Infinity Battlescape Kickstarter has started [Funded ! Now about those stretch goals ;-)]

DirkLarien

Infinity Battlescape - Kickstarter

Has successfully ended. 

If you missed it you can still pledge on Indie-gogo where the campaign moved.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/infinity-battlescape#/

final game will feature arena size of one star system with no loading screens.

Witch each planetary body to the scale similar to our own star system.

Main goal of a game will be fighting over resources and key instalations either in space or on surface.

With the size of the "arena" these battles could take several days... perhaps longer. ;-)

attachment.php?attachmentid=76073&d=1447560054

[EDIT]

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/309114309/infinity-battlescape

https://www.inovaestudios.com/Battlescape

Space to surface seamless transition

Battle montage

Planets in Prototype

Ask me Anything with Keith Newton

a0207399a319c94f1fdfe0d11e7e7149e51c772e.png

screenshot19.png

Gaze into the star

e6046d7f36f96f3de32357833762a140002d6a1b.jpg

Familiar looking station

6a9d2b4cd09739f4074ee0bfbba486405a8d6032.jpg

There was a change from long time plan in recent year/years from making an MMO game

To a smaller project that wont feature whole galaxy / universe but only single solar system.... But you all here know that even that can be a giant place to play.

They don't want to promise something too big that they might not be able to deliver.

So they started with smaller project.

3929ee65735e19d5d9834e74f4950d5527f5f8e72cf8_690x4  31.png

I would say the main catch of the project is and for a long time was completely seamless transitions from space to planetary bodies.

Which has been a Holy grail of these games for a long time.

3958ea3a8283264822c8b6bd691d3d8dced497a031aa_690x4  31.png

Inovae proved that their engine can do that

and since they are really small team of people that do this in their free time, ....well it took a while.

They are after all.... aiming high.

Project like this is rather ambitious.

Multiplayer Space action game involving whole solar system. (yes including planetary surfaces)

41785bc0dbfc68b997331c6d673f43361f074531c1a5_690x4  31.jpg

0dfedd3ed01d61b999ad8a060ffe875107dd67f4.jpg

They have been accused of vaporware many times now, yet they persisted. It is not some know road they would go like many others.

They are pioneers of a new and bold.

If you are interested in space games and the idea of this game please join our community over on the main site and consider supporting upcoming kickstarter.

Thank you

https://www.inovaestudios.com/

https://www.inovaestudios.com/Battlescape

+

some cool formation flight:

https://inovaedev.blob.core.windows.net/share-pub/Videos/OBS_chase_1.webm

https://inovaedev.blob.core.windows.net/share-pub/Videos/OBS_chase_2.webm

Edited by DirkLarien

Ah. These people again.

I sincerely hope that they actually do make a game one of these days, because they came up with this awesome concept way back when, but it's been vaporware for years :\

...The fact that their website has no news posts since 2013 and that the promo website has nothing on it but a big splash image (which is a painting rather than a screenshot) is not reassuring.

Ah. These people again.

I sincerely hope that they actually do make a game one of these days, because they came up with this awesome concept way back when, but it's been vaporware for years :\

...The fact that their website has no news posts since 2013 and that the promo website has nothing on it but a big splash image (which is a painting rather than a screenshot) is not reassuring.

[Edit] someone posted great answer on inovae forums to this very statement.

Here it is:

This remark is understandable, knowing that most kickstarter projects don't show up with even an alpha prototype. Let's remember Star Citizen, whose funding was solely made on the faith of a single name and promises.

I:B is different. Their prototype is operationnal and the video is in-game video footage (the latest video of volcanic planet is, but we don't know yet for the KS video). That's already a big difference compared to many other space-sims trailers that rely on CG videos.

Also, this remark comes from the fact that this project was started loooong ago: it is 8 years old at least. So yes, the initial KS was scheduled already a year before, if not more. The team delayed an early KS launch so as to make sure the work shown is in a (very) decent state. And the KS is happening: see the countdown :wink:

Let's remember as well that the dev team was working on spare time (and most still are). This explains a lot of the time span. If the KS reaches the minimum goal, the dev team will be able to work full time on the project.

Edited by DirkLarien

I like this quote from Inovae CEO Keith Newton:

Easily our biggest strength is that we have amazing planet tech right now. Everybody else is playing catch-up to us, lets keep it that way. Secondly we aren't promising the ultimate game of everything. We know we can't build that right now. We hope that the launch of this KS demonstrates that we can ship product and that we're fully committed to being both transparent and realistic about what we can accomplish and under what time frame (we've learned a lot on that front :wink: ). That's also why we haven't taken anybody's money up until now. We wanted to be certain we could deliver a polished product before we took that step. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race.

Finally! Sheesh, I'd finally stopped going back to their site to look for updates. Might be too little too late though. They could've been out the gate before No Man's Sky was even announced.

