[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Yesterday, when I was designing a shuttle, i put on a mechjeb AR202 case and the menu as well as the tolbar buttons

failed to appear. This is what I got when checking the logs from my last session:

MechJeb module MechJebModuleMenu threw an exception in DrawGUI: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not

set to an instance of an object at MuMech.Button.attachEventHandler (System.Reflection.EventInfo event,

System.String methodName, System.Object realButton) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at MuMech.Button..ctor

(System.Object realButton, MuMech.ToolbarTypes types) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at

MuMech.ToolbarManager.add (System.String ns, System.String id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at

MuMech.MechJebModuleMenu.SetupMainToolbarButton () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at

MuMech.MechJebModuleMenu.SetupToolBarButtons () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at

MuMech.MechJebModuleMenu.DrawGUI (Boolean inEditor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at MuMech.MechJebCore.OnGUI

() [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

This also showed up in the logs after deleting the part:

MechJeb module MechJebModuleMenu threw an exception in OnDestroy: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference

not set to an instance of an object at MuMech.MechJebModuleMenu.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebCore.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Can you please help me? I use mechjeb frequently to launch my rockets (I can launch them just fine, but I prefer

the precison of MJ) as well for rendezvous and docking (again, for precision).

Seems the Launch To Rendezvous and Launch into Plane of Target issues I was having have not been fixed entirely. I'm still encountering it on the Mun, at least, with either launch option. Screenies are worth a few words at least, right? The following one was taken after completion of the circularization burn with a Launch into Plane of Target method. I hope I got enough orbital infos showing for both my craft, and my target.

Q60ebDFl.png

As to why this issue is still cropping up, I've no idea. However, in this case I'm thinking maybe the slow rotation of the Mun played a part. MJ waited ~55k (yes, that's ~55 thousand) seconds before launching. Maybe there's a limit to how long MJ will wait until the target's orbit is overhead...though, perhaps that's not the issue, as MJ should have taken a southerly route instead of the northerly one it chose. Don't mind my rambling, just trying to give some direction to look in...

Additionally, I noted that as soon as I clicked the Engage Autopilot button, MJ tried to launch even before I'd clicked either of the two other launch to target options. I had to reload from a QS and ensure the engine was shut down until the countdown reached ~0.

Derp...forgot to mention this is with 2.2.1 as available on the Spaceport. Used for compatibility with RPM. Though I doubt this has been readdressed in more recent dev builds up to this post.

Edited by Einarr

Are there any known conflicts with MechJeb since KSP 23.5 was released? Since then, mechjeb has not worked.... Either the side menu bar has appeared, but not populated with anything when viewed (although previously openned windows were present), or the parts are there... and none of the GUI elements are there. I've been using MechJeb Ver. 2.2.1 so far. (Note: I am about to try an older version of Mechjeb to see if that makes a difference.)

Current Mod list is as follows:

000_toolbar

Active Texture Management (aggressive)

B9 Aerospace

BahaConstellation

Boulderco (Clouds etc)

Deadly Reentry

Kerbal Engineer

Exsurgent Engineering

FASA (Mercury/Gemini/Apollo craft at KSP scale)

Ferram Aerospace Research

Firespitter

FusTek

Hubs (for reflections)

Kerbal Attachment System

KAX (Turbo props)

KinetechAnimation

KSPX

KW Rocketry

Infernal Robotics (Seems to work fine for what I use it for....)

MechJeb

NASA Mission

NavyFish's docking alignment indicator

Interstellar

Scan Sat

Kerbal Alarm Clock

VNG's parachutes

Thank you for the help!

Thanks for the help! In fact, I really appreciate the incredibly prompt reply! Do you troll this thread? :P If so, I am glad you do bud! You Sir, are awesome sauce!

Thank you very much for the help!

#233...

My impatience is showing again :blush:, but sometimes when my chase ship is at the start of a docking maneuver, it seems to lock up like it's trying to "think" about what it's supposed to do. The RCS will fire briefly, then the ship begins drifting toward the end opposite the selected docking port of the target in a totally wrong (directional) attitude. The distance between the two is well outside the "safe distance".

Once the chase ship actually begins the docking maneuver, things do run smooth and steady. But that hesitation at the beginning is... annoying. Perhaps all that's needed is a status message telling me what MJ is doing so I know it really hasn't locked up.

Also, at the conclusion of the docking, seemingly at random, the RCS will begin firing all of the thrusters, and continues to do so unless I manually close the DAP dialog.

Edited by BARCLONE

To celebrate the latest ModuleManager release, this is what I believe is the correct way to add MechJeb to all command modules using MM 2.0.x:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:FINAL:NEEDS[MechJeb2]
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
MechJebLocalSettings
{
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
}
}
}

EDIT: Bugfixed after some advice from Sarbian and Ialdabaoth. Thanks guys!

