Exploding Docking Port

The attached save is an example of where a docking port (fastidiously supported with more struts than I can count) suddenly explodes when detaching a stage at the other end of the craft whilst in orbit.

It also happens a lot right after time acceleration, for no reason. Simply floating in orbit and time accelerating will cause it. The only Mod I have is latest version of mechjeb.

Quicksave:

https://app.box.com/s/1ziok43i7dqmrpdabmamhni6ksodlbtc

Ship File:

https://app.box.com/s/hnrdipnzqwqqf484yoejstvn1t5niu2n

NvKIJGQ.png

Edited by Vanamonde

The struts on the docking port may cause some explosive clipping.

If you can reproduce the issue, press F3 afterwards to get and tell us what destroyed the docking port, it might help solving your issue.

Overheating. Its non-sensical. Play the ship, you will see for yourself. If I quit an re-load the game, it delays it for maybe one or two time accelerations, but even half way to Jool, while simply dropping out of acceleration, it explodes due to "overheating"

Edit: As a side note, the struts are not mounted on the docking port, they are on the structural adapter that its mounted on, about 8 of them. Add more if you like, no difference, take them away, and it simply wont hold together.

- - - Updated - - -

DWfvsPV.jpg

NUQid18.jpg

Edited by Rysq

Sudden overheating of parts, and their subsequent explosion, is a known bug that can happen when parts are clipped. Though it usually occurs when service bays are involved, and your craft doesn't seem to have clipped parts (at least the docking ports seem fine).

Greater time warps (>100 I think) disable thermal simulation, and it is re-enabled when exiting warp. There also have been reports of overheatings of some parts in this situation.

Also, sudden/random overheat of the craft can occur, but that is usually the whole ship overheating, and exploding, not just one part.

Anyway, I see two options here: either you redesign your craft and hope that the issue will not be present with another ship, or you can download Claw's Stock Bug Fix Modules which includes a WIP fix for overheating problems:

+ OverheatFix (Experimental) (1 Sep 15) - (STATUS: Updated Experimental Release) - Description: Some parts (especially cubic and octagonal struts) overheat and explode, often associated with time warp. [spoiler: Notes]

- Prevents feedback looping overheat for smaller parts.

It is not 100% guaranteed to solve your problem, but it might help.

Overheating. Its non-sensical. Play the ship, you will see for yourself. If I quit an re-load the game, it delays it for maybe one or two time accelerations, but even half way to Jool, while simply dropping out of acceleration, it explodes due to "overheating"

Edit: As a side note, the struts are not mounted on the docking port, they are on the structural adapter that its mounted on, about 8 of them. Add more if you like, no difference, take them away, and it simply wont hold together.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i.imgur.com/DWfvsPV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NUQid18.jpg

Struts on these structural cubes are KAS ones, that i wanted to reenforce my docking with. They are marked 1 on the picture:

0xZohFi.jpg

The struts 2 are fine, they are not using those structural cubes. But once I connect the struts 1 in EVA, the docking port explodes, sending me and the 2 ships flying in different directions... I still don't know why this happens, but maybe it has something to do with those structural.

I'll post video if I find it.

Edited by tbarcello

That definitely has to do with the cube struts which are known to cause issues on time warp.

As an alternative to the Docking Port Sr., for those cases I use a set of flat 2,5m-1,25m adapters with a regular docking port, and attach the strut end points on the adapter plate in 4-way symmetry. Easy to attach when on EVA and rock solid.

Thanks for the help Gaarst and Stoney. I'm not sure about cubed struts being the culprit, I have used them in so many designs, but never seen this before.

Definitely appears to be a problem with Docking Port, I re-designed with Docking port Sr and had no troubles.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.