rcs issues

Hey all, been playing awhile but just signed up for forums. Having this weird issue with my RCS thrusters. Have 4 of them set in quad sym around lander can, but for some reason every time I try to translate for docking, all 4 thrusters fire and I end up going nowhere. I'm using standard controls wasd and am in LIN docking mode. I tried the same positioning on a tester rocket and they work properly, but just not on my miner/lander. Here's a photo, any advice would be welcome.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8gO2TMcBtquUVRBdWdCX1V1U3c/view

If RCS are positioned at an angle of 45 degree, all of them will fire for sure. They should not change your RCS experience, but you should expect sqrt(2) times monoprop usage. But anyway, it's not wrong to see all 4 fire, so that thing isn't suspicious.

Your original question - I don't know. Since you mentioned it worked fine on other crafts, my only suspicion, docking mode key binding, goes away. Maybe some sanity check of your craft (check RCS port not disabled, monoprop tank not locked, etc.)?

EDIT: no these are even fine, otherwise you won't see RCS fire. I really run out of idea. Maybe post a picture of RCS actually firing? Does F3 say anything?

Edited by FancyMouse

Your RCS seems way above you centre of mass, and that's bad: for translating you want your RCS centered on you CoM. Try bringing your RCS down so that it is at the same level as your CoM. The RCS Build Aid mod might help you there.

Also, since 1.0 docking mode doesn't work properly with default key configs. You're better off staying in staging mode and use the IHJKLN keys for translating as follows:

• I: Translate up
  • K: Translate down
  • J: Translate left
  • L: Translate right
  • H: Translate forwards
  • N: Translate backwards

Yes All RC thrusters should be in symmetry and either on the center of mass, or as balanced from center of mass as possible. There are mods that can help you with placement for more complex designs. But in general try to keep them on the same plane so one area doesn't have more torque than the other.

Now I'm no expert, but I do believe that the RCS thrusters shoud be on the WHOLE vehicle, not just on the top of the lander can. Try putting a few around the bottom of the vehicle, and move them as far to the top and the bottom of the lander as possible. Use this diagram.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1_SQExRMifSWaZD60eo9hMyrypogtJbAURkGEiRor0ns

As previous posters have said, try to center them around your CoM.

Another option to having one ring right around the CoM (if that location is inconvenient due to other components being there and getting in the way) is to have one ring of them at the top of the craft and another ring at the bottom, with the CoM somewhere in between.

Once you've done that, try turning on fine-control mode (caps lock) when using RCS. It does a really cool thing by enabling a KSP feature most folks don't know about: turns all your RCS thrusters to auto-throttle themselves to compensate for CoM positioning, which makes for smooth, wobble-free maneuvering. Detailed explanation here.

I've never used docking mode as I don't see the point of it. All that's needed is to map translation controls to a different set of keys. I use the numpad for translation and WASD for rotation. Unless I'm using a PS3-type gamepad anyway :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.