[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Question, how well does MJ interact with the RealChutes mod?

They're from Kerbal Foundries, and they're awesome. They're the "medium" sized ones.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84102-WIP-PARTS-PLUGIN-0-23-5-Kerbal-Foundries-wheelpack-anti-grav-repulsors

Too bad it isn't compatible with 0.90 atm.

Edited by smjjames

NBZ : Mechjeb uses the value provided by KSP. Keep in mind that Tylo and Gilly radius are far from being the same.

smjjames : badly. I'll have to work on it at one point, but I have to make choice.

NBZ : Mechjeb uses the value provided by KSP. Keep in mind that Tylo and Gilly radius are far from being the same.

Why is the radius important? Doesn't it assume the vessel is on the surface of the body?

There must be something odd happening there. I can't check it against KER right now but Tylo's surface gravity is supposed to be 7.85 m/s^2 (~80% of Kerbin) and Gilly's is supposed to be 0.049 m/s^2 (~0.05% of Kerbin). The Gilly TWR looks about right (using 0.049 m/s^2 and the mass of 4.8t gives TWR of 1062.9) but Tylo should be about 6.63...

Hi,

I have a question. I know it is possible to attach MechJeb module to every pod/probe, but it adds all the options such as guidence, etc. Is it possible to attach info-only modules, so that you can get all parameters from just the pod, however you need AR case to get non info-only modules. I hope you understand what I am trying to say through all this.

Hi,

I have a question. I know it is possible to attach MechJeb module to every pod/probe, but it adds all the options such as guidence, etc. Is it possible to attach info-only modules, so that you can get all parameters from just the pod, however you need AR case to get non info-only modules. I hope you understand what I am trying to say through all this.

Does this page answer your question? : http://wiki.mechjeb.com/index.php?title=Manual/Blacklisting_modules

The radius have some use if you compared the gravitational parameter. I did not check the numbers in the screenshot.

MJ uses the body GeeASL so I don't see why the result would be wrong.

Could you maybe be bothered to check the numbers? They surely do seem obviously wrong. Tylo's gravity surely feels more like Kerbin than Gilly in-game. but maybe we need to file a bug-report to Squad if KSP reports wrong. As it is now, I cannot rely on Mechjeb to adjust my Tylo lander's TWR.

Can someone else try Mk1, RT-10, AR202 (or any other test setup) and see what MechJeb says about Tylo?

Edited by NBZ

Hi,

So you want only the information readouts but none of the auto-piloting? If so you could install Kerbal Engineer Redux instead.

So you want only the information readouts but none of the auto-piloting? If so you could install Kerbal Engineer Redux instead.

The KER HUD displays are nice.

f7vCDqF.png

But, mechjeb's ability to generate a porkchop plot and a maneuver node based on that plot which can then be placed into Kerbal Alarm Clock is nice too:0

GYyyb5w.png
Edited by Otis

@Otis: I think PawelECieslak doesn't want any auto-generating functions anyway. So KER should meet his needs.

Anyway, @PawelECieslak: If you're playing on Career, this might help. If not, I don't know how to disable those features on Sandbox:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
MechJebLocalSettings
{
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor {unlockTechs = none}
MechJebModuleSmartASS {unlockTechs = none}
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner {unlockTechs = none}
MechJebModuleNodeEditor {unlockTechs = none}
MechJebModuleTranslatron {unlockTechs = none}
MechJebModuleWarpHelper {unlockTechs = none}
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment {unlockTechs = none}
MechJebModuleThrustWindow {unlockTechs = none}
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow {unlockTechs = none}
MechJebModuleRoverWindow {unlockTechs = none}
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance {unlockTechs = none}
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance {unlockTechs = none}
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance {unlockTechs = none}
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance {unlockTechs = none}
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow {unlockTechs = none}
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance {unlockTechs = none}
}
}
}

In case it's not obvious, open your notepad, paste this in there and save as a .cfg file inside your KSP\GameData folder.

Could you maybe be bothered to check the numbers? They surely do seem obviously wrong. Tylo's gravity surely feels more like Kerbin than Gilly in-game. but maybe we need to file a bug-report to Squad if KSP reports wrong. As it is now, I cannot rely on Mechjeb to adjust my Tylo lander's TWR.

Can someone else try Mk1, RT-10, AR202 (or any other test setup) and see what MechJeb says about Tylo?

As I said in my post on the previous page, the Tylo TWR of that rocket should be approx. 6.6. The thrust force is 250000N and the weight force is 4800kg * the surface gravitational acceleration (7.85 m/s^2 on Tylo). TWR is simply (thrust / weight) which comes out to 6.63.

