FAR Fighter Challenge: BD Armory AI

And I think it is also the first forward swept wing in the challenge.

My CANUKWorks DF-101 Crysis came before you and actually I know there was at least one other forward swept wing design before mine

And on that note, my overhaul of the DF-101 is pretty much complete and the updated craft file will be uploaded tomorrow for a rematch

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Maybe its a bit early to enter another plane, but here is the d-10: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpkea1sm7inh9gl/d-10.craft?dl=0

Oddly enough, it seems to do better against the Hawk Moth than against the d-9, even though the Hawk Moth usually beats the d-9.

The missiles are perhaps a bit pointless because the missile pylon overheats very time, but they do make the AI turn on the radar which is useful.

Sorry I'm making so much work for you guys, but every time someone makes a plane that is better than my current best, I feel like I have to do better.

sO2bdcC.jpg

Well, no; it has default DD settings, it's like watching an airliner fight - complete with the inevitable lawndart. I will leave it in the queue as the next challenger after mine, I'm about to attempt to sleep.

Keep forgetting to get DD. I cant remember what the stock settings would be.. Wanderfound posted them last time I posted a craft.

Keep forgetting to get DD. I cant remember what the stock settings would be.. Wanderfound posted them last time I posted a craft.

Default settings are full power at low pressure, dropping off sharply as it rises. With the version I recorded, I changed that to 100% at all pressures to restore it to how it would function without DD.

- - - Updated - - -

Err, Wanderound? I know your sick, but will you still be updating the leaderboard?

Just updated.

I can't guarantee to keep a regular eye on this at the moment, however. If anyone wants to take over the first post, I'd be fine with that.

More videos for me :D

Seriously, who do I fight against what?

Even if it seems a foregone conclusion, stick to the queue, so:

* My Hawk Moth vs D-9

* Hodo's F-154 from yesterday vs winner, when he's updated it for DD/given his DD prefs.

* D-10 vs winner.

Maybe some of them are champs for 10 mins, but that's how it's set up.

-

Seems with the current state of the AI that it's a turn rate arms race. I have a twin engined craft with absurdly low drag & high TWR I was trying to set up to do high-speed passes - it's scored some D-10 kills but it always wants to get into a slow dogfight if it doesn't extend enough & of course it's going to lose against a turn fighter. Will wait & see what other responses there are. I asked for a slider to control the dogfight/extend point, but that all depends on BD.

Edited by Van Disaster

Even if it seems a foregone conclusion, stick to the queue, so:

* My Hawk Moth vs D-9

* Hodo's F-154 from yesterday vs winner, when he's updated it for DD/given his DD prefs.

* D-10 vs winner.

Maybe some of them are champs for 10 mins, but that's how it's set up.

-

Seems with the current state of the AI that it's a turn rate arms race. I have a twin engined craft with absurdly low drag & high TWR I was trying to set up to do high-speed passes - it's scored some D-10 kills but it always wants to get into a slow dogfight if it doesn't extend enough & of course it's going to lose against a turn fighter. Will wait & see what other responses there are. I asked for a slider to control the dogfight/extend point, but that all depends on BD.

Higher missile lethality would make a big difference. I'm actually surprised the Skua lost to a pure turnfighter -- I really thought the arms race was headed towards 'jack of all trades' designs that combined agility and performance, but that D-9 is so ludicrously agile that forcing it onto the defensive just doesn't have any effect. :huh:

I've been tinkering with alternate designs, but I think I'll give it a break until 1.1 hits/BD Armoury gets an update and some new possibilities open up. Since we've got forward-sweeps and other nuclear turnfighting options cropping up, the competition looks pretty fierce.

Also, Wanderfound, I'm really sorry to hear you haven't been well.

Well, I did play around with something today that was killing the D-10 regularily with AIM-9 strikes, I don't think it even used it's gun once - but it's probably a sitting duck to most other things, it's certainly got the wave drag of an oil tanker. I thought fast & agile was the way forward also - hence my flying wing - but apparently it's too fast & the AI loves to turn the engines off when you're sat in front of something's guns. The thing I attempted a bounce-fighter with is slippery enough that it gains speed while in an engines-idle supersonic dive but even that wasn't enough to stop the AI trying to turn.

Still, a missile platform might be worth some exploring. The D-9/10 are agile in turns but not great TWR.

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen,

let me introduce the K-22.

In prelimiary tests, it fireballed the current champion, the Arctic Skua, in 4 out of 7. K-22 was never shot down. (Twice the aricraft collided, once the Skua ran out of fuel, which I generously count as a draw.)

PXMDyNI.jpg

Here's the craft file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxx7olwtuFoIc1M0MWhoTnRXRUk/view?usp=sharing

Cheers,

Ezbro

EDIT: just saw that the Skua has been beaten by others, too, just the leader-board wasn't updated. So my tests were probably useless... now downloading D-10 etc. in preparation of the Mk2.

EDIT2: OK, K-22 is useless against D-10, as it can't go slow at all... :-(

Edited by E805BzRo

21328730344_272f720ec7_c.jpg

That would be a D-10 killer if I developed it, but look at the wing area it needs - generally if it manages to live through the first minute it flies around taking the odd potshot until either it gets a missile kill, a rare gun kill or the D-10 falls apart. Zero real development though. If it gets any more retro it'll need propellors :P

E805BzRo, your craft keeps pulling itself apart just after takeoff: dynamic deflection settings seem to be defaults, is that right?

Edit: I did notice a really neat consequence of one thing on that craft though ( once I'd adjusted the wings so they didn't rip off ), I shall be stealing that in future.

Edited by Van Disaster

So I have determined that my DF-101 Crysis is completely unsuitable for this challenge. I thought that I could adapt her to this challenge ... Oh how I was wrong in this assumption

However I have decided to design an off-center cockpit fighter to replace her ... B-wing Anybody?

That works considerably better. Speed limiter is 2kph over I think

You have my permission to drop the speed limiter back 2kph. Which is not that big of a deal so I am fine with it.

Oddly it *is* a big deal somehow, I noticed the AI decision making changed a bit.

Funny I wouldnt have thought it made that much of a difference. Meh, eitherway, adjust it as you see fit, I would love to see how the fight goes with it at 402 vs 399.