So... now more emphasis on planes

KerikBalm

Everyone including NovaSilisko... I've seen him bashing his own parts on Reddit once...

...and here very recently

I hate my parts. Hate them. I never managed to really finalize in my head how I wanted the style to look until it was too late, really. The Tantares pack is, artistically, the closest thing I think. As mikegarrison says, you can witness the different geological layers of the game's art style as different artists made their mark. It's... messy.

You heard the man beales tantares mod looks more stock than stock. Go check it out and badger your favorite youtubers and twitch streamers into using it like you all do with rss and intersellar ;)

Poor NovaSilisko, everyone keeps calling his parts are trash.
Does that mean they're above criticism? Should I not say that I think Roverdude puts out some incredibly ugly parts that I would rather not see in stock? Should I not say that, while Porkjet is pretty amazing, the large wings that were added in 1.0 aren't good parts because they don't mesh together well?

Porkjet obviously knows what he's doing. Roverdude has made good looking parts that I would like to see as habs in RSS. I've seen some of Nova's later work and he has progressed, and if he's the originator of the hand-drawn texture then I applaud him because that's something I love about the stock parts. Criticism does not detract from the talent.

Just wanted to put my 2 cents here...

(I didn't read any post of this thread, except the OP, which I will be replying to.)

So, I can say I've been there for a reasonnable amount of time...and I must admit that an overhaul of the aero was needed, even some parts for planes/etc.

But,

I'm kinda pissed that almost one year of developpement have been spent (almost exclusively) on planes and such.

I'm not complaining: that was much needed!

But I hope that Squad didn't forget the world "Space" of their game...That's all I'm saying!

And before anyone got the great idea to try to "remind" me this:

YES, there have been a decent work done too on the space aspect of the game!

-Not a rant. Will not rep.

(I didn't read any post of this thread, except the OP, which I will be replying to.)

So, I can say I've been there for a reasonnable amount of time...and I must admit that an overhaul of the aero was needed, even some parts for planes/etc.

But,

I'm kinda pissed that almost one year of developpement have been spent (almost exclusively) on planes and such.

But I hope that Squad didn't forget the world "Space" of their game...That's all I'm saying!

The phenomenon is explainable you see the mastermind behind these new plane parts is a fellow by the name of porkjet who squad has allowed to essentially run wild and make art for what he wants. the devs have said that 1.1 could just have been unity5 all these extra things are stuff the "modding collaborators" have been working on of their own free will so just look at it as a bonus and not as a conspiracy to turn this into KSPP ;)

But,

It's called a a Spaceplane, isn't it (all except the turbo fan of course). Or did nothing NASA did from 1981 to 2011 count as "space"?

FWIW, space vs not space... I'm rather unenthusiastic about a small size turbofan, assuming it behaves similarly to the basic jet.

The large torbofan looks like fun for some large designs... but...

I think I used basic jets once in career mode for a survey contract that wasn't too far away, and that is it. It will probably stay that way.

The basic jet just isn't usefull for getting into *space*. I use exclusively turboramjets and rapiers, because those do get me into *space*

I am mildly interested in 0.625m jet engines for autonomous probes on Laythe, but seems like maybe they killed those with the remote control changes. Without something better than a turbofan, I probably won't have the patience for flying around laythe anyway.

The panther looks interesting as its something that may be able to serve as a functional spaceplane engine until turboramjets are unlocked.

A 0.625m panther type engine could be interesting as a high speed means of getting around laythe.

I'm just not that interested in flying around Kerbin, but maybe I'll take another look around with the panther... it should be faster than the basic jet, but not so fast that I find myself on ballistic trajectories with limited maneuvering, like with the turboramjets.

I never bothered with a turbo+ basic design to go visit the pyramids or the duplicate KSC, or the poles.

I pretty much takeoff, if I want a polar orbit do a turn, and then climb and prepare for orbital insertion.

I already use Mk3 parts in pure non-aero spacecraft (they are the best option for storing LF in large quantities).

