[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

9 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I think I know why you're not seeing water on Minmus: The Community Resource Pack doesn't specify any resource distributions for it! Since that isn't touched by CRP, I can add a patch for that and it will be available in the next release of Pathfinder.

That said, it doesn't specify that Minmus doesn't have water either - so it's up to random chance.

@AdmiralTigerclaw, you have some good points, but this really isn't the place to me making them - make them in the CRP thread instead.  I don't know if making a resource slope-dependent is possible (without a plugin) under KSP, but making it biome-dependent is, so they may be able to implement some of your suggestions.  (Submitting patches to implement them would likely get them implemented even faster...)

Pathfinder 0.9.26 is now available.

Get the latest here.

- Recompiled for KSP 1.1.3

TAC-LS
- Increased the Prairie's crop yield of Food to 125. Remember, a skilled scientist can reduce growth time by up to half, and increase crop yield up to double.
- Added a carbon extractor to the Ponderosa (scrubs CarbonDioxide to produce Oxygen and Waste).

Hacienda
- Added the Nukeworks template. It can process Uraninite into EnrichedUranium, and reprocess DepletedUranium into EnrichedUranium.

Other
- Updated support for OSE Workshop.
- Inflatable modules now list their inflated crew capacity in the part summary panel.
- Refactored the Operations Manager windows to make it easier to select a module configuration and to control the module.
- Parts now show all the templates that they have; if you haven't researched a tech node that a template requires, then it will be grayed out.
- Added official support for Kerbalism.
- Added resource patches to find Water on Minmus (specifically, all the flats).

Bug Fixes
- Fixed an issue where inflatable modules would show their inflate button in the VAB/SPH when they shouldn't be.
- Added the drill switcher window to the Gold Digger.

Edited by Angel-125

2 hours ago, AndrewHere said:

Very fast with the 1.1.3 updates, good job :D 

Thanks! :) I also got some more done. Below is the new Local Operations Manager, accessible through the Pathfinder Settings window (Flight Mode):

A6nE30N.png

If you look carefully, you'll see that the base in the foreground does not have a geology lab or geothermal plant, but both configuration tabs are available. That's because the "Untitled Spacecraft" at the launch pad 1.8km away has them! You can control all vessels that are within physics range from the LOM as long as they have an operations interface in one of their part modules. Even DSEV's fusion reactors and radiators will have this ability. It's a step up from before, that's for sure. More work to do for the next release but it's definitely getting there. :)

58 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Thanks! :) I also got some more done. Below is the new Local Operations Manager, accessible through the Pathfinder Settings window (Flight Mode):

A6nE30N.png

If you look carefully, you'll see that the base in the foreground does not have a geology lab or geothermal plant, but both configuration tabs are available. That's because the "Untitled Spacecraft" at the launch pad 1.8km away has them! You can control all vessels that are within physics range from the LOM as long as they have an operations interface in one of their part modules. Even DSEV's fusion reactors and radiators will have this ability. It's a step up from before, that's for sure. More work to do for the next release but it's definitely getting there. :)

Definitely my next planetary base :o I cant wait for my finals to be done already 

Nice work, I really like the new UI.  It makes configuring a breeze.  I just tried a new Mun Base to meet a contract and came across some issues;

Even though I had three Casa's (2 Habs and 1 Geo Lab) and a Doc, I couldn't meet the five Kerbal requirement for my station.  I also tried to use the Geo Lab for the Science portion of the contract, but it didn't like that either.  Lastly, I first tried to include a Greenhouse (i.e. Chuckwagon POTATO) but there were such tremendous torque issues that I couldn't even land...

I am not too worried about the POTATO, I may have had a setting or two off.  Not being able to complete a simple base contract is a bit frustrating.

Keep up the great work!  I love this mod!

12 hours ago, DiceCaller said:

Nice work, I really like the new UI.  It makes configuring a breeze.  I just tried a new Mun Base to meet a contract and came across some issues;

Even though I had three Casa's (2 Habs and 1 Geo Lab) and a Doc, I couldn't meet the five Kerbal requirement for my station.  I also tried to use the Geo Lab for the Science portion of the contract, but it didn't like that either.  Lastly, I first tried to include a Greenhouse (i.e. Chuckwagon POTATO) but there were such tremendous torque issues that I couldn't even land...

I am not too worried about the POTATO, I may have had a setting or two off.  Not being able to complete a simple base contract is a bit frustrating.

Keep up the great work!  I love this mod!

