FAR Fighter Challenge: BD Armory AI

I could make the Skua more stable, but it seems to work better this way. :P

Anyway, these new designs look promising. I'm sure the Skua's reign of terror will end soon enough.

Well, all my designs have won against it ( not counting it falling apart or running out of fuel ), just not reliably. Today's was looking almost great, and now I've broken it trying to get round control mixing & DD not working as well as I'd like :P although that's mostly that it's lost the ability to dodge missiles.

Go to the control surface and hover your mouse over it. Then click K. You should be able to find out what all those numbers mean through experimentation.

P.S Make sure you have Dynamic Dyflection installed.

DD is installed ... I may have to make some adjustments to my control surfaces now though

Testing

Ooh, there's a D-8? If so, can you upload the link again? I'll fight it while I upload the CANUKWorks DF-101 Crysis versus K-3B1 Arctic Skua.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind, I found it. Fighting shall begin!

- - - Updated - - -

Arctic Skua wins.

Edited by SpaceplaneAddict

The D-8 Kamikazied. However, it did manage to cripple/destroy the Arctic Skua before that, so Ima call it a win. Next rounds coming soon!

Today's results:
Faukker DR-3= Defeated by Arctic Skua
DF 101 Crysis= Defeated by Arctic Skua
D-8= Won against Arctic Skua for first round Edited by SpaceplaneAddict

Faukker got a win the time I tried it, but only did it once. Stabber F2 is 2/3 at the moment - it managed to shoot itself with an AIM-9 in the third round, I wish I'd been vidcapping because that was just hysterical.

Today's craft got extremely technical in the end - I discovered how to more or less replicate the effects of variable geometry wings without actually needing to do it physically, but trying to set it up with these limited tools is a tedious nightmare, so that will be an ongoing project I think.

Running the Faukker again - I think it might be a bit better off without that crazily heavy gun, given it's only got one engine...

Edited by Van Disaster

Yeah, I reckon that's a kill for the D-8. I've had that sort of thing happen in tests a few times. Helps if you turn down the firing delay -- if both planes have a high enough delay, they will actually collide every time. Close fight, though -- did I see a missile fly right past the D-8's tail at one point?

Today's craft got extremely technical in the end - I discovered how to more or less replicate the effects of variable geometry wings without actually needing to do it physically, but trying to set it up with these limited tools is a tedious nightmare, so that will be an ongoing project I think.

That.... Would be amazing.

Today's results:

D-8= Won against Arctic Skua for first round

Seems imma having some stability issues, my DF-101 Crysis is a wee bit wobbly lol

Gonna tweak her design a bit and send her your way for a rematch

That.... Would be amazing.

Simple concept - if you feed AoA into a control surface it becomes invisible aerodynamically ( if it's following AoA, anyway ). Now if you vary the deflection based on dynamic pressure you've got a surface that varies the CoP of a wing at a given angle of attack based on dynamic pressure - which is basically why you want to sweep a wing back & forward. Well there's also the drag thing, but I have no idea why you *want* a variable drag wing :) Set the craft up to be slightly unstable without the control surfaces attached, now when you attach them & go and fly you have a gain control for the elevators based on DP, and you can have either nice & small elevators or just have them not deflect much; now you can also imagine how big a pain in the rear setting it up is :S

One major problem is if you stall you're probably going to pitch up rather than down, as you have a basically unstable aeroplane. I do have one or two versions which were just stable enough to fly around fully stalled, but they're not really good combat craft :P

This would be a lot easier if we could mix inputs and have each input seperately dynamically controlled... also if it paid attention to airspeed a bit.

Edited by Van Disaster

The D-8 Kamikazied. However, it did manage to cripple/destroy the Arctic Skua before that, so Ima call it a win. Next rounds coming soon!

Today's results:

D-8= Won against Arctic Skua for first round

It's a best of three competition SpaceplaneAddict. The Skua has to beat my DR-3 once more to be declared the winner, then has to beat the Crysis once more as well.

Faukker got a win the time I tried it, but only did it once. Stabber F2 is 2/3 at the moment - it managed to shoot itself with an AIM-9 in the third round, I wish I'd been vidcapping because that was just hysterical.

Running the Faukker again - I think it might be a bit better off without that crazily heavy gun, given it's only got one engine...

I designed it around the GAU-8 from the beginning as a gunfighter. Unfortunately as I said the craft files got a little confused and that's an interim design not the final product, but oh well. Besides speed isn't the issue in this competition, wing loading and manoeuvrability is.

It's a best of three competition SpaceplaneAddict. The Skua has to beat my DR-3 once more to be declared the winner, then has to beat the Crysis once more as wel.

Please, be my guest and tell Wanderlfound this. The way I saw Wanderfound do it/

Challenger loses? Defeated.

Challenger wins? Best of 3 now.

I will happily record it again if you want a rematch, however.

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody know where Wanderfound is?

Well I spent some time fighting the Skua, but tbh that isn't now the problem craft - the D-8 would eat everything I've built if it didn't fall apart on it's own 4/5 fights... it's pretty weak against early-battle missiles too if you get off the runway & turn around fast.

Gotta be stylin', yo.

21702395448_8f3fb10feb_c.jpg

EZ-Ryder - seems to eat Skuas, but the D-8 has it for a small snack when it stays together. Never mind combat, it's all for bling!

Edited by Van Disaster

I've built an outgrowth of my DR-3 that can out turn anything anyone has posted by a large factor. For about 1/10th of a second, then the wings rip off and it crashes. If your plane can't fly and stay together, it's not going to win the champion spot.