[1.0.4] Arkas 0.2.1 - A Thick Atmosphere on a Desert World - 17 Unique Biomes - Cloud Support Added!

CoriW

Great news, let me know as soon as you have a download ready and I'll release the next version of Arkas with clouds in the download. :)

It's up! I've posted a download link. (But judging by the post above this, I think you already know)

Say, could I please get your opinion on the clouds? It's your mod, after all, so if there's anything you'd like to see changed, I'm all ears.

EDIT: not litterally of course!:sticktongue:

It's up! I've posted a download link. (But judging by the post above this, I think you already know)

Say, could I please get your opinion on the clouds? It's your mod, after all, so if there's anything you'd like to see changed, I'm all ears.

EDIT: not litterally of course!:sticktongue:

So embarrasingly I haven't viewed your clouds in-game until just after releasing the update, as I was sort of going off the screenshots. Just tried them in-game for the first time and I must say they're fantastic, there is only 1 thing I would ask about modifying... The sand storms almost seem too dark, like black dark. I would think that they'd be more of a sand color. If it helps any the sand color I've been basing Arkas from is HEX #C2B280 / RGB 194, 178, 128

Also on a side note about the update, while I was checking out your clouds I realized something that I have to fix. So originally the night side of Arkas was too bright, so I made the ambient color darker in order to make night time darker, however that also darkened the day side of the planet as well so I had to up the contrast of the surface to make the day side brighter. What I didn't realize though is that by upping the contrast it also made the night side brighter which basically nullified the decrease in ambient color. So in other words my fix caused an issue which I had to fix which pretty much left it worse off overall, which means the better idea may just to be to accept the fact that I can't fix the night side being too bright without making the day side too dark.

So embarrasingly I haven't viewed your clouds in-game until just after releasing the update, as I was sort of going off the screenshots. Just tried them in-game for the first time and I must say they're fantastic, there is only 1 thing I would ask about modifying... The sand storms almost seem too dark, like black dark. I would think that they'd be more of a sand color. If it helps any the sand color I've been basing Arkas from is HEX #C2B280 / RGB 194, 178, 128

Also on a side note about the update, while I was checking out your clouds I realized something that I have to fix. So originally the night side of Arkas was too bright, so I made the ambient color darker in order to make night time darker, however that also darkened the day side of the planet as well so I had to up the contrast of the surface to make the day side brighter. What I didn't realize though is that by upping the contrast it also made the night side brighter which basically nullified the decrease in ambient color. So in other words my fix caused an issue which I had to fix which pretty much left it worse off overall, which means the better idea may just to be to accept the fact that I can't fix the night side being too bright without making the day side too dark.

Yes, I am aware that the sand storms are a bit too dark. However, I have no idea what's causing this issue. Once I find out what's going on, I'll send you a download link of [version 1.2] through a private message.

Oh, and thanks for those RGB values, those are exactly what I need.

- - - Updated - - -

I just had an amazing idea. I think I know a possible solution to the issue with the night side being too bright...

New Version 0.2.1 is available for download. This is a hotfix that fixes the night side still being too bright despite the supposed "fix" that came with Version 0.2. Night time is now the correct brightness.

KSP 1.0.4 | 0.2.1

• Fixed Problem with Ambient Lighting Fix

Yes, I am aware that the sand storms are a bit too dark. However, I have no idea what's causing this issue. Once I find out what's going on, I'll send you a download link of [version 1.2] through a private message.

Oh, and thanks for those RGB values, those are exactly what I need.

- - - Updated - - -

I just had an amazing idea. I think I know a possible solution to the issue with the night side being too bright...

Your welcome for those numbers. :) As for the night side being too bright I just fixed that with a hotfix, the only thing now is that I feel the day side is slightly too dark. It's actually very interesting because if you go to the lowlands on Arkas the day time is very bright, but the average terrain altitude seems to be around 1500 - 2000m and it's not as bright at those altitudes for some reason.

New Version 0.2.1 is available for download. This is a hotfix that fixes the night side still being too bright despite the supposed "fix" that came with Version 0.2. Night time is now the correct brightness.

