I lose more Kerbals that way...

Vallius

Most deadly phase for your space missions?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Most deadly phase for your space missions?

• Launchpad/runway before ignition
    • Takeoff
    • Kerbin atmospheric ascent
    • Orbital Maneuvers
    • Docking/undocking
    • Extraterrestrial landing/takeoff
    • Reentry
    • Parachutes
    • Space plane landing
    • Other

I've not lost any Kerbals in this save (at least as of Ch. 6, Pg. 16...) but definitely have had more accidents trying to land spaceplanes than doing anything else. Fun fact: Tedus Kerman has never landed a plane in one piece, though he has always "walked away". Jeb is about 50/50. I'm not sure my Val has ever made an attempt until just now.

Historically, for me it's rockets tumbling out of control during the ascent phase. Oh, I also lost a lot to aircraft landing until I started using a gamepad to control airplanes - an analog stick makes a world of difference.

However, in my latest career game with TAC, Dangit, and Entropy mods, I lost one astronaut due to a life support failure. 23 days of oxygen seems plenty to get to Minmus and back, until the TAC container springs a leak, leaving you with 2 1/2 days worth in the capsule while 8-9 days from home. I now design redundancy into all of my craft, enough so that a single failure won't prevent the crew from at least getting back. Spare TAC containers, several small batteries instead of one big one, an extra reaction wheel, and all of the resources in the crew capsule starting full but disabled and held in reserve.

I recently picked up playing this again after a long hiatus. I'll balance this with guildwars 2 anymore. Anyway...

First mission around the Mun in my new save. Things were going smoothly for Jeb. He orbited Mun once then came back. Problem was the parachute was set to activate on the same stage as the command module decoupler and there is no way to disarm the chute. It popped during re-entry and ripped off. Poor Jeb. He took a day off while Valentina flew the Mun landing mission and was somehow back to work the next morning smelling like seaweed.

Used to be the most dangerous thing for my kerbals was working around a ground base on minmus or mun. Riding in a vehicle with TR-XL3 wheels on a low gravity planet was second place.

Extra-terrestrial takeoff and landing.

"Hmm...I don't see my shadow yet...where is it? Am I near the grou--KABOOM! There it is."

"This place looks flat. Coming down slowly...still looks flat. Touching down...OH CRAP! Its at a 45 degree angle! Throttle up! Oh know, I'm too far down on the fall. KABOOM!"

I really wish there was a way to tell how level the ground is before the last minute.

I never lose Kerbals by accident, only deliberately. Periodically, I get some wild hair to build something completely crazy, like a trebuchet to fling Kerbals onto the roof of the VAB, or a Panjandrum-type rover, or something along those lines. Then I wipe out entire penal battalions of Kerbals testing such things :).

I've never lost kerbals in this career, but overheating during Reentry (Kerbin, Eve) and Extraterrestrial landing (tests with Tylo recently, Jeb and Bob were like crashtestdummies) are the most dangerous.

I never lose Kerbals by accident, only deliberately. Periodically, I get some wild hair to build something completely crazy, like a trebuchet to fling Kerbals onto the roof of the VAB, or a Panjandrum-type rover, or something along those lines. Then I wipe out entire penal battalions of Kerbals testing such things :).

Gosh. I've never found Evil to be spelled "F-U-N" before. :]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.