deployable/retractable heatshield?

Tomato29

Hello everyone,

I'm new on that forum website and I play ksp for a few month ago. I created a interplanetary spaceship with mods and resized pieces, and I was searching for a big deployable and retractable heatshield that could allow me to aerobrake on jool and save tons of fuel. I suck at unity and bender so I couldn't create one myself. Would you know a mod that adds this kind of piece?

thanks! :)

Then you'll need to use Laythe to aerobrake. It works just as well and is far safer.

Laythe still has a dense high atmosphere, so this is not 100% safe either.

Best thing to do is use Tylo (or Laythe/Vall, but they are less massive) to do a gravity assist that will put you in orbit around Jool. That requires a bit of tweaking at your initial burn though.

I posted updates in the ADEPT thread and Deadly Reentry also patches it for compatibility.

It could be rescaled easily enough to cover a larger area if someone took the time to do it properly

There was a parts pack with a larger shield that would probably be suitable for braking a large ship but it's badly in need of an update.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/12106-0-25-Lionhead-Aerospace-Inc-Icarus-v0-4-updated

Bahamuto Dynamics Shielded port.

Allows to attach things below the heatshield and close it when those things are no longer required.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/49035-WIP-Bahamuto-Dynamics-%28Dockable-Fairings%29-11-5-13

All parts require a little modification:

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.1250235, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1

I.e. as usual, fifth value in "node_stack_bottom" line must be negative.

The icarus project was exactly what I was searching! perfect. thanks all, see you around :)

Well, unless you play with a year old version of KSP, I doubt that will work :P

As MaverickSawyer said, this mod has been abandonned for quite a while...

xQewzrG.gif

If someone is interested to finally finish it, I'd give away my old heatshield project.

IIRC the Animation and UV mapping is done. Only textures and Unity import needs to be done.

Link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/95260-WIP-Opening-Closing-reusable-Heatshield%28now-less-obstructive-still-wip%29

Just msg me for the files.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.