Hermes Interplanetary Spacecraft (from The Martian) [DISCONTINUED]

xxhansonmaxx

Some early feedback:

TWR feels low. It took me multiple attempts to stick a landing, and even then, I hit REALLY hard. LFO amount is probably alright, but I just couldn't change my velocity fast enough. I was playing with FAR installed, so it might just be that the atmospheric force may have not been enough to bleed to speed, but I know a lot of people play with FAR, so it may be something you want to consider. I started my tests from 40km-50km LDO orbits, and I just couldn't do it. Keep in mind, no chutes, just the built in engines.

Textures look really slick. Very nice tiling.

I might reconsider the engine FX. I think the purple-blue effect gets over-used. Something bright and orange might be nice.

Also, you're missing a surfaceFX module. Seeing as this is a descent vehicle, it could sure use it.

{
name = ModuleSurfaceFX
thrustProviderModuleIndex = 0
fxMax = 0.7
maxDistance = 30
falloff = 1.5
thrustTransformName = thrustTransform
}

Tweak to your liking, but it should be pretty good as is.

Over all, a very useful pod. Neat stuff. :)

Some early feedback:

TWR feels low. It took me multiple attempts to stick a landing, and even then, I hit REALLY hard. LFO amount is probably alright, but I just couldn't change my velocity fast enough. I was playing with FAR installed, so it might just be that the atmospheric force may have not been enough to bleed to speed, but I know a lot of people play with FAR, so it may be something you want to consider. I started my tests from 40km-50km LDO orbits, and I just couldn't do it. Keep in mind, no chutes, just the built in engines.

Textures look really slick. Very nice tiling.

I might reconsider the engine FX. I think the purple-blue effect gets over-used. Something bright and orange might be nice.

Also, you're missing a surfaceFX module. Seeing as this is a descent vehicle, it could sure use it.

{
name = ModuleSurfaceFX
thrustProviderModuleIndex = 0
fxMax = 0.7
maxDistance = 30
falloff = 1.5
thrustTransformName = thrustTransform
}

Tweak to your liking, but it should be pretty good as is.

Over all, a very useful pod. Neat stuff. :)

The book says the MDV used a couple set of chutes for landing and the engines cannot lift itself up but only able to slow the descent.

Hmm, I'll probably add the Rapier Engine effects. SurfaceFX would be handy, thanks!

---

Added MDV Download to OP

Edited by xxhansonmaxx

Will the final release contain the MAV as well? I think it would make the package complete. Hermes, MDV, MAV. It makes sense because the Endurance mod has Endurance, Lander, And Ranger (if you don't count viper) I know this would be a lot but I'm just suggesting/asking. Thanks :D

Will the final release contain the MAV as well? I think it would make the package complete. Hermes, MDV, MAV. It makes sense because the Endurance mod has Endurance, Lander, And Ranger (if you don't count viper) I know this would be a lot but I'm just suggesting/asking. Thanks :D

MAV is the most awesome craft in the movie, so that would be perfect. :P

Edited by sashan

Also the lagrange point you're talking about is EML2.

Yes, I'm talking about Earth-Moon Lagrange point. I'm unsure about which one, as I'm not very good at understanding low-energy transfer orbits. EML2 has one downside - it's behind the moon, why do you think it'd be used?

EDIT: By the way, I've did some simple geometry, and it seems that Moon would completely cover Earth when looking out of EML2, but it won't cover even as low orbits as ISS has. Comms won't be a problem.

Edited by sashan

Yes of course! xxhansonmaxx will be starting the modeling of it in his Sunday twitch stream!

It is a pretty sweet vehicle and we are going to see if the ladder tube can be used like in the movie

Are those 2.5m nodes on the command unit? They look same size as cupolas, which makes me wonder why not use stock cupolas on top?

Are the solar panels/radiators going to be dual axis? if so, they'd be great for space stations as well. Are they going to be gold or stock blue?