Edited by OrbitalDebris

Fizwalker : I suscribed to the thread. I get an email for each time a new post is made since my last visit.

BARCLONE : can you take a screenshot the docking interface when it's "stuck" ? I ll add a debug windows later so we can track down the state the AP is in and why it does not move.

The RCS keep firing after docking is a bit tricky. I'll have to find a proper way to fix it.

OrbitalDebris : as I said in MM thread wrong number of ] :)

Pondafarr : no, nothing yet. I ll try to give a few hints when I'm back in front of the window.

Edited by sarbian

BARCLONE : can you take a screenshot the docking interface when it's "stuck" ? I ll add a debug windows later so we can track down the state the AP is in and why it does not move.

The RCS keep firing after docking is a bit tricky. I'll have to find a proper way to fix it.

I just sent a utility tug to my station in LKO, and had both the drift and RCS issues show up. The "lockup" issue didn't materialize this time. You know, of course, that asking me is a sure-fire way to make the problem go away for a while, right?

Here's a sequence of screenshots concerning what the tug did as soon as I engaged the DAP: Drift Issue

And here is a sequence showing the RCS problem: RCS Issue

I didn't see anything in the docking AP dialog that looked out-of-place, but then, I don't know what I'm looking at most of the time.

Hi everybody...

I'm still having an issue with the docking AP. The main issue being it backing to "safeDistance". Quite often I'll be moving from one docking port to another, usually I'll be rather close, say within 30m, and pretty much lined up with nothing sticking out for me to bump into. If I engage the docking AP is backs all the way out the starting point. If my station is large the "safeDistance" can be over 250m away. It's irritating to be right there and have the thing rocket away when it doesn't have to.

Is there any way to over ride moving to a starting point? Maybe a "use present location as starting point" button?

I will say I'm getting much better at manual docking... but if I've a bunch of stuff to move around that can get tedious.

OrbitalDebris : as I said in MM thread wrong number of ] :)

Yep, it's always the little things that get ya. I'm at work right now, but when I get home I'll make the change and test it again, and I'll update my post. Thanks a lot! :D

EDIT: Post updated.

Edited by OrbitalDebris

I could not get it to unzip I might have gotten a corrupted download...

Re-download and try again. Can't imagine why it wouldn't be extracting for you as I have, literally, just downloaded and extracted (unzipped) the file.

I don't remember since which version, when i engage ascent guidance before starting the rocket engine, MJ start flipping the control surface like crazy, ended up my rocket flying horizontally when i start the engine & release the clamp.... Anyone experiencing this?

Not a big issue, i can just fire sas and engage ascent guidance after lift off, just annoying tho.

MJ seems to not even agree with itself on launch windows. I've had windows that were a long ways in the future turn out badly, so I tried stopping and recalculating about 20 days in advance- and the new one is yet another orbit away.

I have the same problem (build #236). A planetary transfer from Kerbin to Duna was calculated 1 1/2 years in advance. Before warping the required dV wildly changes between 800 dV to around 3000 dv many times every second. After warping to the transfer window it settled for a 3000 dV burn that plunged my craft into Kerbin.

Like you said, re-initiateing the transfer a few days prior to the window gave me a new dV of roughly 900 dV, a good node, and a good transfer to Duna.

Transfer window changing after a warp is most likely related to precision loss in the calculation and the optimizer finding a better solution later. I'll do a few test to see if it's that and to see if increasing the resolution of some of the calculation helps ( note to self DeltaVAndTimeForHohmannTransfer numDivisions & iter )

MoeMelek : I don't understand what you are telling. The transfer planer adds a node and leave it alone so I don't see how the dv could change.

MoeMelek : I don't understand what you are telling. The transfer planer adds a node and leave it alone so I don't see how the dv could change.

Thank you for your reply, I love your work. :) Sometimes my nodes seems messed up and I don't unterstand it either. It's like the node is constantly recalculated. Might be a problem with my installation. Will try to narrow it down and get back to you if I find anything.

Transfer window changing after a warp is most likely related to precision loss in the calculation and the optimizer finding a better solution later. I'll do a few test to see if it's that and to see if increasing the resolution of some of the calculation helps ( note to self DeltaVAndTimeForHohmannTransfer numDivisions & iter )

Thank you for your reply, I love your work. :) Sometimes my nodes seems messed up and I don't unterstand it either. It's like the node is constantly recalculated. Might be a problem with my installation. Will try to narrow it down and get back to you if I find anything.

Delta-V requirements for a given maneuver can change based on circumstances and are constantly recalculated by KSP. It's always been like that.