Modding Step by Step?

dclarion

I suppose that this has been asked a billion (as in 10 to the power 12) times already, but is there a single reference that details modding for KSP for one who has not yet done anything like it? I'm currently running KSP-1.0.4 under Ubuntu 14.04/Mono (which took some work to set up), I'm a very well grounded C programmer, have done some small work in C++, have never touched C♯. My initial focus would be making small changes to behaviours of stock parts, to get an idea of what's going on under the hood of KSP, then on to loftier goals. I've looked at some of the sticky threads here, and it seems like everything is thrown at you willy-nilly; I'd like something a bit more structured, if possible.

All you need to know in order to get started is seriously right --> here

Other than that, try to get familiar with Unity and Blender/3RD/Maya/etc, because you will be using these programs if you are wanting to do parts mods.

Hope this helps you get started :)

Edited by liquidhype

liquidhype: I was looking at that, and that was what prompted my "so much all at once" comment. I'll try to keep digging to see whether I can find something more structured.

- - - Updated - - -

Freethinker: I'd like to do that. I'm curious: Is it possible to "override" an existing part by placing a part with the same name in a mod? I've got some ideas on how to try to make the LES useful.

No, that would not work well (it would cause one of the part not beeing loaded or none at all). What would work first make the part you try to replace, unavialable (by setting requiretedtech and type at none) and introduce a new part with a different (unique) partname but with the same title name.

Edited by FreeThinker

No, that would not work well (it would cause one of the part not beeing loaded or none at all). What would work first make the part you try to replace, unavialable (by setting requiretedtech and type at none) and introduce a new part with a different (unique) partname but with the same title name.

Very good, then. I was hoping that the KSP developers had had the foresight to use a directory precedence in the search for parts, resources, etc. such that all subdirectories except 'Squad' are searched, then 'Squad' is searched, ignoring any name collisions. Oh, well.

So, if I need to make a part unavailable by editing its cfg file, might that not tend to make game users unwilling to use the mod, since they would have to do actual work -- make a backup of the cfg, edit the original, drop in the mod, then if they wanted to remove the mod, restore the backed-up cfg? Or does CKAN provide for post-install and post-remove scripts?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.