Do they turn blue?

steuben

Every time I put a lander down, correctly oriented, the famous lines go though my mind:

- Houston, Tranquility Base here ... The Eagle has landed.

- Roger, Tranquility. We copy you on the ground. You got a bunch of guys about to turn blue.

What colour do kerbals turn if they do hold their breath? I wasn't quickly finding anything, that would answer the question.

While there may not be a canon answer, I am willing to accept fanon answers.

It depends on why they are green. For us, blood isn't really red, it just looks that way. So, when we run out of O2, the hemoglobin changes color, which appears to be blue.

I'm going to guess that Kerbals have similar blood to Vulcans. Blood color of Vulcans is green, but turns red if no O2.

So, in this case, the quote would be:

- Houston, Tranquility Base here ... The Eagle has landed.

- Roger, Tranquility. We copy you on the ground. You got a bunch of guys about to turn red. We're breathing again, thanks a lot

"It just looks that way" - so it's red. That's kinda how colors work ;P The rest is true though.

But who's to say Kerbals breathe in the first place? They don't appear to have noses, and have been seen frequently keeping their mouths closed. So they might not change color under stress at all.

But who's to say Kerbals breathe in the first place? They don't appear to have noses, and have been seen frequently keeping their mouths closed. So they might not change color under stress at all.

Recent studies show that Kerbals indeed don't actually breathe. Their constant state of either excitation or fear, their lack of any noticeable survival instinct and the fact that they can only focus on one task at a time has led biologists to think that Kerbals aren't able to breathe from the day they are born (or spawn, or whatever...). Then, natural selection has made them able to survive and live in good health, without the need to breathe.

Recent studies show that Kerbals indeed don't actually breathe. Their constant state of either excitation or fear, their lack of any noticeable survival instinct and the fact that they can only focus on one task at a time has led biologists to think that Kerbals aren't able to breathe from the day they are born (or spawn, or whatever...). Then, natural selection has made them able to survive and live in good health, without the need to breathe.

Yes, yes, totally correct.

Spawned with everything they need. And dont you just love their little outfits!

Meh in my game some Kerbals are blue by default (portraits in pic below). . . . they don't all HAVE to be green, much like all humans aren't exactly the same colour, in my head-canon at least.

http://i.imgur.com/qzMJzVJ.png

I like that :D Is that your own work, or is there actually a texture replacer pack out there that does that?

I like that :D Is that your own work, or is there actually a texture replacer pack out there that does that?

Its based upon this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107471-1-0-4-TextureReplacer-2-4-8-%2813-8-2015%29?p=2066086&viewfull=1#post2066086

The author of that helpfully included a GIMP file so you could make your own variations with ease.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.