While Squad said @RoverDude added some kind of hooks for inflatable modules, I've yet to discover what they are (possibly the ability to spawn/despawn the IVA), and found that the game doesn't handle inflatable crew modules very well, and I've had to create some hacks to get around that. If I give the parts crew capacity, they'll get picked up by the contracts, but then you get "clown car" in the VAB/SPH where you can fill the seats even though the part is deflated. If there's a way to prevent the crew seats from being filled while deflated, it's definitely not intuitive. By not having crew seats to start, I can avoid the "clown car" issue, but have to do some hacks to get KIS to add seat inventories, I have to manually spawn/depawn the IVA, and contracts don't recognize the inflatable parts as counting towards a base. I haven't really touched contracts yet so I don't know if I can edit a contract to recognize inflated modules, but it's something I can look into.

Edited by Angel-125

Angel-125 have you requested that your mods be deindexed from ckan.. Your mod upgrade is not being listed. And that is the answer I received from passerby in the ckan forum.  If this is so please let me know. I have no problem doing manual installs, but prefer to have ckan do it ( yes I am lazy that way):D

7 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

@Angel-125 - the hook was more to do with re-enabling the crew transfer dialog when we change crew capacities without a lot of hackiness :)

Much appreciated. :) That I'm sure would've been a huge nightmare for me to figure out. I'll have to ask @Arsonide about base building contracts and how I can get inflatable modules without crew capacity until inflated to be counted. Better yet, if Squad added an inflatable/expandable module akin to BEAM in KSP 1.2 that didn't have crew capacity until inflated/expanded and still counted towards contracts, that would pave the way for us modders. :)

21 minutes ago, Rafael acevedo said:

Angel-125 have you requested that your mods be deindexed from ckan.. Your mod upgrade is not being listed. And that is the answer I received from passerby in the ckan forum.  If this is so please let me know. I have no problem doing manual installs, but prefer to have ckan do it ( yes I am lazy that way):D

I can try, but I don't really have control over my CKAN listing. I've tried updating the listing in the past, only to find CKAN deciding to use an outdated version of a mod or dependency. It's pretty frustrating and a main reason I decided awhile ago to not support CKAN installs. I get what they're trying to do, but the implementation leaves little to be desired. I'm almost tempted to make a Wild Blue Mod Installer to complement AVC, but really, copy and paste works rather well when you pay attention. :)

31 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Much appreciated. :) That I'm sure would've been a huge nightmare for me to figure out. I'll have to ask @Arsonide about base building contracts and how I can get inflatable modules without crew capacity until inflated to be counted. Better yet, if Squad added an inflatable/expandable module akin to BEAM in KSP 1.2 that didn't have crew capacity until inflated/expanded and still counted towards contracts, that would pave the way for us modders. :)

I can try, but I don't really have control over my CKAN listing. I've tried updating the listing in the past, only to find CKAN deciding to use an outdated version of a mod or dependency. It's pretty frustrating and a main reason I decided awhile ago to not support CKAN installs. I get what they're trying to do, but the implementation leaves little to be desired. I'm almost tempted to make a Wild Blue Mod Installer to complement AVC, but really, copy and paste works rather well when you pay attention. :)

Thx

I'm no IP legal expert-I'll have to talk to my cousin for that, but it looks like to de-list Pathfinder I'll have to be more restrictive on my licensing. My understanding is that I can change the licensing, but previous versions are protected because, if I read things right, you can't retroactively revoke the CC-BY-NC-SA license. That would mean CKAN users would be stuck with whatever version was last made available, and whatever version CKAN decided was the latest (which apparently can change).

I suppose that a restrictive license would work for future versions, but I'll also still get stuck with support requests when users get a botched CKAN install. Given how CKAN tends to suddenly decide what versions to show seemingly at random- somebody had an issue where CKAN reverted WildBlueTools for some reason- I decided to not provide any support for CKAN installs awhile ago. If you have an issue and didn't manually install the mod, you're on your own. I'll have to update the OP to reflect that.

53 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Not sure if you've seen this but @Shadowmage came up with a solution for this very problem.

Thanks. :) That unfortunately doesn't work in my case- the mod swaps out parts that are on a blacklist, but in my case, there are no crew slots because in the VAB/SPH, the inflatables have no crew capacity. Somehow the base building contract in progress has to be modified to recognize that an inflatable part that gains crew capacity after launch counts towards the contract. Otherwise I have to go back to the "clown car" version, and let you staff deflated modules with crew. I am hoping that @Arsonide or another Squad staff can shed some light on how to modify that contract. :)

Good luck!

I personally never launch (from KSC) with crew in anything but real pod with some sort of escape functionality. so I wouldn't attempt to a clown car launch (although sometimes stowaways manage to sneak in).

Maybe you should take the position that you can't be responsible for the safety of stowaways!

This is more for MOLE than Pathfinder, but the Homestead does have a Rockhound template.

zv6jnBX.png

I basically needed so solve three problems: 1) I want Slag as a component to making Konkrete, the resource needed to 3D print those end-game modules. 2) I wanted to maximize the use of an asteroid. 3) The current Rockhound converter (and now that I think about it, the Prospector in the geology lab) can produce RareMetals and ExoticMinerals from Dirt, in a biome/asteroid that doesn't have RareMetals and/or ExoticMinerals, and it didn't make sense. Now I have a way around that. :)

Edited by Angel-125

Pathfinder 0.9.27

Get the latest here!