That ramp looks very nice for deploying and recovering rovers on other bodies... But I still probably won't use rovers (maybe when the wheel physics gets updated), and will just use reusable landers and orbiting fuel depots, even more so with ISRU.

I still want a LFO burning turbine engine/air augmented ramrocket for duna/eve, or at least electric propulsion (fuel cell + electric propulsion = high efficiency LFO atmospheric propulsion for duna/eve).

But I think before that, we should switch back to a space emphasis... prokjet has that LANTR engine sitting around, lets incorporate that (although I think that one is a bit under powered, needs more thrust in afterburning mode).

I do like the nuclear lightbulb... but I fear its too OPd... even at the very end of the tech tree.

12.5% better TWR than the LV-N, and 87.5% better Isp...

The radioisotope rocket also looks cool, but given the OP ion engine, it doesn't seem that competitive.

While I don't use the isru I think it would be great to have a convertor half the size of the current one with a quarter of the efficiency/speed with half to a third of ec requirement and/or one a quarter of the size with an eighth efficiency/speed and a third to a quarter of the ec requirment. With that you could also add drills with similar size, efficiency, ec requirment and perhaps drill length (ie: the smallest ones would need to be almost touching the ground to drill).

The detectors seem to be good where they're at considering that they're not very heavy and the ones you use for more precision tend to be small enough to 'hide' in any lander.

On the opposite end of that spectrum, you could also have smaller convertors that operated much more efficiently and faster, but required more ec and had more heat output.

I'm just spitballing here and only read about a quarter of the posts so I don't know if the isru system was touch on, but I'd probably start using it if it wasn't so bulky(especially for earlier missions)

The phenomenon is explainable you see the mastermind behind these new plane parts is a fellow by the name of porkjet who squad has allowed to essentially run wild and make art for what he wants. the devs have said that 1.1 could just have been unity5 all these extra things are stuff the "modding collaborators" have been working on of their own free will so just look at it as a bonus and not as a conspiracy to turn this into KSPP ;)

The obvious solution is they should contract someone who makes good rocket parts and let them run wild, too.

The new 0.625m jet engine was really superfluous. Instead an electric propeller for non-oxigen atmospheres would have been the hit. Or at least jet engines useful for VTOL operation and not that total ridiculous COM rebalance for jet engines which sets the jet engines COM far outside the visible body just because some people can't get their alignments right. Jet engines for atmospheric flights are really not that great since there is nothing on Kerbin that is worth going to. Also since the nerf of jets and rapier and new aerodynamics spaceplanes are a lot less effective than they used to be with payload/structure ratios around 1:1 in older versions.

Other than that i like the new cockpit and 2-kerbal can which will be awesome for docking crosses. I also wish that all kerbal containers would get the 'lights on/off' feature, would make look most stations and stuff a lot better and more immersive, so hopefully it gets added to the lab, hitchhiker, cupola, ...

As for wheels, i hope they also get some serious rebalance, the big tank like wheels are totally useless and anything else like tank-worthy. They should give most traction and power. Right now you can reverse them and bake full and they still accelerate downhill on a not to steep slope on the Mun.

Guys

It's Kerbal Space Program

We need BIGGER boosters.

Seriously, I'd like to have 2.5m flat headed SRBs. Current SRBs are only useful for added thrust at launch or as first stages for light probes... ( is there any mod with 2.5m SRBs? )

2.5m variants could unlock the possibility of sending up larger stuff for little money, or just adding MOAR thrust when using MOAR boosters.

Yeah, I am in my first 1.0 career game and half way through the tech tree. I feel I have everything there is for spacecrafts (just missing ion engines). Mk3 parts seem to be more tailored for spaceplanes / spaceshuttles. What I am really missing is some Mk3 sized spacecraft parts which are tailored for long term mission. I mean, Kerbals being able to hibernate and all that interpretation is fine, but when I finally launch a 2+ year expedition, I want to make sure to have proper accomodation ready, possibly with centriopedal gravity. Try as I might, my current Mk2-part ship is the best I can come up with; there is no more need for the rest of the tech nodes, which I find a bit disappointing.

screenshot_20150806_233248.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

As for wheels, i hope they also get some serious rebalance, the big tank like wheels are totally useless and anything else like tank-worthy. They should give most traction and power. Right now you can reverse them and bake full and they still accelerate downhill on a not to steep slope on the Mun.

