Dragcubes...sorry, what? [HELP!]

Kartoffelkuchen

Hi guys!

Dragcubes - I've always wondered what those things are. It seems like they practically show the game where it has to simulate the parts drag or so. Maybe you know it, but I am working on the 1.0 release of my Atlas V rocket, and I have big issues with the 500 variants fairings. I first thought, because they are so big, and because the Aero doesn't supports these kind of Fairings, that their size would be the reason which makes the rocket flip over. But now, Thomas P. Kerman made the dragcubes of my Fairing visible and discovered this:

RuSS29J.png

Yes, those are the dragcubes. And now you can clearly see why this thing flips over every time. Now, I wan't to change those automatically generated dragcubes, but I don't have any idea how. I know that the game-generated drag cubes can be found in the PartDatabase, and I found this for that Fairing there:

DRAG_CUBE

{

cube = Default, 126.6394,0.7717016,2.786276, 126.6394,0.8077257,2.706669, 11.37778,0.3338757,7.917125, 11.37778,0.4912322,23.55094, 62.35514,0.7758831,2.789024, 62.35514,0.7709386,2.789024, 1.35,12.67764,-4.533876E-06, 2.700002,25.35527,5.40001

}

So, what the ... are all those numbers? How do I change them so that the Fairing has proper dragcubes? And when we are already at it, where do you recommend to place those cubes? I'd guess on the sides of the model, and when the model changes (like getting thinner) I'd place them there too. But is that right?

It would be great if you could help me there guys!

KK

No...I've already thought about that, but really, it wouldn't fit with the rest of the rocket. Also, you cannot clearly say how they should look like, so no, I won't use that.
Actually you can, there's a fairing pack for Tantares that has custom shapes and textures.

@MeCripp: Well, those two threads look really good! Thank you!

@_Augustus_: Well, no, I somehow don't like Procedural Fairings that much when it comes to "real" Fairings, and it looks like I have something to make the Fairing "work" now...stay tuned.

THANK YOU. I hate proc fairings. Especially if it was put onto this. If it was put onto this the world would burn in a ball of fire

It'll change it's size, but not the overall shape.

And you can always lock the fairing size.

How you lock them ? Be nice to know ?

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT- @ Kartoffelkuchen No problem hope they help my mind is still clouded on it lol and love the Atlas V can't wait for some one to make a Vulcan.

Hey,

just had a wild thought: Thomas P., would it be possible to manipulate the projected drag cube in KSP? I'm thinking of something similar to CIT NodeHelper, a very useful tool for modders...

Thanks and cheers

The procedural fairings that were introduced in 1.0 would not look good on any real world rocket replica and should never be a part of the launchers pack in my opinion. They work great in the stock game, or for stockalike mod packs, but not if you're aim is realism.

Does the drag cubes only cause problems for the Atlas V fairings, or do they affect the fairing for all the vehicles in the launchers pack?

I've got some pretty big fairings for my Ariane 6 rockets, the biggest being 5m in diameters and 20m long, and I have not encountered any issues related to drag cubes. I'm curious why that is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.