Edited by vger

Finally! Sheesh, I'd finally stopped going back to their site to look for updates. Might be too little too late though. They could've been out the gate before No Man's Sky was even announced.

I am not being lazy :-)

But answer to this statement was really nicely summed up by Keith from Inovae

here it is:

"The biggest misconception seems to be that E:D, NMS, etc built planet tech before us. We've been working on this for a long time and arguably everybody else is just trying to beat us to the punch

It's truly seamless, to-scale, and playable right now. It isn't a promise of something we could, should, or will do. We've already built this, it works, we're going to show you during the campaign.

Modding is one of our stretch goals, we can't wait to see what other people can build with our tech

This is just the tip of the iceberg with what we'll be able to do with our tech. Really I can't begin to explain the magnitude of cool stuff we can do once we get funding"

- - - Updated - - -

Very interesting, but I spent too much on other dreams, and now I can't afford any more.

I wonder how this will go against No Man's Sky

That is perfectly fine. ;-)

If you still want the game to succeed, do like we do.

Tell your friends who might be interested.

We live in age of social media.

"The biggest misconception seems to be that E:D, NMS, etc built planet tech before us. We've been working on this for a long time and arguably everybody else is just trying to beat us to the punch It's truly seamless, to-scale, and playable right now. It isn't a promise of something we could, should, or will do. We've already built this, it works, we're going to show you during the campaign.

Oh, I know they had it first. I've been watching that project since the very beginning. But, you know how it goes. NMS WILL be out first, and that will end up being treated by the court of popular opinion as the FIRST game to do it (even though KSP also did it first, but this feels like a much different animal). Think about how many people believe that Disney INVENTED Peter Pan.

Random thought though, I can't understand how nobody ever came forward with the money to fully-develop this into a game years ago.

Regardless, still holding out hope that the MMO happens someday. It feels like it could be everything that EVE should have been, but isn't. And just a random jab, this is what stock KSP SHOULD look like. I'm rather disappointed that they're starting out with a straight wargame though. These are the kind of graphics that make me just want to hang up a hammock next to the panoramic window of my little privateer craft, and just let it drift for a while.

Oh, I know they had it first. I've been watching that project since the very beginning. But, you know how it goes. NMS WILL be out first, and that will end up being treated by the court of popular opinion as the FIRST game to do it (even though KSP also did it first, but this feels like a much different animal). Think about how many people believe that Disney INVENTED Peter Pan.

Random thought though, I can't understand how nobody ever came forward with the money to fully-develop this into a game years ago.

Regardless, still holding out hope that the MMO happens someday. It feels like it could be everything that EVE should have been, but isn't. And just a random jab, this is what stock KSP SHOULD look like. I'm rather disappointed that they're starting out with a straight wargame though. These are the kind of graphics that make me just want to hang up a hammock next to the panoramic window of my little privateer craft, and just let it drift for a while.

I understand what you mean.

and the reason why are they making war game first is

1 economical - they are really independent studio unlike other player in this field, they don't have the any starting funding to achieve anything more yet and i guess they don't expect to raise milions like SC. I wish they would, but they simply don't know. And you cannot change kickstarted project just like that. You need to promise something that you know you can deliver.

2 experience - this is pretty much same thing, they have an amazing tool, but they need learn to make awesome stuff with it. If succesful they might one day evolve the skills and confidence to go into such giant undertaking like and MMO.

Look at other big players how are they coping with it... :-) Its a mess. And those studios have tens or even hundreds of employees.

This is tiny team of 9 maybe 10 people.

- - - Updated - - -

also new screens :-)

512b36061c43e8204a8fa4ef43fae8a9a3f1e420.png

5c04f8fe14532c55fa893267313b8439c31bd16a.png

TBH, about that "playing catch-up"...

- EVE Online's planets look just as pretty, admittedly from orbit but still.

- Space Engine Space Engine Space Engine Space Engine Space Engine. Everyone is playing catch-up to Space Engine. The Infinity engine was impressive two (three?) years ago when they first brought it up, but nowadays they're not the only fish in the sea any more, and seamless space-planetside-space transitions are commonplace. Even KSP has 'em.

- Space Engine Space Engine Space Engine Space Engine Space Engine.

Time will tell about the difference in performance (though I presume, for a wargame, it must be pretty fast). But going purely on graphics, Space Engine can't hold a candle to Infinity. The level of detail on the planets is nowhere near that good.

It is if you turn the settings up, but I'll give you that SE is painfully slow about that, at least on consumer-grade computers.

I'm actually suspicious that Infinity's test rigs are souped up way beyond the specs of the computers people would use to play the game.

New screenshot posted today!

450670bac8b20d80a9818a231b9f5c77a3941f3d.jpg

It is if you turn the settings up, but I'll give you that SE is painfully slow about that, at least on consumer-grade computers.