KSP 1.0.4 | 0.2.1

• Fixed Problem with Ambient Lighting Fix

Your welcome for those numbers. :) As for the night side being too bright I just fixed that with a hotfix, the only thing now is that I feel the day side is slightly too dark. It's actually very interesting because if you go to the lowlands on Arkas the day time is very bright, but the average terrain altitude seems to be around 1500 - 2000m and it's not as bright at those altitudes for some reason.

Great to hear it's fixed already. If it wasn't, here's what I'd have said (Quoted for fun):

Well, on a planet it shouldn't be possible to see a thing at night. Unless you're standing on a planet with a moon. Yes, I am actually proposing to make a moon for Arkas...

Great to hear it's fixed already. If it wasn't, here's what I'd have said (Quoted for fun):
Well, on a planet it shouldn't be possible to see a thing at night. Unless you're standing on a planet with a moon. Yes, I am actually proposing to make a moon for Arkas...

Whoa whoa whoa slow down, I have to finish the planet before I can start on a moon! :sticktongue: (Not implying there will be a moon but who knows)

On a side note I can't help but notice even after I released Version 0.2.1 how many people are still downloading Version 0.2... Why. :huh:

EDIT: Then again I also just noticed that the stats page doesn't seem to show version 0.2.1... Well that's strange. (I also checked the download and it is indeed version 0.2.1)

EDIT: So apparently the stats updated now to show the latest version, I wouldn't be surprised if the downloads between 0.2.1 and now were put into the 0.2 stats because the stats hadn't refreshed to show 0.2.1 yet.

Edited by CoriW

Whoa whoa whoa slow down, I have to finish the planet before I can start on a moon! :sticktongue: (Not implying there will be a moon but who knows)

On a side note I can't help but notice even after I released Version 0.2.1 how many people are still downloading Version 0.2... Why. :huh:

EDIT: Then again I also just noticed that the stats page doesn't seem to show version 0.2.1... Well that's strange. (I also checked the download and it is indeed version 0.2.1)

EDIT: So apparently the stats updated now to show the latest version, I wouldn't be surprised if the downloads between 0.2.1 and now were put into the 0.2 stats because the stats hadn't refreshed to show 0.2.1 yet.

...I actually meant that I would start to work on a possible moon or moons. (who knows)

...I actually meant that I would start to work on a possible moon or moons. (who knows)

OH! Well that flew right over my head then, wasn't expecting that at all. But yeah if you want to make a moon for Arkas I don't see why not, maybe I can pitch in a few idea's for it.

I'm all ears! :D

Well I suppose the first step would be to figure out whether the moon should be a tiny moon like Gilly, mid-size moon similar to Ike, or massive moon like Vall. I'm not entirely sure what would best suit Arkas, though now that I'm thinking about it could you imagine a moon that was say 300,000m radius? Arkas is 425,000m radius so at that point it'd be less of a moon and more of a binary planet which would actually be very cool if used with the Sigma Binary mod, I mean could you imagine the barycenter of that system? That would be amazing.

May i suggest a few moon ideas? If you're going to do a big moon maybe a moon like Io?

Io_highest_resolution_true_color.jpg

Or if its going to be a small moon im not sure >_> And btw feel free to use those screenshots

I would love a moon like titan tho :3

Edited by DaZeInBok

May i suggest a few moon ideas? If you're going to do a big moon maybe a moon like Io?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/Io_highest_resolution_true_color.jpg

Or if its going to be a small moon im not sure >_> And btw feel free to use those screenshots

I would love a moon like titan tho :3

Io's differing landscape would be pretty hard to make, but I could work in that direction and give the moon a brown-orange color, like the surface used to be molten lava. As for the moon's size, I'm still not sure about that one. I think something between Ike and Duna. Can't make it too big though, that would make it a binary system.

Io's differing landscape would be pretty hard to make, but I could work in that direction and give the moon a brown-orange color, like the surface used to be molten lava. As for the moon's size, I'm still not sure about that one. I think something between Ike and Duna. Can't make it too big though, that would make it a binary system.

