[WIP] The Martian Ares Rover

-ctn-

Well, I'd say that we are probably launching these pre-supplies on a SLS rocket which is about a 5 m rocket in KSP. So, if we put the full rover in a 3 x 3 x say 7 meter container, you could feasibly launch a full rover in presupply, which makes it some or no assembly required (Maybe keep the wheels as KAS/KIS assembled at sight parts). Then in 2 launches you could bring both rovers + whatever food stuffs you want as well. Then another say 2 for hab parts including a solar farm and then the Hermes brings the MAV for the next mission as well as the MDV. So, we could keep it as a whole rover and only need say 5-6 pre-supplies which is half of what IRL needs.

Well, I love assembling stuff on-site. It's so much fun for me. So I plan to do it all that way.

As far as KIS goes, there's a module you can use in the config file to set the volume the part occupies, instead of KIS calculating it based in the mesh size. So I plan to cheat that a little and use the volume the parts would take up if they were folded neatly instead of assembled (ie the wheels).

The biggest container KIS gives is a 6000L storage. Using the cheated part volumes, it would be possible to send all the wheels in one container, possible strapped to the main flatbed. The second flatbed would have the battery pack attached, and a third launch for the cockpit.

Well the MAV is supposed to have the ISRU components to refuel itself, so I assume that's what a lot of the hull is used for.

And at this time, maybe eventually I'll do it. I hear someone else might tackle it, and there's not much in the way of reference photos for the MAV in the film. If you come across some, feel free to send them to me.

Yes! I hadn't seen either of those before.

I'm still looking for a good photo of the ceiling.

EDIT:

Well, unfortunately tonight wasn't as productive as I was hoping. I watched some videos on adding wheels to KSP and then re-modeled part of my wheel to look better and hopefully work properly in-game. I also added boxes on the undercarriage of the flatbed for the wheels to attach to, so if anyone assembles it with KIS, it will be easy enough to get symmetrical wheel alignment. I was going to start UV wrapping some of this stuff to work on textures but I figured I should let them sit for another day or two to see if anything else jumps out at me.

1rrM9UN.png

Edited by -ctn-

Well, I keep putting off importing the stuff into Unity to test it, so I took a gamble that I made the wheels correctly (mesh-wise, at least) and UV wrapped / textured it. Feels good to see something that looks complete.

What does everyone think?

YO1kpQD.jpg

Looks great!

If I may suggest, yellow/orange should be 15% darker and slightly less saturated.

The disk on the insice of the wheel look a bit plain, even on the original.

Edit: Do not overuse normal map, it might look different ingame anyway.

Edited by RedParadize

7C5wWeL.jpg

Textured the flatbeds for the Rover. The small containers on the sides say "CAUTION / NO STEP" and will have tiny KIS storage. The tiny white lettering says "MOUNT WHEEL HERE", which is aimed to make assembly on-site easier for symmetric wheels.

Haven't worked out how the hitch system should work yet, I'll take a look at Kerbal Foundries, as that might be the best place to start.

Hey thanks! I plan to do the battery pack / solar panels / co2 scrubbers next, but I am working on a short film over the weekend so it may be next week before I get any more work done.

RoverDude: I anticipate issues with the wheels and Unity, so I appreciate that. I may end up asking for help. The Unity stuff scares me, as I'm not too well versed with it.

I'll calculate mass based on dimensions and possible materials it's made of eventually. Maybe in my down time this weekend. The cockpit looks like it's made out of some sort of composite with light metallic structures for support, so I'm guessing it doesn't weigh a whole lot.

Alright, this is probably the last update until I get back from work on Monday. Textured the battery-solar-CO2 filter-pack. Keep in mind I'll probably touch all these textures up after seeing them in-game, but here is what it looks like now:

qyDh5ZO.jpg

And of course, the whole thing together:

3xbkoW4.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.