thoughts on the New porkjet 1.05 album

The bottom attach node on the Aerospike is a welcome addition, it's a good engine that's a bit awkward to use because of the lack of a node.

The Vector rocket engine looks OK, but has the possibility of simply outclassing all the 1.25m engines for lifters (and possibly the Skipper, too).

Love the new Mk1 cockpit and crew can, the latter in particular has been long-desired.

The reworking of the existing jets and intakes looks fantastic, they were not overly attractive parts.

The new jets I'm not all that enthused about. I suspect none of them will be appropriate for a spaceplane SSTO, and the 2.5m intake is married to an airliner engine. Not a fan of integrating the pylon into the big engine either, it looks OK in the example pic because a tail is mounted on it, but I think it will look bad if just the engine alone.

I love the new look of the MK1 cockpit as well. And I welcome the addition of a few more air-breathing engines. I haven't actually used the aerospike yet, but adding the bottom node might convince me to start. I like the new look of the radial intakes and intake fuselage, although I don't really use them either--simply put, a Mk1 inline cockpit + ram air/circular/shock cone intake seems to work better than a MK1 cockpit+either of those.

The Goliath is fine as it is IMO. Not going to use it, but if you want a modular engine in KSP you take the intake, the engine necelle and the basic jet engine. Viola! You got an airliner engine!

Still, not going to use it. It's too big and probably too heavy. If I want to get somewhere on Kerbin I just do a sub-orbital hop and I'm there.

The Goliath is fine as it is IMO. Not going to use it, but if you want a modular engine in KSP you take the intake, the engine necelle and the basic jet engine. Viola! You got an airliner engine!

Am I mistaken in thinking the Goliath is the only 2.5m jet engine? If so, then throwing together the parts you named would not suffice to replace the Goliath.

How can anyone say it's fine, and then say they won't use it anyway? Doesn't that, in itself, mean there's something wrong with it?

Edited by klgraham1013
edit, edit, always edit

Am I mistaken in thinking the Goliath is the only 2.5m jet engine? If so, then throwing together the parts you named would not suffice to replace the Goliath.

How can anyone say it's fine, and then say they won't use it anyway? Doesn't that, in itself, mean there's something wrong with it?

My point is it might be useful for those who like to build big airliner replicas. I don't build those. There's not much you can do with airliners in KSP. Not like there are airports you need to bring your kerbals to, or whatever.

Okay, maybe a Mriya with MAKS could make the Goliath somewhat useful. But then we have those atmospheric limitations, so need a mod for that. Or I could just put 4 BJEs under the wings instead of two Goliaths. Depends what power it will have, I guess.

EDIT with conclusion: It looks alright, but it's at the same time a meh to me.

- - - Updated - - -

My main problem is it's still all in horrible fuzzy grey. Everything is vast seas of grey :(

I actually like the grey scheme of KSP. Maybe it would be more scientific for parts to be black and white, but meh. Grey works fine too and looks original IMO.

Edited by Veeltch

My main problem is it's still all in horrible fuzzy grey. Everything is vast seas of grey :(

Well when you're building highly (HIGHLY) experimental craft, you don't really have time for aesthetics.

I would, however, like a "paint editor mode" or something for when I finally get my craft working right. THAT would be the time to make it look good. Not before hand.

I'm still going to offset the radial intake into the fuselage, I just won't have to hide it like with the old one.

Yeah, I'm really not struck with the new intake either. Just looks.. off. I guess it's supposed to look like the ones on, for example, a JA 37 Viggen, but the major difference is that the increased cross section made from the intake is preserved for much longer on the plane, as opposed to KSP where it tapers back down to 1.25m almost immediately. Squad are probably better off scrapping that look, but I'm not sure what they could replace it with. It'd all look dumb, like a huge Structural Intake.. :/

Yeah, I'm really not struck with the new intake either. Just looks.. off. I guess it's supposed to look like the ones on, for example, a JA 37 Viggen, but the major difference is that the increased cross section made from the intake is preserved for much longer on the plane, as opposed to KSP where it tapers back down to 1.25m almost immediately. Squad are probably better off scrapping that look, but I'm not sure what they could replace it with. It'd all look dumb, like a huge Structural Intake.. :/

Still much better than that brown-grey thing.

I love all of it. Except that the cargo bay ramp might not be added;.;;.;;.;

NOOOOOOooooo!!!

I like the idea of the giant Jet engine and how its all pasted together. If you were to take it apart, you would get 1 large intake, and 1 large engine. Most of the time you would use the 1 large intake with the 1 large engine right? So throwing them together makes sense, and allowing them to stack keeps it from being a 1 use part.

I personally am THRILLED about the Shuttle engines. I think they are going to be super expensive. They are already damn heavy from preliminary stats and hopefully have that mythical high angle gimbal ive been dreaming of for months. As long as these things are super expensive I will say they are balanced. Obviously if they get a nerf in the thrust department/ISP I wouldn't mind or care either. But they need to be able to perform the job as non-expendable launcher engines.

I'm kinda torn on a lot of it. It looks cool, the idea seems cool for a mod. But, it is a space travel game, so we get a bunch of jet engines that will only work in the atmosphere and incapable of being an SSTO engine! I just don't get it. It's not like there is really anything to do with them, not without more mods. "Ooh look, I just landed a brand new engine on the island runway. Ok, now what? Oh right, that's all there is."

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of those mods, KAX, Firespitter, etc. I enjoy building planes, but it belongs in a mod, it's really outside the scope of the core game. Even the basic jet engine we have now doesn't belong in there. As far as I'm concerned the core game should be space and space related things only.

Edited by Alshain

Damn, that's some serious creativity the way the engine bases are designed to tilt and still look good, and the same with the stack-attachable Goliath.

Plus I hope I can have stackable aerospikes for Christmas! Please Mr. Max?!

I actually like the Goliath, it can not only be for airliners, but for aircraft in general. For transport aircraft (with the new cargo ramp). And what hurts about adding new parts for planes? Personally, I'd let Squad do what they want to do. Also, it was mentioned that rocket parts will come soon, and even then, we already have a new 1.25m rocket engine.

But, as an airliner enthusiast (therefore what I say might be biased), who am I to speak?

- - - Updated - - -

But my heart sank when it was said that the Mk3 ramp might not make it in 1.0.5.. :( I wanted that. So. Damn. Much.

I'm kinda torn on a lot of it. It looks cool, the idea seems cool for a mod. But, it is a space travel game, so we get a bunch of jet engines that will only work in the atmosphere and incapable of being an SSTO engine! I just don't get it. It's not like there is really anything to do with them, not without more mods. "Ooh look, I just landed a brand new engine on the island runway. Ok, now what? Oh right, that's all there is."

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of those mods, KAX, Firespitter, etc. I enjoy building planes, but it belongs in a mod, it's really outside the scope of the core game. Even the basic jet engine we have now doesn't belong in there. As far as I'm concerned the core game should be space and space related things only.

Until you go to laythe :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.