies".

Also, could you add a nuclear Tomahawk cruise missile?  That would fit my needs perfectly...

Maybe when I'm older, and if someone doesn't beat me to the punch, I'll make a weapons pack implementing the BLU- and GBU- Bunker Busting bombs.  INCOMING!!  (Patent Pending.)

11 hours ago, SpecOps115 said:

Any idea whether BD is updating BDA to 1.1.2 yet?  His topic has been "closed to further replies".

Also, could you add a nuclear Tomahawk cruise missile?  That would fit my needs perfectly...

Maybe when I'm older, and if someone doesn't beat me to the punch, I'll make a weapons pack implementing the BLU- and GBU- Bunker Busting bombs.  INCOMING!!  (Patent Pending.)

It's actually very easy to modify the Tomahawk to make it nuclear. Just add the following to the .cfg:

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleNuclearExplosive
	blastRadius = 7470
	blastPower = 1650
	baseRadius = 100
	explGroundPath =  North Kerbin Weaponry/effects/Explosion_Megaton
	explAirPath =  North Kerbin Weaponry/effects/Explosion_340_Air
	explSpacePath =  North Kerbin Weaponry/effects/Explosion_340_Space
    explSoundPath =  North Kerbin Weaponry/sounds/explosion_MOAB
}

Put it at the end, but before the final }.

This gives it a 1.2 megaton explosion. If you want a larger or smaller one, you can look through the .cfgs of other nuclear weapons to find the one you like.

In fact, if you're thinking about making mods in the future, I'd recommend trying some tinkering like this to get started. There's a lot of fun to be had making ridiculous parts. :D

This method will modify the current missile. If you want a separate one that is nuclear whilst retaining the conventional variant, you'll need to duplicate the file and edit the copy, but I got some weird bugs when I tried this before. I have an idea of what I might have done wrong though, so I'll look into it.

Edit: Duplicating seems to work now. If you give rename the folder, the .cfg, the name under general parameters and the title under editor parameters, it seems to work. (Not sure if you need to do all of those things, but if you do it should work)

Edit 2: If there is a shortened name you need to edit that too.

Edited by Collider1

19 hours ago, SpecOps115 said:

No offense but people asking when it will be updated was the very reason they closed it. It was mentioned about a million times that it will be updated when its updated

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.