Five way Vernor Block

Some of us like launching really big things, this usually leads to the discovery that monoprop RCS thrusters are in no way suited for the job.

This is not to say that there is anything wrong with the monoprop RCS units, they have their purpose, it's just not on a 100 plus ton SSTO.

So, I guess all I'm asking for is a big nasty LFO slurping thruster block

I'd be slightly happier with heavier-duty monoprop thrusters for this rather than LFO Vernors, since my experience dictates that Vernors are meant to control rockets during launch by sipping from their main tanks rather than for use in orbit. That said, no matter the fuel, I would definitely appreciate some high-powered maneuvering thrusters as it'd save a lot of part count and just be better overall.

Of course, the "angled-corner" thruster blocks from MRS are really a must-have too - they're actually the primary reason that I installed MRS in the first place. I have a specific, neurotic horror of placing any parts right in front of a thruster nozzle where they'd surely get damaged from the propellant, especially something like a solar panel or radiator. And just forget placing a thruster on top of a door - abomination! REEEEEEE

Edited by Coyote27

Just need your verner for attitude control while launching right? Then there is an easy solution. Squad configures a reaction wheel with ludicrously high torque and LFO instead of electricity as its resource and labels it a "thruster"

Probably the best you can hope for until they squash that bug that makes it so multi-directional bi-fueled RCS thrusters glitch out and not work.

Why would you really need a 5-way block for control during a gravity turn though? Use 2x symmetry to slap 4 Vernors per side along the bottom (on the east and west sides) in a square or so, and one 4x-symmetry up on the upper stage, that's more than enough in my experience.

4-way and 5-way thruster blocks really shine for what I want them for instead, which is maneuvering in space with a ship that's just too heavy for the teeny little standard thruster blocks. If it needs 24 thrusters to have any hope of being able to dock safely, then there's a problem with TWR here.

That said, why not both?

Why does it have to be a Vernor block? I mean, we've got massive Monopropellant tanks in the Mk3 spaceplane series, but there are no huge Monoprop-gulping RCS blocks that provide a comparatively massive thrust, just the teensy blocks and RCS ports.

The only thing we'd need is a bigger RCS block that is in all other ways the same as the one we already have.

Vernors are broken. They are a lot more efficient than any other RCS engine, while they produce a lot better thrust, not to talk about being much more simpler. Don't say to me anything about its high cost, it has the best thrust-cost ratio. It should be replaced with heavy-duty RCS ones. Also, for spaceplanes, some aerodynamic 5-way RCS units would be nice.

Vernors are broken. They are a lot more efficient than any other RCS engine, while they produce a lot better thrust, not to talk about being much more simpler. Don't say to me anything about its high cost, it has the best thrust-cost ratio. It should be replaced with heavy-duty RCS ones. Also, for spaceplanes, some aerodynamic 5-way RCS units would be nice.

Vernors are "better" because they are highest on tech tree, d'uh.

Also I guess it does not surprise you that all LFO engines are "better" than monoprop ones? With monoprop you trading density/size for effectiveness/price.

And RCS blocks are just engines with specialized control, nothing more, that's why no surprise LFO RCS is more efficient than monoprop RCS.

Why would you really need a 5-way block for control during a gravity turn though? Use 2x symmetry to slap 4 Vernors per side along the bottom (on the east and west sides) in a square or so, and one 4x-symmetry up on the upper stage, that's more than enough in my experience.

4-way and 5-way thruster blocks really shine for what I want them for instead, which is maneuvering in space with a ship that's just too heavy for the teeny little standard thruster blocks. If it needs 24 thrusters to have any hope of being able to dock safely, then there's a problem with TWR here.

That said, why not both?

Because some people build other things than rockets.

Huge interplanetary cruisers for example.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.