[WIP][Kopernicus] Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered v.03: Redone Duna and Laythe and Tylo!

Whirligig Girl

RELEASE THREAD

NOT TO BE CONFUSED with Alternis Kerbol Reloaded.

Alternis Kerbol was awesome. Really rather awesome indeed.

So Amarius tried to make Alternis Kerbol Reloaded, and kind of did an incomplete job. I'm trying to make a new version that fixes all the problems of Amarius' Alternis. This is my first Kopernicus mod, really a learning experience. I'm sure I'll look back at this one day and say "jeez what was I thinking?" and fix it. I definitely encourage others to expand off of this if they can do it better than I, it would be awesome to get Alternis Kerbol back, and I may not be experienced enough to do it.

Thanks to:

NovaSilisko (original author)

NathanKell (helping)

Sigma88 (helping)

KillAshley (helping)

MrHappyFace (Some much needed Laythey-type help.)

Thomas P. (Help, and maintaining/making Kopernicus)

Alternis, God of Change and Difference decided to smite the hell out of the Kerbals' home solar system, and this is what happened.

Jool: Moved to Kerbin's original orbit, made blue.

Kerbin: Orbits Jool where Tylo used to.

Minmus: Orbits Jool beneath Laythe.

Tylo: Orbits the Sun, now with a 4g atmosphere and 1103 km radius.

Duna: Orbits Tylo, and completely new, butterscotch terrain.

Dres: First moon of Tylo.

Eve: Orbit Eccentricity slightly increased.

Moho: Orbit moved inward, made slightly more eccentric.

Gilly: Small comet.

Ike: Fat comet.

Mun: Replaces Vall's orbit.

Vall: Orbits Eeloo, shrunk to 99.8 km radius.

Eeloo: Moved outward, grown to 500 km radius.

This mod requires the Kopernicus plugin to function.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

To-do log:

Give Tylo its atmosphere (partially created)

Make Minmus red and give it craters

Make an alternate version with a minibop orbiting Kerbin (like original Alternis)

Planetshine configs?

Redo the description texts

Redo science definitions

Redo career mode progression.

Recolor Jool's atmosphere.

0.02 changes:

Given Tylo an invisible though functional atmosphere.

Given Laythe its new, green terrain.

Redone all orbits to be accurate to original Alternis Kerbol rather than the inaccurate approximations of Amarius' version.

0.03 changes:

Overhauled Duna.

KerbalStuff

Edited by GregroxMun

Todo:

Reskin Laythe so that it has green on it.

Why don't you patch the existing LandControl on laythe, the exact same way that Alternis Kerbol did.

Judging on this bit of code from the original alternis kerbol...

PQSLandControl cb_laythe_lc = cb_laythe.pqsController.gameObject.GetComponentInChildren<PQSLandControl>();
if (cb_laythe_lc != null)
{
print("Found LandControl, spewing land classes...");
foreach (PQSLandControl.LandClass lc in cb_laythe_lc.landClasses)
{
print(lc.landClassName);
print(lc.color);

if (lc.landClassName == "Mud")
{
lc.color = new Color(0.35f, 0.25f, 0.2f);
lc.noiseColor = new Color(0.26f, 0.27f, 0.15f);
lc.noiseBlend = 0.8f;
lc.noiseFrequency = 20;
}

if (lc.landClassName == "BaseLand")
{
lc.color = new Color(0.16f, 0.185f, 0.15f);
lc.noiseColor = new Color(0.14f, 0.15f, 0.02f);
lc.noiseBlend = 0.2f;
}

if (lc.landClassName == "IceCaps")
{
lc.latitudeRange.endStart = 0.09;
lc.latitudeRange.endEnd = 0.1;
//print("IceCap latitude whatsit: ss-" + lc.latitudeRange.startStart + " se-" + lc.latitudeRange.startEnd + " es-" + lc.latitudeRange.endStart + " ee-" + lc.latitudeRange.endEnd);
}
}
}

...You could do something like this for the config:

@Body[Laythe]
{
@PQS
{
LandControl
{
landClasses
{
Class
{
name = Mud
color = 0.35, 0.25, 0.2, 1
noiseColor = 0.26, 0.27, 0.15, 1
noiseBlend = 0.8
noiseFrequency = 20
}
Class
{
name = BaseLand
color = 0.16, 0.185, 0.15, 1
noiseColor = 0.14, 0.15, 0.02, 1
noiseBlend = 0.2
}
Class
{
name = IceCaps
latitudeRange
{
startStart = -10
startEnd = -10
endStart = 0.09
endEnd = 0.1
}
}
}
}
}
}

You could then just use the old heightmap from the original Alternis Kerbol (the license allows is) and voila, you have Laythe!