I'm actually suspicious that Infinity's test rigs are souped up way beyond the specs of the computers people would use to play the game.

The only souped up specs are needing a gpu that has 4gb of virtual ram to run the game currently. This is due to the fact that the engine is currently unoptimized. This will change as the game heads towards release.

Source: The devs themselves when regarding the private playtest they held a few weeks ago.

Some new screenshots from the Infinity battlescape page

I love the cockpit look...this will be blast with headtracking

screenshot115.jpg

screenshot119.jpg

screenshot258.jpg

screenshot77.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And how is this different from Elite:Dangerous, Star Citizen, and the myriad of other PCG open universe sci-fi games?

to quote developers:

The biggest misconception seems to be that E:D, NMS, etc built planet tech before us. We've been working on this for a long time and arguably everybody else is just trying to beat us to the punch

It's truly seamless, to-scale, and playable right now. It isn't a promise of something we could, should, or will do. We've already built this, it works, we're going to show you during the campaign.

Modding is one of our stretch goals, we can't wait to see what other people can build with our tech

This is just the tip of the iceberg with what we'll be able to do with our tech. Really I can't begin to explain the magnitude of cool stuff we can do once we get funding

Other then that game is situated in to the scale solar system.

It is not MMO but who knows what MODers can do with it right :-)

Please listen to the speak at the end of the kickstarter video. Devs explain it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/309114309/infinity-battlescape/description

The kickstarter mentions Newtonian physics, but the trailer clearly shows otherwise.

"procedurally generated, true to scale solar system"; What does that mean?

They show a purple rocky planet with rings, so we know the setting is not Solar system, so how is "true to scale" relevant or applicable?

The kickstarter mentions Newtonian physics, but the trailer clearly shows otherwise.

"procedurally generated, true to scale solar system"; What does that mean?

They show a purple rocky planet with rings, so we know the setting is not Solar system, so how is "true to scale" relevant or applicable?

Newtonian means that when you apply thrust to certain direction ship will fly in that direction until this is countered or changed.... if you play KSP you need to know this...

It is not as realistic as in KSP but it is there you can see that in streams (second vid in OP)

Ships handle diferently in space and in atmosphere. can be seen too.

ship bodies provide certain amount of lift so turning in atmo is lot more effective via rolling and pulling up.... well that will depend on ship shape something like B-wing would work oppositely :-)

solar system does not mean it will be SOL.

It is fictional solar system, not our own.

True to scale.... nice one, this can be debated... :-) It means that game has planets of sizes similar to our own solar system.

Simply put planets wont be some tiny balls of rock .... the are really huge. please watch the streams (second video....and so on)

there you can see moving around planets and speeds at which that is happening on the HUD.

Newtonian means that when you apply thrust to certain direction ship will fly in that direction until this is countered or changed.... if you play KSP you need to know this...

It is not as realistic as in KSP but it is there you can see that in streams (second vid in OP)

I'd like to expand on this - there is a correction assist that stabilizes your ship and flies according to your set speed. This assist can be turned off and you can have full control over your ships movements. Orbital mechanics are also supported in this regard so you can fly in on an "unpowered" trajectory if you really wanted to. Newtonian mechanics are fully supported.

It is not our solar system, but a solar system. When they say true to scale they mean that the planets are many AU away from their star and that the planets/moons themselves are realistically sized with radii of multiple thousands of kilometers.

Guys, you don't need to explain what Newtonian means, I know that, and I can see in the trailer that it is not Newtonian.

https://youtu.be/TJqkiNAuBrw?t=2m40s

From 2:40 onward the ship is continually burning with the huge aft thrusters but there is no noticeable acceleration. The roll is mostly ok, with small thrusters firing, but from 2:52 to 2:55 we clearly see the left roll being stopped without thrusters. Pitching up and vector change at 3:20 and later don't look feasible with those small thrusters. Motions look like that of an aircraft, not spacecraft.

From 2:40 onward the ship is continually burning with the huge aft thrusters but there is no noticeable acceleration. The roll is mostly ok, with small thrusters firing, but from 2:52 to 2:55 we clearly see the left roll being stopped without thrusters. Pitching up and vector change at 3:20 and later don't look feasible with those small thrusters. Motions look like that of an aircraft, not spacecraft.

Please read my response

I'd like to expand on this - there is a correction assist that stabilizes your ship and flies according to your set speed. This assist can be turned off and you can have full control over your ships movements. Orbital mechanics are also supported in this regard so you can fly in on an "unpowered" trajectory if you really wanted to. Newtonian mechanics are fully supported.

It's an autocorrect so that you don't have to fly newtonian full non-corrected newtonian if you don't want to. It isn't intuitive to many.

Edited by How2FoldSoup

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.