Micarooni Station: a Class-E Asteroid Station in LKO UPDATED

Mister Dilsby

Here's a "normal" mission report from me (though all of this takes place in the Kerbfleet save featured in the comics) detailing how I built this very nice little asteroid station in LKO:

ovbq8i9.png

Key features include a lab, mining and refining capability, and a landing platform that can support several big ships at once. There's room to expand as well. This all started when I noticed a Class E rock already in Kerbin orbit--very eliptical and nearly polar, but at least I didn't have to go out of Kerbin SOI to get it.

Here's the ship you see docked to the station's ventral port-- the Kranefly, named for its passing resemblance to a bug with big wings. Also it works a bit like a construction crane, doesn't it?

2SbvLWH.png

That's as much as I could fit in the picture. Boosters are 4xMammoth engines, main propulsion is 6xLV-N. You can see how I arranged the boosters radially to allow the Klaw attachment to go on the tail of the Kranefly, getting around the problem of not being able to put a stack node under the klaw.

First album is the Kranefly's launch and orbit sequence, ending with the asteroid rendezvous in LKO.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Next, adding the control tower and landing platform. Not all this is necessary, but it's cool.

Control tower holds the lab and mining equipment. The cupolas are meant to give a good view of the landing platform. Here it is transiting to the asteroid, courtesy of the trusty Kranefly:

R5KdXDq.png

And how it got there:

Next up, a second platform and some more solar panels.

Edited by Kuzzter

First album is the Kranefly's launch and orbit sequence, ending with the asteroid rendezvous in LKO.

Thanks! That is very nice.

Makes me want to do a more ambitious capture (my first and only was a class B, just a few weeks ago).

Happy landings!

Cool base, Kuzz. How long do you think it will last, fuel-wise?

Thanks! There's still well over 1000t of ore left in the rock after all the Kranefly's various orbital maneuvers to get it in position, so it could be there for quite some time. Of course I can supply it with ore from Minmus or fuel from the surface indefinitely.

You managed to attach multiple claws without kraken?

HOW?:confused:

Not without incident, that's for sure. Station rips itself apart roughly 1 time in every 3 when a craft of any kind starts maneuvering within close physics range. Much F5/F9. But once you're in close and maneuvering and the kraken has NOT appeared, you're pretty safe.

I was having difficulties moving up to the Mk3 line for my SSTO's and scoured the forum for ideas. Fortunately for me I found your great stories and (as a bonus) was inspired by both the Hummlebee & the Kranefly designs. Thank you!

I was having difficulties moving up to the Mk3 line for my SSTO's and scoured the forum for ideas. Fortunately for me I found your great stories and (as a bonus) was inspired by both the Hummlebee & the Kranefly designs. Thank you!

Thanks, and welcome to the Forum!

Is it still ripping itself apart regularly?

Or is the moar powerful computer helping smooth that situation out?

Happy landings!

It's been fine, though I haven't had a ship near it recently--I've just gone over there for a couple of images. Though when Kranefly left the station to refuel Hummlebee there were no issues. Kraken strikes tend to happen when an approaching ship controls from a docking port within physics range.

I was just reading somewhere on the forums that the Stock Bugfix Mod improves the stability of the klaw significantly.

Anyway, I suppose it's possible to dock without controlling from the docking port, just a PITA. More painful for large/sluggish ships.

Happy landings!

I was just reading somewhere on the forums that the Stock Bugfix Mod improves the stability of the klaw significantly.

Anyway, I suppose it's possible to dock without controlling from the docking port, just a PITA. More painful for large/sluggish ships.

Stock bugfix may indeed be worth a look! And yes, I often end up controlling from the cockpit because it can be as much or more of a PITA for me to remember which way is up/down/left right for a belly-mounted port. That, and due to the "target docking port" mode being screwy I usually end up docking visually anyway :)

Hey Kuzztler, have you tried using Kerbal Inventory System to attach a docking port to the asteroid, and docking to it? Would not need the klaw...

That sounds pretty slick--I am pretty much a stock kind of guy though so have not installed KIS :)

That, and due to the "target docking port" mode being screwy I usually end up docking visually anyway :)

I've taken to changing my root part to wherever I've got a radial docking port mounted, and I try to get it on the CoM of that part. Seems to work with lining up using the 'target docking port' and 'control from here'. Of course, that may reinvite the Space Beet. :)

Happy landings!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.