I just wrote that config off the top of my head, so it's not guaranteed to work, but it would definitely make laythe look authentic.

Why don't you patch the existing LandControl on laythe, the exact same way that Alternis Kerbol did.

Judging on this bit of code from the original alternis kerbol...

PQSLandControl cb_laythe_lc = cb_laythe.pqsController.gameObject.GetComponentInChildren<PQSLandControl>();
if (cb_laythe_lc != null)
{
print("Found LandControl, spewing land classes...");
foreach (PQSLandControl.LandClass lc in cb_laythe_lc.landClasses)
{
print(lc.landClassName);
print(lc.color);

if (lc.landClassName == "Mud")
{
lc.color = new Color(0.35f, 0.25f, 0.2f);
lc.noiseColor = new Color(0.26f, 0.27f, 0.15f);
lc.noiseBlend = 0.8f;
lc.noiseFrequency = 20;
}

if (lc.landClassName == "BaseLand")
{
lc.color = new Color(0.16f, 0.185f, 0.15f);
lc.noiseColor = new Color(0.14f, 0.15f, 0.02f);
lc.noiseBlend = 0.2f;
}

if (lc.landClassName == "IceCaps")
{
lc.latitudeRange.endStart = 0.09;
lc.latitudeRange.endEnd = 0.1;
//print("IceCap latitude whatsit: ss-" + lc.latitudeRange.startStart + " se-" + lc.latitudeRange.startEnd + " es-" + lc.latitudeRange.endStart + " ee-" + lc.latitudeRange.endEnd);
}
}
}

...You could do something like this for the config:

@Body[Laythe]
{
@PQS
{
LandControl
{
landClasses
{
Class
{
name = Mud
noiseBlend = 0.8
noiseFrequency = 20
}
Class
{
name = BaseLand
noiseBlend = 0.2
}
Class
{
name = IceCaps
latitudeRange
{
startStart = -10
startEnd = -10
endStart = 0.09
endEnd = 0.1
}
}
}
}
}
}

You could then just use the old heightmap from the original Alternis Kerbol (the license allows is) and voila, you have Laythe!

I just wrote that config off the top of my head, so it's not guaranteed to work, but it would definitely make laythe look authentic.

That's great. I'm testing it right away to see if it does work. EDIT: It would seem that Kerbin likes to have some form of earthquakes.

I'm also testing it gameplay wise real quick. I should be able to do hohmann transfers with KSP.olex.biz fairly reliably, because Mun and Kerbin have the same orbits as Vall and Tylo.

EDIT: Oh that was satisfying.

http://i.imgur.com/WOfUy3h.png

- - - Updated - - -

Looking forward to this and the lack of ambient light in space like in the original!

It was easily one of my top 5 favourite mods.

I did this using PlanetShine. It's a shame PlanetShine can't make the sun reddish, as no other mod I know of can.

EDIT2: So this happened. I'm just so glad it actually greenified itself the first time I applied the heightmap. Looks fine from low orbit. It only removes some of the ocean when you go to start landing. Why is it and how can I fix it?

Edited by GregroxMun

Can I see the entire laythe config? I had that same issue with one of my planets.

Also, It is possible to do what alternis kerbol did with the sunlight, in Kopernicus. Just do something like this:

@Body[Sun]
{
%ScaledVersion
{
SolarLightColor
{
ambientLightColor = 0,0,0,1 //<--- this sets the ambient lighting to pitch black.
}
}
}

Edited by MrHappyFace

Can I see the entire laythe config? I had that same issue with one of my planets.