This release brings Pathfinder closer to its 1.0 release. It introduces the new Local Operations Manager, a screen that lets you control the functionality of all vessels within physics range. It also makes some tweaks to the life support systems, and offers a new way to process resources in order to fix an issue where you could produce RareMetals and ExoticMinerals in biomes/asteroids that didn't have RareMetals and ExoticMinerals. This new method also gives a way to squeeze more resources out of asteroids, and provides a key component to the future making of Konkrete.

Local Operations Manager
- Added the Local Operations Manager (LOM) to the Pathfinder window. You can access it in the Flight app toolbar (the covered wagon icon). With the LOM, you can control the operations of various parts on every vessel within physics range. You can control the functionality of: configurations, converters, lights, cooling towers, drills (including stock drills), and more!

Life Support
- Dirt is no longer a requirement for the greenhouse. Instead, it depends upon your life support mod: TAC-LS, Snacks, Kerbalism (100 Fertilizer); USI-LS (100 Mulch)
- Removed Cultivator since Dirt is no longer required.
- For TAC-LS, moved the Carbon Extractor from the Ponderosa to the Pigpen.

Resources
- Added the Slag resource and associated storage template.
- Added the Konkrete resource and associated storage template.

Geology Lab
- The Prospector can now process Ore into resources found in the current biome. Most of what it produces is Slag.

Homestead
- The Rockhound can now process Rock and/or Ore into resources found in the designated asteroid attached to the vessel. Most of what it produces is Slag.

4 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Well, there goes my attempt at a stock only playthrough of 1.1.3... Why do you have to make this stuff so cool?

I keep trying.. :) Right now I'm poking around to figure out how to 3D print parts- actually, figure out how to spawn parts during flight. My goal for the next release of Pathfinder (currently working on it) is to complete the Doc IVA, and do some more experimentation on part "printing" :)

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

So um, I can "print" parts:

@IgorZ was kind enough to point me in the right direction to using KIS. This is the first step on the road to printing habitats. As I learn more about using KIS, I'll be able to slowly refine the process.

:)

Congrats!

Btw, if you call methods from KIS library directly (i.e. not via reflection) then you're affected by this bug. In nutshell, your mod will break on every new version of KIS :( I still hope the developers will fix it. The backup plan requires a significant refactoring of KIS.

50 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Congrats!

Btw, if you call methods from KIS library directly (i.e. not via reflection) then you're affected by this bug. In nutshell, your mod will break on every new version of KIS :( I still hope the developers will fix it. The backup plan requires a significant refactoring of KIS.

Thanks! Oh yes, version dependency is a classic problem, fortunately one I'm definitively familiar with. During development I link to KIS directly, but as I get closer to the final version I'll switch over to using reflection. I already have some KIS reflection, so it won't be too difficult. Thanks again for your help! :)

@IgorZ My initial attempts to create a part and couple it to another part have been met with some rather amusing results:

LXF9cn7.png

I can successfully create and automatically couple the part like so:

Spoiler

[KSPEvent(guiActive = true, guiName = "Print Part")]
        public void PrintPart()
        {
            Debug.Log("FRED PrintPart called");
            Quaternion rot = this.part.transform.rotation;
            Vector3 pos = this.part.transform.position + new Vector3(0, 7, 0);

this.availablePart = PartLoader.getPartInfoByName(this.part.partInfo.name);
            prefabConfig = KIS_Shared.PartSnapshot(availablePart.partPrefab);

createdPart = KIS_Shared.CreatePart(prefabConfig, pos, rot, this.part);
            if (createdPart != null)
                Debug.Log("FRED got a createdPart");
            else
                Debug.Log("FRED no createdPart!");
        }

[KSPEvent(guiActive = true, guiName = "Add Expansion")]
        public void PrintExpansion()
        {
            Debug.Log("FRED PrintExpansion called");
            Quaternion rot = createdPart .transform.rotation;
            Vector3 pos = createdPart.transform.position + new Vector3(0, 5, 0);

this.availablePart = PartLoader.getPartInfoByName(createdPart.partInfo.name);
            prefabConfig = KIS_Shared.PartSnapshot(availablePart.partPrefab);
            Debug.Log("FRED prefab config obtained");

KIS_Shared.CreatePart(prefabConfig, pos, rot, createdPart, createdPart, "front", createdPart.attachNodes[0]);
        }

This is of course experimental test code. Anyway, the expansion part is created and attached to the "createdPart" but I think the location is off. Not sure how KIS figured out how to attach a part to a stack node with the correct distance between them. If I can figure that out, then that's a significant piece of the puzzle. :)

Edited by Angel-125