[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

;-)

Something completely different: Is there a way to set an "Orbital Period" in maneuver planner? I'm setting up some satellites for RemoteTech2 for the first time and thought I could use MechJeb to have them synchronized in the end. Am I overseeing something or is this just not implemented?

Just realized that there also is "Semi Major Axis" for this in the Maneuver Planner. However the outcome is by far not exact enough to set up a satellite network that doesn't drift quickly. Am I missing something?

Is there a chance of having a "Orbital Period" feature with more precision (down to 0.1 second) in a future version?

Just realized that there also is "Semi Major Axis" for this in the Maneuver Planner. However the outcome is by far not exact enough to set up a satellite network that doesn't drift quickly. Am I missing something?

Is there a chance of having a "Orbital Period" feature with more precision (down to 0.1 second) in a future version?

even in real life, satellite constellations have to deal with drift all the time and routine corrections are necessary....

Yes - MechJeb assumes stock values for drag, terminal velocity etc.. everything to do with atmospheric flight. FAR (and probably NEAR) zeros out stock drag and applies its own so MJ sees zero drag and thinks 'ooh, no drag! Infinite terminal V!'. There is a FAR extension for MJ but it hasn't been updated yet.

Basically, don't even bother opening MJ when you're in atmo and have FAR/NEAR installed. The autopilot functions are based off of something that now doesn't exist.

good to know that I'm not crazy .... maybe I am ..... well at least the problem is known .. prolly wouldn't be a bad idea to pull far until its taken care of .. it was driving me nutty ... *oh crap .. I am crazy.."

Yes - MechJeb assumes stock values for drag, terminal velocity etc.. everything to do with atmospheric flight. FAR (and probably NEAR) zeros out stock drag and applies its own so MJ sees zero drag and thinks 'ooh, no drag! Infinite terminal V!'. There is a FAR extension for MJ but it hasn't been updated yet.

Basically, don't even bother opening MJ when you're in atmo and have FAR/NEAR installed. The autopilot functions are based off of something that now doesn't exist.

Well it's a bit extreme. The aditional modul for FAR solve most of those problems (when it works, I need to fix it again this weekend).

even in real life, satellite constellations have to deal with drift all the time and routine corrections are necessary....

yes, but if you try to set up a RemoteTech relais system around Kerbin it shouldn't drift for quite some time if you get it at least 0.1s synchronized. everything else will create trouble soon (except if you edit the save file).

So if this kind of precision was possible with MechJeb that would make life easier.

MJ should get you on a "not too bad" orbit. Then you'll have to adjust it with RCS in precision mode.

Some change to help getting this precision may come later, but it less important to me.

Absolutely correct. Certainly in real life, spacecrafts also need to make corrections because of effects not depicted in KSP (perturbations to the orbit due to the oblateness of Earth, gravitation from other bodies, Earth's gravitational field differences, solar wind, magnetic fields, and drag still present beyond any fixed altitude limit). But one of the main reason for corrections, is the practical impossibility to achieve absolute precision in measuring orbital elements, and then in applying the needed corrections.

The longer a spacecraft remains in orbit, the more little errors and perturbations will accumulate, to end with a difference comparable to the maximum allowed, and such to require a correction to minimize errors again.

I would actually like to see a mod with KSP able to automatically apply corrections, and certainly MechJeb has all the stuff for that. Don't know if this idea was already suggested. But, could we have an autopilot able to memorize orbital parameters when activated, and when one such parameter is found beyond a set limit, creates and executes a maneuver to bring it back to the original value?

The empty maneuver box issue with dev uild should be fixed now.

Please let me know if you still have issues or if there could be improvements in the GUI.

Modders who want to add maneuvers now simply have to create a new class inheriting from Operation, look at comments in Maneuver/Operation.cs and examples from other classes in Maneuver folder.

@steve_v: thanks for help in debugging :)

MJ should get you on a "not too bad" orbit. Then you'll have to adjust it with RCS in precision mode.

Some change to help getting this precision may come later, but it less important to me.

OK. Next feature on the list: "Synchronize orbit with target" (to achieve the exact same period) :-)

I also like diomedea's idea of automatic correction. MJ could even set up a maneuver node in 763d and then Alarm Clock could remind us…

Another question: Is there a config or a planned feature to add MechJeb to all pods and probe cores?

Sarbian,

Just installed 277...

The caption at the top of the MJ dialog still says "2.3.0" instead of "2.3.1"...

I tried installing both ways -- replacing the DLL, and installing a full package. No difference.

The dV calculations are not showing up either in the VAB or out at the pad. I get a dialog screen, but either lines of zeros or no data at all. The game appears to "see" the engine has fuel in the tank, though, as it proceeds with a burn as normal.