Also, It is possible to do what alternis kerbol did with the sunlight, in Kopernicus. Just do something like this:

@Body[Sun]
{
%ScaledVersion
{
SolarLightColor
{
ambientLightColor = 0,0,0,1 //<--- this sets the ambient lighting to pitch black.
}
}
}

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
@Body[Laythe]
{
@PQS
{
Mods
{
VertexColorMap
{
map = AlternisKerbol/Laythe/Textures/newlaythe_dif.png
enabled = true
}
VertexHeightMap
{
map = AlternisKerbol/Laythe/PluginData/laythe_newheight.png
offset = 5
deformity = 1000
enabled = true
}
}
LandControl
{
landClasses
{
Class
{
name = Mud
noiseBlend = 0.8
noiseFrequency = 20
}
Class
{
name = BaseLand
noiseBlend = 0.2
}
Class
{
name = IceCaps
latitudeRange
{
startStart = -10
startEnd = -10
endStart = 0.09
endEnd = 0.1
}
}
}
}
}
}
}

With this version, it actually does this:

- - - Updated - - -

@Body[Sun]
{
%ScaledVersion
{
SolarLightColor
{
}
}
}

Does it make the sun's actual lighting warm and brighter? Because to be authentic to Alternis it needs to be a slightly yellow/orange color and be brighter, with harsh shadows. There's the harsh shadows there for sure.

Edited by GregroxMun

You don't need that VertexColorMap node, just the LandControl one. You also don't need to specify the offset or deformity in the VertexHeightMap node, as they are provided by the original Laythe. You should also add a line that says enabled = true to the LandControl.

The config should look something like this:

@Body[Laythe]
{
@PQS
{
Mods
{
VertexHeightMap
{
map = AlternisKerbol/Laythe/PluginData/laythe_newheight.png
enabled = true
}
LandControl
{
landClasses
{
//the land classes i specified before
}
enabled = true
}
}
}
}

As for the sun, there are parameters to specify the sunlight color, but I'm unsure if they work. You can try them out though, and see if they work.

@Body[Sun]
{
%ScaledVersion
{
%SolarLightColor
{
sunlightColor = 1, 0.92, 0.85, 1
sunlightIntensity = 0.825
sunlightShadowStrength = 0.95
scaledSunlightColor = 1, 0.92, 0.85, 1
scaledSunlightIntensity = 0.825
IVASunColor = 1, 0.92, 0.85, 1
IVASunIntensity = 0.825
sunLensFlareColor = 1, 0.85, 0.75, 1
ambientLightColor = 0, 0, 0, 1
}
}
}

Alternis Kerbol also replaces the atmosphere gradients to make them warmer. I'm not sure how to do that, but I'll tell you if I figure it out.

FYI, I'm pulling these values from the Alternis source code.

If I recall correctly there's a script that deletes ocean tiles from beneath landforms, based on a heightmap, which you may not have changed? In your case, the sea level seems too high as well.

I ended up fixing that by adding a new ocean and deleting the previous. Unfortunately now there's still some blue hills poking out of the terrain. I can either make the ground peek above the water enough to see the shore line (the sand-yellow bit) or I can not have some blue mountains everywhere.

I ended up fixing that by adding a new ocean and deleting the previous. Unfortunately now there's still some blue hills poking out of the terrain. I can either make the ground peek above the water enough to see the shore line (the sand-yellow bit) or I can not have some blue mountains everywhere.

Make sure the ocean sphere is at the nominal radius of the planet, and that the landcontrol modifier has the correct altitudes for beginning the ocean biomes. Also, there may be a PQSMod in there that simply shifts the terrain up or down, I can't remember.

Make sure the ocean sphere is at the nominal radius of the planet, and that the landcontrol modifier has the correct altitudes for beginning the ocean biomes. Also, there may be a PQSMod in there that simply shifts the terrain up or down, I can't remember.

I have tried shifting the terrain up, the mountaind follow. I have tried deforming the terrain, and the mountains follow to a slightly lesser extent but then the terrain is really steep.

EDIT: So there's this now. Not really that great, but it's cool. There's also comet trails, but they're not finished yet.

qfIcBgY.jpg

Edited by GregroxMun

I'm not sure if you can release solely under the MIT License. As per the original Alternis Kerbol thread, the artwork is CC-BY-NC 4.0. If you want to use a different license things will get complicated. (Personally I think the use of NC licenses for KSP mods is a mistake - do modders truly plan on trying to collect money from major Youtubers and Twitch streamers?)

Thanks, Greg, for this. I'm really hoping you can pull this off. I started playing KSP when .23 was released, and Alternis was the very first mod I tried. I would LOVE to have it available again. I'd offer to help, but I don't know anything about coding or scripting. I look forward to enjoying your work in the (hopefully near) future!

