Is this true?

JackBush

I just read this in a Google search, dated May 2014: "Beware that the 64 bit Windows version of KSP is said to have quite a lot of bugs that aren't there with the 32bit version. Also, beware that many mods will not run with the 64bit Windows version, as modders don't see any reason to code around bugs in 64bit KSP."

Is any of that true?

It is so true that there is no longer an official Win64 version of KSP. There is some hope that the coming switch to Unity5 as the game engine will allow for a good Win64 version but there has been no official word on its availability yet.

Ah, so the game only comes as 32 bit?

The only platform on which you currently get a (reasonably) stable 64bit version of KSP is Linux, and also there a nasty pointer truncation bug causes crashes if one doesn't use a hex editor to work around it (details: The Linux Thread)...

But you should be aware that to a vast extent those issues are not caused by bugs in KSP itself, but by bugs in the Unity engine. The situation is even worse on 64bit Windows builds, as for those there was no way to actually debug them with older Unity versions. The KSP developers try to work around the worst Unity bugs, but of course the usual way of action if one encounters a bug in third party software is to ask for it to be fixed upstream (in this case: by the Unity developers)...

Nevertheless, KSP 32bit is running just fine. The only situation where one might need the 64bit build is when using tons of mods, for instance the Realism Overhaul mod collection. With a "normal" amount of mods, memory usage should stay well below 4 GB.

32-bit only for Windows and OSX, there is a native 64-bit version for Linux (which I have heard works quite well). If you don't mind the bugs you could try the Win64 community workaround, but there are some mods that are disabled for it (and you shouldn't be reporting bugs in mod threads if running Win64, retest on Win32 first).

Unless you are running a lot of memory intensive mods 32-bit is the way to go on Windows.

Be aware that there is no advantage in 64-bit over 32-bit unless all of the following...

1. You are installing mods.

2. You are installing a lot of mods.

3. You have more than 4GB of RAM.

The stock game easily fits within the 4GB limit and would not be improved by 64-bit.

Edited by Alshain

Thanks everyone. I don't intend to install mods. I will simply take whatever Steam gives me.

It's the 32-bit build. Even when the Wx64 was made available (as a test), you still had to go out of your way to use it.

So you'll be fine with what Steam gives you. Well…you'll be as fine as everybody else is. Underlying Unity and KSP logic bugs affect all platforms.

Thanks everyone. I don't intend to install mods. I will simply take whatever Steam gives me.

Oh, but do try mods! I understand getting to know the game in stock, but once you're familiar with it, you'll see mods open up a galaxy of possibilities.

I don't intend to install mods.

You'll play for awhile like that just fine. One day you'll notice you wish you had a part for xyz, or maybe something smaller, or bigger, or one that moved, or something you could attach or any number of things... then you'll find there's a mod for it. ;)

Until x64 comes out and removes the 3.7gb RAM limit I seem to have had a lot of luck running KSP under forced Dx11. I used to be at ~3.5gb on launch and crash constantly, under DX11 i'm at ~1.9 and have no issues with glitches/crashes that I've noticed *fingers crossed*

I just read this in a Google search, dated May 2014: "Beware that the 64 bit Windows version of KSP is said to have quite a lot of bugs that aren't there with the 32bit version. Also, beware that many mods will not run with the 64bit Windows version, as modders don't see any reason to code around bugs in 64bit KSP."

Is any of that true?

Probably true.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.