Dres Canyon Jumping Chalenge.

Rath

So the whole point of this challenge is to try to jump a rover over the dres Canyon:cool:. You ARE allowed to use rocket engines, and hyperedit to send you rover there. You DO NOT need to do a complete jump but this what I'm trying to work you guys up to. NO engings rotated to under -45% (Not a VTOL a rover)TWR may not be over one for up.

-LEADERBOARD

-Nefrums (12383)

-BlueCanary (187.0000002)

-

-

-

-

SCORING

+.1 Points per meter in the air.

+.00000000000000001 points for using a BadS kerbal and capturing their reaction

+.00000000000000001 Points for using a Super Smart scardey cat kerbal(under 10% stubidity, under 10% coruge) and caputreing their reaction.

+ 5 points per kerbal on board.

+200 for a full on canyon jump.

+10 points for a craft ramp.

+30 points for a science lab(To justify this to Kongress ('Science mission, 'renagade staff member' ect...)

+15 points for a kerbal konstructs landing ramp.

+ 25 points for a craft landing ramp

+5 points for each kerbal in a capsule.

+5 points for long mission report.

+20 points for full mission.

-1 poind per second of engine burning.

-5 points for a Kerbal Constructs Ramp

-5 points for each destroyed or detached on landing.

-1 point for each broken wheel/Landing Leg

-10 points for a probe

-1 point for each landing leg

-1 point for each rocket engine

-.05 points for each ION engine

-.3 points for each RCS thruster

Edited by Rath

'-10 for probe' Does that mean no unmanned ones and is using a probe core as part of the craft okay at least?

Also, how about the Kerbal Foundries stuff? No usage of the repulsors obviously. The KF stuff do have really high crash tolerances though.

Edit: "-1 poind per second of engine burning." I guess that includes RCS?

Edit2: "+.1 Points per meter in the air." That'd be vacuum, just nitpicking.

Edit3: In your opinion, should the MKV comm-lab from MKS count as a science lab? IMHO, it shouldn't because it's a mini-lab and due to it's size and weight, it would be too easy points because you can just slap it somewhere and not really have to work it into your rover design.

screenshot72_zpsmwyetbta.png

Edit4:

"-1 point for each broken wheel/Landing Leg

-1 point for each landing leg"

This seems kind of redundant if you're going to take off points for having landing legs on there anyway.

Edited by smjjames

Hmmmm... I was going to send a rover to Dres anyway... and I have one that got some serious air on the dunes of Laythe...

OK, might smash it to bits, but I'm in... this could be fun.

Just gonna take a couple hours to get a rover there. (I don't like hyperediting... feels like cheating).

I'll post screenshots whatever the result.

Here's my entry. I doubt it will do well on points, but it was fun to fly.

Sometimes I think KSP is realistic, and then a 20 tonne rocket powered house on the back of a pickup truck jumps a massive canyon on another world at 270 mph and drives away.

I used pandoraskitten's house on the back of my pickup truck with some SRBs stuck on the side and hyperedited it to the canyon. Two SRB's were to accelerate it to around 120m/s and the other two were to break it to safe landing speed. After many tries to get the timing right I was able to land it intact, but with 4 broken wheels, which Bill was able to fix. Val drove, and Jeb sat on the toilet throughout.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

These screenshots could be from several different attempts, so that's why times etc. may not add up.

'-10 for probe' Does that mean no unmanned ones and is using a probe core as part of the craft okay at least?

Also, how about the Kerbal Foundries stuff? No usage of the repulsors obviously. The KF stuff do have really high crash tolerances though.

Edit3: In your opinion, should the MKV comm-lab from MKS count as a science lab? IMHO, it shouldn't because it's a mini-lab and due to it's size and weight, it would be too easy points because you can just slap it somewhere and not really have to work it into your rover design.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot72_zpsmwyetbta.png

Edit4:

This seems kind of redundant if you're going to take off points for having landing legs on there anyway.

You can use a probe for free so long as u have a kerbal on board.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you add a bonus if a landing ramp is used? That makes it easier to survive but much harder to actually land on.
. I got one.

- - - Updated - - -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot72_zpsmwyetbta.png

Edit4:

. I agree on the lab thing. I'll add a different RCS Penalty. Thanks for reminding me.

- - - Updated - - -

You stole my idea for a challenge ;).

Further, where's your version? You can't issue a challenge without having done it yourself first :).

. You can, so long as it's medium-hard doable. As far as I can tell

Kool but can u do your own math because I just had math class and my brain is fried

Ok, here's a rough estimate because I forgot to record a lot of stuff.

200 for canyon jump (if I have done what you would classify as that)

+0.0000000002 for Val and Jeb

15 points for 3 kerbals on board

-20 points for 20 seconds-ish of engine burn

-4 points for 4 broken wheels

-4 points for 4 SRBs.

I don't know how high it went - it went up at about a 20 degree angle and 130m/s with about 2 minutes flight time but other than that I don't know. It probably won't be a very competetive entry anyway so I doubt it will matter for the leaderboard.

So that's 187.0000002 points if I added up right. I might do another entry later to try and get a better score if that's alright by you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.