Currently I have the feeling to fare much better with landing gears instead of rover wheels on my, well, "rovers".

screenshot_20150821_224734.jpg

Edited by Falkenherz

Hey, I'm happy with what's been announced for 1.1. Sounds like a good thing al-in-all, especially the 64-bit, although I hope it includes fixing really annoying stuff like the spontaneous combustion bugs associated with cargo and service bays :).

As to the apparent emphasis on spaceplanes.....

Considering we had like no emphasis on them at all for a long time until recently, I think they're just playing catch-up. And unless I missed something, we still won't have 2.5m RAPIERs and intakes so I expect those to come along eventually, too. I mean, we finally got bigger landing gear so there's hope :).

I get the impression that the new small jet engine will be available early in the tech tree, which would be good for doing Kerbin biomes while they still mean something. But I agree with others that an electric prop or 3 would be quite useful.

While I don't use the isru I think it would be great to have a convertor half the size of the current one with a quarter of the efficiency/speed with half to a third of ec requirement and/or one a quarter of the size with an eighth efficiency/speed and a third to a quarter of the ec requirment. With that you could also add drills with similar size, efficiency, ec requirment and perhaps drill length (ie: the smallest ones would need to be almost touching the ground to drill).

The detectors seem to be good where they're at considering that they're not very heavy and the ones you use for more precision tend to be small enough to 'hide' in any lander.

On the opposite end of that spectrum, you could also have smaller convertors that operated much more efficiently and faster, but required more ec and had more heat output.

I'm just spitballing here and only read about a quarter of the posts so I don't know if the isru system was touch on, but I'd probably start using it if it wasn't so bulky(especially for earlier missions)

The problem with a smaller converter as demonstrated by the resource mods of old is people don't really care about efficiency they always pick the lightest and if it's slower they just time warp through it. A smaller converter would need to be more limited some how like "only makes mono prop" or some thing.

One thing I would lament about is the Launch Escape System. The orginal apollo LES, after that this is clearly modeled is much bigger:

Apollo_10_LES.jpg

I'd guess about twice as high as the KSP version, it was also much more powerfull. It could pull the CM from the Saturn V, standing at the launchpad to the sea where the CM could splash down safely. From their launchpads that is 700 to 800 meters. The ingame version merely yanks the capsule a few meters to the side.

Edited by Xeldrak

Hey, I'm happy with what's been announced for 1.1. Sounds like a good thing al-in-all, especially the 64-bit, although I hope it includes fixing really annoying stuff like the spontaneous combustion bugs associated with cargo and service bays :).

Yeah, and parts getting randomly stuck at high skin temperatures >.<

However, I'd much rather see that NaN bug finally die - y'know, the one where the navball goes black after changing ships etc.

I'm quite happy about the tiny jet - it will allow for some very cute one-Kerbal airplanes. But I really agree we could use an electric engine instead of another two more jet engines. Especially that the big one is meant to be subsonic, so useless in MK3 SSTOs - so we're still spamming whiplashes and rapiers. Orange tank to the orbit on less than 7 engines still seems impossible.

I'd guess about twice as high as the KSP version, it was also much more powerfull. It could pull the CM from the Saturn V, standing at the launchpad to the sea where the CM could splash down safely. From their launchpads that is 700 to 800 meters. The ingame version merely yanks the capsule a few meters to the side.

I think somebody accidentally swapped the dry mass and the fuel mass of the LES during development, and nobody has bothered to correct the mistake. With 0.9 tonnes of fuel instead of 0.225 tonnes, the burn time would be around 2 seconds, and the LES would actually do something useful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.