Does Anyone Know If Weather Is Getting Added At All?

In the end you'd just have to wait till the bad weather effects are over like in the real world. That's not adding a real gameplay value.

I have to categorically and ever so emphatically disagree here. I think weather would add a LOT gameplay wise. It would add a nice bit of realism and would make time sensitive contracts that much more eventful if say an ugly storm rolled in as your launch window opens and you gotta wait it out hoping the weather passes fast enough to handle the contract. Step beyond the confines of the easy and familiar to embrace the unknown.

I have to categorically and ever so emphatically disagree here. I think weather would add a LOT gameplay wise. It would add a nice bit of realism and would make time sensitive contracts that much more eventful if say an ugly storm rolled in as your launch window opens and you gotta wait it out hoping the weather passes fast enough to handle the contract. Step beyond the confines of the easy and familiar to embrace the unknown.

Just don't allow wind beyond a certain level in the launch path.

It would add a nice bit of realism and would make time sensitive contracts that much more eventful if say an ugly storm rolled in as your launch window opens and you gotta wait it out hoping the weather passes fast enough to handle the contract.

There are no time critical contracts. Launch windows are usually quite useful for many days or even weeks. Contracts last for years. There's no life support, no medical or technical problems that would make people do emergency launches or landings. Even in the real world the ISS has food and work stored for months so they don't need to rely on time critical resupply. The shuttle had multiple landing sites so they don't have to land in a storm. There will be no thrilling launches through storms and there will be no thrilling landings in storms. It'll be just like watching a six hour long rocket launch while they are waiting for the anvil clouds on the horizon to disappear until they scrub the launch for another try in two days.

It might look nice but gameplay wise it's just adding skippable or exploitable downtime. You really need to add in a whole lot of other gameplay elements to make it work and even then safety procedures would and should prevail. In the worst case people would just learn to constantly exploit the system like waiting to take a contract until the weather is nice enough.

Rather short sighted harry. A good number of contracts state do X task in Y time. That makes it time sensitive. Period. I know of some folks (myself included) pick up contacts and get sidetracked only to remember about Z contract only to fail. You also discount the players who DO use things like TAC Life Support and that build time mod. Adding weather enhances, not detracts. Look beyond yourself Harry, look beyond what to me looks like a mindset of impatience. See what can be, see the possibilities and dont wall yourself into a dull box because its comfortable and easy. In the end do what you want in your game, but do embrace the potential some day.

Rather short sighted harry. A good number of contracts state do X task in Y time. That makes it time sensitive. Period. I know of some folks (myself included) pick up contacts and get sidetracked only to remember about Z contract only to fail. You also discount the players who DO use things like TAC Life Support and that build time mod. Adding weather enhances, not detracts. Look beyond yourself Harry, look beyond what to me looks like a mindset of impatience. See what can be, see the possibilities and dont wall yourself into a dull box because its comfortable and easy. In the end do what you want in your game, but do embrace the potential some day.

But you don't have to pick that contract in the first place. And if you don't care about them now why would you care then? You'd just use timewarp. No suspense. Even with a life support mod you'd just put in enough reserves. That's not dull but the things real space agencies do all the time not just because of the weather.

No need to get upset Higgs, everyone has their own opinions.

The simple truth is, you are asking to have development time spent on something that we will inevitably just "wait for". What benefit does it really provide? It isn't a challenge to just sit around an wait, it isn't a fun game mechanic to just sit around and wait. It's basically like requesting more loading screens be added. You are asking to artificially introduce a mechanic that has you sitting around doing nothing till it goes away.

No, i am saying what could be. Now i personally would not object to such a mechanic to be added as it would be fun to see. It would obviously need a toggle or slider or so.

Edited by DuoDex

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.