The vessel stats dialog showed "NaN" on several data displays just before physics kicked in, then changed to something readable.

Hi there,

my Delta-V Stats Window seems broken(no values anymore):

ifLGHyf.jpg

in the Debug-Console i got the following:

[Exception]: FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'FerramAerospaceResearch, Version=0.14.1.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

[Error]: MechJeb module MechJebModuleThrustController threw an exception in Drive: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at MuMech.MechJebModuleThrustController.FlameoutSafetyThrottle () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MuMech.MechJebModuleThrustController.Drive (.FlightCtrlState s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MuMech.MechJebCore.Drive (.FlightCtrlState s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Some of my Mods:

MechJeb2.dll Build #277 (01.08.2014 09:47:14),

Ferram Aerospace Research v0.14.1.1,

MechJebFARExt.zip from 01.08.2014, 13:23 CEST (some versioning would be nice here)

Output.log:

output_log - Kopie.7z

Sarbian,

I just looked through both my KSP.log and Player.log files, but I did not see any of the errors described by Jasmir. Several instances of ModuleManager throwing exceptions, but nothing from MechJeb.

Jasmir's screenshot, however, is the same as what I'm seeing for the Delta-V window. In the VAB, it's a line of zeros.

Great, thanks. For now I'll just uninstall FAR (way too tired to do things the honest way) and I'll look at reinstalling it sometime in the future.

Jasmir : if the dV stats are wrong then the node and other things are not working properly. Those module need the dV info to work.

As I said I need a save game with a mod list. it works here with a Kerbal-X

Works when I test here :(

Can you get me a save game with a mod list ?

Savegame/Ships:

jasmir.7z

Mods:

Toolbar-1.7.6

DeadlyReentryCont_v5.2

DebRefund-1.0.12DebRefund-1.0.12

VertVel113

EditorExtensions_v1.3

Ferram_Aerospace_Research-v0.14.1.1

Fine_Print-0.52a

Firespitter_634

GoodspeedPump-2.14.1

Kerbal_Joint_Reinforcement-v2.4.3

KW_Rocketry-2.6c

Magic_Smoke_Industries_Infernal_Robotics-0.18.3

MechJeb2 Build #277

MechJebFARExt.zip from 01.08.2014 (problem is there with or without this dll)

HotRockets_7.24_Nazari

DockingPortAlignment_4.0

ProceduralParts-0.9.16

RealChute v1.2.3

SelectRoot-Jul18

StationScience-1.1

TacLifeSupport_0.9.0.9-pre3

TacFuelBalancer_2.3.0.2

KerbalAlarmClock_2.7.8.2

Taurus_HCV_-_3.75_m_Stock-ish_Crew_Pod-1.2.1.1

########################

Update:

KSP is 0.24.2, running on Win7/64 as 32Bit Version (KSP_64 is way to unstable for me)

ModuleManager.2.2.0

ResearchThemAll

I've replaced the MechJeb2 Build #277 with #270 and deleted MechJebFARExt without change anything else, and the problem is gone...

########################

Edited by Jasmir
Update

Sarbian,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xqjlmpxfeosl4v7/AABDYCCxgeIWzbvlFA6ym-ina

Module Manager is 2.2.0...

This has my last-recorded game save, the persistence file, KSP and Player logs, a copy of my MM "Parts Pilfering" file, my VAB craft files, and the "HallOfFame" files from FF.

I'm not including the actual mod folders for the rest, since you probably have most of them. I've tried to keep everything reasonably up-to-date.

As mentioned, I run the 64-bit version on Linux (Mint 17), but I have noticed references in the KSP log to the 64-bit version for Windows.

Hope this helps.

Edited by BARCLONE

Sarbian,

Here's a screenshot of my VAB, and how MJ is acting. You can see only one line in the dV table with values, the rest are zero'd out. There are three engines on this rocket (notice the staging).

MJ Delta-V Problem

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/12384-PART-0-24-2-Anatid-Robotics-MuMech-MechJeb-Autopilot-v2-3-1?p=1319348&viewfull=1#post1319348

I had the same problem as you do now.

I had to remove the mechjeb Far extension for it to start working again MEchjeb2->plugins-> MechJebFARExt.dll

Fixed the delta-V and general issues with mechjeb for me.

Sarbian,

Here's a screenshot of my VAB, and how MJ is acting. You can see only one line in the dV table with values, the rest are zero'd out. There are three engines on this rocket (notice the staging).

MJ Delta-V Problem

Got the same problem without an FAR extension.

Seems that attaching anything other than Squad parts to a ship will cause this,and removing it doesn't help.