Well, conveniently the radius exactly between Ike and Duna is 225,000m which is a nice even number. I do like the idea of a surface that used to be molten lava as it would make sense seeing as how Arkas is volcanically active as well as the proximity to the sun. Maybe a very rugged terrain sort of like the image I've linked below, minus the actual lava of course. Well I mean unless you wanted to figure out a way to do lava lakes, because I've seen another mod that does that. (Can't remember which one)

lavachan.jpg

Well, conveniently the radius exactly between Ike and Duna is 225,000m which is a nice even number. I do like the idea of a surface that used to be molten lava as it would make sense seeing as how Arkas is volcanically active as well as the proximity to the sun. Maybe a very rugged terrain sort of like the image I've linked below, minus the actual lava of course. Well I mean unless you wanted to figure out a way to do lava lakes, because I've seen another mod that does that. (Can't remember which one)

http://solarviews.com/raw/volc/lavachan.jpg

A mod that added lava lakes? That sounds like Kerbol+, there's a big update in development that adds a moon with oceans of lava.

That volcanic terrain looks a bit like what I had in mind. I thought of a mix between Io, Arkas and Mars.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad i could help :)

Thank you for your good ideas. If you have another idea, please let me know, I'm all ears. :cool:

A mod that added lava lakes? That sounds like Kerbol+, there's a big update in development that adds a moon with oceans of lava.

That volcanic terrain looks a bit like what I had in mind. I thought of a mix between Io, Arkas and Mars.

A mix between Io, Arkas, and Mars? That sounds awesome.

Wow I missed a bunch. Excited about the prospects of a moon (however I am mildly worried about its possible orbit because I have various satellites to worry about).

Anyway, I am well aware of the fix you made Guardian (and I'll be downloading it after this post) but I just want to show the interesting side effects of my fix that involved copying Avg's Cloud Pack's 'detail' texture.

CDNlSvR.pngew5cfEs.png

Also if anyone has an idea on how to do those spoiler things that'd be awesome.

EDIT: That is what I assume the color of the dust storms should be.

Wow I missed a bunch. Excited about the prospects of a moon (however I am mildly worried about its possible orbit because I have various satellites to worry about).

Anyway, I am well aware of the fix you made Guardian (and I'll be downloading it after this post) but I just want to show the interesting side effects of my fix that involved copying Avg's Cloud Pack's 'detail' texture.

http://i.imgur.com/CDNlSvR.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/ew5cfEs.png

Also if anyone has an idea on how to do those spoiler things that'd be awesome.

EDIT: That is what I assume the color of the dust storms should be.

Yes, the dust storms were supposed to be that color, though various Kerbals have also encountered storms of black dust... perhaps there is still an error in the configs. If I may ask, what config were you using?

And about the moon, I'll tell y'all what it's orbit is once I've created it. I wont place it that close, 'cause I don't think anyone is interested in 'another Ike'. I am also thinking of a small moonlet, a tiny captured asteroid in orbit of Arkas or a sub-sattelite of the moon.

About the moon, I've got a basic idea of what it's going to look like. It'll be brown/red(-ish) in color with lowlands, plateus, hills, and perhaps even a few mountains and dead volcanoes. I'm not sure about the atmosphere though.

And yes, it is possible to make a lava ocean. Just create an atmosphere that gets incredibly thick just above the lava ocean (and I mean that it suddenly gets as thick as Jupiter's lower atmosphere), which would mean that even something moving at 1m/s would overheat and explode instantly.

I was using the medium cover config. I made no changes to it, I only went poking around to find what was missing. However since at the time of those images, the 'detail1' texture was a copy of the 'detail' texture in Avera9eJoe's cloud pack (which I use because astronomer's pack is vicious to my RAM).

I was using the medium cover config. I made no changes to it, I only went poking around to find what was missing. However since at the time of those images, the 'detail1' texture was a copy of the 'detail' texture in Avera9eJoe's cloud pack (which I use because astronomer's pack is vicious to my RAM).

I see. I'll take a look at the medium config then, thank you.

Also, big news! I've created a basic moon for Arkas. I have yet to make the ScienceDefs, but other than that, it works fine. I already landed on it and it looks pretty good.

So far the moon is called 'Larr' (four random letters), but if anyone has a nice idea for a name, I'm all ears.

Finally got around to testing the updated clouds, and I think I prefer my version since it isn't the mysterious black clouds.

As for moon names, how do Rokar and Vin sound?

I still haven't got time to fix those. I'm currently working overtime on projects for both KSP and DeviantArt, some of them having their deadline tomorrow.

Rokar and Vin sound nice, I'll add those to the list of possible names.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.