Thanks, Greg, for this. I'm really hoping you can pull this off. I started playing KSP when .23 was released, and Alternis was the very first mod I tried. I would LOVE to have it available again. I'd offer to help, but I don't know anything about coding or scripting. I look forward to enjoying your work in the (hopefully near) future!
I don't know anything about coding or scripting
I don't know anything about coding or scripting

I am not entirely sure I can pull it off. I just hope I will be able to get enough of it working that some other modder can pick it up and finish it. Kopernicus can't give Tylo an atmosphere visuals. It can give it an atmosphere mechanically (heating and drag and lift and all that jazz.) but not visually. And that is unacceptable for a release. Not to mention that the atmosphere isn't even based on SuperTylo's, it's just pulled straight outta kopernicus.

Right now, with the current release on Kerbal Stuff, it is playable and looks okay. But it is not accurate. Needs orbital tweaking, Duna and Laythe new textures, and an atmosphere shader for Tylo. Being able to look at the original source for Alternis would help, but I've no idea how to do that thing.

I really think people are overestimating me. In creative and thinking endeavors I am great. I am crap at doing things in practice.

Edited by GregroxMun

Right now, with the current release on Kerbal Stuff, it is playable and looks okay. But it is not accurate. Needs orbital tweaking, Duna and Laythe new textures, and an atmosphere shader for Tylo. Being able to look at the original source for Alternis would help, but I've no idea how to do that thing.
Would loading up the original Alternis be useful? Then you can probably get orbital figures out, though it might take some hunting around for old versions of mods like KER or Hyperedit.

Would loading up the original Alternis be useful? Then you can probably get orbital figures out, though it might take some hunting around for old versions of mods like KER or Hyperedit.

I'd have to find a compatible version. AKAIK it was only ever compatible with 0.23, I have no remaining 0.23 saves. I might have 0.21 perhaps, and maybe 0.22, but I don't think I have 0.23.

Squad, please let us download old versions of the game.

EDIT: I found my 0.21 game, and it looked like Alternis loaded (its settings menu did anyway) but when I started a game it sorta locked out of control.

EDIT:

:D

It loaded! Woohoo!

EDIT: Wow, the middle child of space centers. Far apart, disconnected buildings, but with the new models.

EDIT: Well it didn't change any planets, just the lighting.

EDIT: Yes! I found an unmarked KSP_win in my backup. Loaded it up. It's 0.23! Woohoo! Got an old copy of EVE and Kethane on it.

Edited by GregroxMun

Alternis Kerbol Orbits (and physical characteristics if changed):

Minmus

inc:0.003

ecc:0

sma:14740300

lan:78

w:38

mEp:0.8999

epoch:0

body:Jool

GeeASL:0.022

Radius:29000

Mun

inc:0.109

ecc:0.002

sma:43152000

lan:180

w:0

mEp:1

Pol

inc:4.25

ecc:0.083

sma:145500000

lan:120

w:15

Bop

inc:0.894

ecc:0.09

sma:200805430

lan:10

w:25

Duna

inc:0.7

ecc:0.05

sma:34598850

lan:135.5

mEp:3.14

body:Tylo

Dres

inc:0.7

ecc:0.002

sma:17580043

lan:280

w:90

body:Tylo

Moho

inc:0.2502

ecc:0.3

sma:4075040399

lan:70

w:15

body:Sun

Gilly

inc:225.05

ecc:0.990504

sma:5808473475

lan:25.3

w:79.08

mEp:4.603

GeeASL:0.003

Radius:9000

Ike

inc:28.45

ecc:0.9585

sma:167988084550

lan:0

mEp:-1

GeeASL:0.007

Radius:18000

Eeloo

inc:1.15

ecc:0.08

sma:90118820000

lan:50

w:260

GeeASL:0.003

Radius:478000

Vall

inc:2.337

ecc:0.011

sma:4995040

body:Eeloo

GeeASL:0.07772

Radius:100000

Jool

inc:1.957

ecc:0.017

sma:13605008470

lan:35

mEp:0.1

Tylo

inc:1.22

ecc:0.03

sma:24708887045

GeeASL:4.035

Radius:1103000

Atmosphere Scale Height: 7000

Atmosphere height: 80000

Atmosphere Pressure: ~0.5 atm

Edited by GregroxMun

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.