Sector 7 Space Laboratories Dropship Division - Air Trooper 12

Castille7

Air Trooper 12

This craft is a Rear Loading and Off Loading Dropship Personnel Carrier with 2 Crew Members, 10 Passengers, on two decks, light on fuel but fun to operate. MK1 Modules are provided for those who would like to transport crews around the KCS.

Note: Use at least one pilot to control the craft the remote control will not give correct control, most all of our Dropships and VTOL crafts are designed this way.

Flight Operations:

Engage RCS and SAS, throttle up to full then press spacebar for the Lift Engines to engage and a second time for the Port & Starboard Engines to engage after leaving ground level.

Landing instructions are in the Video if needed.

Flight Controls

1-Lift Engines

2-Port & Starboard Engines

3-Vertical Landing Lights

4-Ladders

5-Head Lights

Craft File

Air Trooper 12

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by castille7

Hello mate,

She looks great, I will have a play with this later and report back.

Sounds great thanks again Majorjim!

Also I noticed the loading ramp was hanging up on the craft, I adjusted it and reloaded the craft file, if its still not working engage lift engines and the Port & Starboard Engines on the Wings and she will takeoff fine.

Edited by castille7

Sounds great thanks again Majorjim!

Also I noticed the loading ramp was hanging up on the craft, I adjusted it and reloaded the craft file, if its still not working engage lift engines and the Port & Starboard Engines on the Wings and she will takeoff fine.

Ok test complete. I love the look of it, she has a kind of comic book coolness about it, cute but cool if that makes sense. I like the custom landing legs too, they have a satisfying 'spring' to them. Feels really real, like it has weight.

Yes she sometimes became hooked up on the ramp but a simple adjustment will cure that. I found a few other issues too. The top wing sections need two more struts to hold them still in flight.

Also there is no yaw control at all. I see why you used the RCS verniers to add control authority but I think you would be better off balancing it a bit better and using some reaction wheels. That way you wont have to carry any very dense RCS fuel tanks. And you can carry more fuel in place of the RCS. It ran out of fuel in 1:30s. It may be me but I couldn't get her to fly on just the forward flight engines. Is that intentional?

Apart from that it's awesome! I saw a lot of cubic struts in there. There is a mod that removes the offset limits. This effectively kills off the reliance on the cubic strut and massively reduces part counts. Find it here

Great job on this mate! It deserves more attention.

MJ

I definitely appreciate the run through and all the tips, I will find where to steady the wings. Flying with only the forward thrust was not doing well for me, I considered trying the whiplash but didn't try that yet. I will tweak it and get back to you when I have a chance. Thanks again!

Edited by castille7

Soon repped!

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like that 'Saints row: The third' vtol dropship :D

http://gamesskull.weebly.com/uploads/1/5/1/4/15149972/1386251_orig.jpg

This is the inspirational Craft that I Copied, they have some really cool crafts! I often find crafts doing google image searches and pick the ones I like and do my best to create them and make them fly on KSP!

Edited by castille7

I definitely appreciate the run through and all the tips, I will find where to steady the wings. Flying with only the forward thrust was not doing well for me, I considered trying the whiplash but didn't try that yet. I will tweak it and get back to you when I have a chance. Thanks again!

My pleasure mate. It was a lot of fun to test! I am super impressed you landed it on the VAB with no yaw control!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

This is the inspirational Craft that I Copied, they have some really cool crafts! I often find crafts doing google image searches and pick the ones I like and do my best to create them and make them fly on KSP!

HA! Awesome.

I noticed without using a pilot the downward thrust is not available when using the K key, when you give the pilot control from the Command Seat it gives you all downward thrusters with the K key making it much easier to control a landing.

After the tweaks the craft is handling much better, I've added struts to strengthen the Wings, Reaction Wheels, Tailfins that were missing, swapped out the J-33's on the Wings with the Whiplash plus added two more Engines, Added MK1 Modules close to the cab for quicker loading of the pilots. The bombs double as extra fuel tanks for longer flight time. After these changes were made I needed a new name and decided on Air Trooper MJ-X1, (MajorJim-Extreme One). It's nearly a stunt craft now doing barrel rolls and loops!

Craft File

Air Trooper MJ-X1

Zfyx0"><a  href=Javascript is disabled. View full album' alt='script>'>

After the tweaks the craft is handling much better, I've added struts to strengthen the Wings, Reaction Wheels, Tailfins that were missing, swapped out the J-33's on the Wings with the Whiplash plus added two more Engines, Added MK1 Modules close to the cab for quicker loading of the pilots. The bombs double as extra fuel tanks for longer flight time. After these changes were made I needed a new name and decided on Air Trooper MJ-X1, (MajorJim-Extreme One). It's nearly a stunt craft now doing barrel rolls and loops!

Craft File

Air Trooper MJ-X1

a>

Hahah! That's awesome! I'm really touched man, thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.