As Sarbian said, MJ asks KSP for the GeeASL (g at sea level) value for the body concerned which is a simple multiplier for Kerbin's g value, e.g. for Tylo KSP should be returning approx. 0.8 and for Gilly approx. 0.005. It appears that KSP is returning the correct value for Gilly but a wildly wrong one for Tylo.

The surface gravity of Laythe is the same as Tylo so can you see what TWR that gives? In fact, could you list the values for all the bodies? It should only take a couple of minutes and may give some insight into what is wrong with your game...

Edited by Padishar

Any possible improvements to the porkchop plot? Specifically the ability to tell it to only show me departure plot for the next 30/60/120/240 days? I still haven't found a way to zoom in to the left edge reliably.

Hover your mouse cursor over the area you want to zoom and use the mouse wheel.

You can zoom with the scroll wheel, it works well near the edge.

It is complicated to make the zoom work when you leave the plot area, and I don't want to add more buttons, textboxes or menus.

If you have requirements for the arrival date, there is the limited time mode that does exactly the same calculations and accepts text input.

As I said in my post on the previous page, the Tylo TWR of that rocket should be approx. 6.6. The thrust force is 250000N and the weight force is 4800kg * the surface gravitational acceleration (7.85 m/s^2 on Tylo). TWR is simply (thrust / weight) which comes out to 6.63.

As Sarbian said, MJ asks KSP for the GeeASL (g at sea level) value for the body concerned which is a simple multiplier for Kerbin's g value, e.g. for Tylo KSP should be returning approx. 0.8 and for Gilly approx. 0.005. It appears that KSP is returning the correct value for Gilly but a wildly wrong one for Tylo.

The surface gravity of Laythe is the same as Tylo so can you see what TWR that gives? In fact, could you list the values for all the bodies? It should only take a couple of minutes and may give some insight into what is wrong with your game...

A little later: Rebooted KSP to load KER, and now everything is right, even after removing KER. I guess KSP just had a hiccup, albeit a really odd one. Sorry for bothering.

When the problem still existed, Laythe and Jool were right:

[TABLE=width: 128]

[TR]

[TD=width: 64, align: left]Sun[/TD]

[TD=width: 64, align: right]3.02[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Kerbin[/TD]

[TD=align: right]5.27[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Mun[/TD]

[TD=align: right]31.74[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Minmus[/TD]

[TD=align: right]105.36[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Moho[/TD]

[TD=align: right]19.16[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Eve[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3.1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Duna[/TD]

[TD=align: right]17.56[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Ike[/TD]

[TD=align: right]47.04[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Jool[/TD]

[TD=align: right]6.59[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Laythe[/TD]

[TD=align: right]6.59[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Vall[/TD]

[TD=align: right]22.42[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Bop[/TD]

[TD=align: right]87.8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Tylo[/TD]

[TD=align: right]526.8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Gilly[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1053.61[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Pol[/TD]

[TD=align: right]138.63[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Dres[/TD]

[TD=align: right]45.81[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Eeloo[/TD]

[TD=align: right]30.63[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by NBZ
Problem disappeared.

Hello to all;

I have just tried to use the rover controller and it 'seems' to be working differently than it used to...

I have MJ 387.

When selecting speed control and setting 3 m/s, the speed just keeps on climbing to 18 to 21 m/s.

Has anyone else seen this.

I am in the process of testing with simplified ksp with minimal other mods. I will be posting logs soon.

I just wanted to ask if this has been seen prior?? I have used Rover before, and never before with this outcome.

thanks.

Hello to all;

I have just tried to use the rover controller and it 'seems' to be working differently than it used to...

I have MJ 387.

When selecting speed control and setting 3 m/s, the speed just keeps on climbing to 18 to 21 m/s.

Has anyone else seen this.

I am in the process of testing with simplified ksp with minimal other mods. I will be posting logs soon.

I just wanted to ask if this has been seen prior?? I have used Rover before, and never before with this outcome.

thanks.

I also have this problem, what other mods do you have connected to your rover? I have MSI,Lazer,B-9 and stock

You can zoom with the scroll wheel, it works well near the edge.

It is complicated to make the zoom work when you leave the plot area, and I don't want to add more buttons, textboxes or menus.

If you have requirements for the arrival date, there is the limited time mode that does exactly the same calculations and accepts text input.

I've tried the scroll zoom and always end up the zoomed left edge as 20-50 days away from the current date, when I know that the left edge was originally only a few hours away. Hence my frustration with the porkchop plot showing me a much wider area then what I want. I'm not really interested in a transfer node that is 500+ days away - because if I do set a maneuver node that is so far in the future, it will be inaccurate by the time it rolls around.

If I could use the arrow keys to pan the zoomed in area left - that would work.

If I could use the mouse to drag the zoomed in area right - that would work.

Or a configuration file setting or some other way to set the maximum future date in a porkchop plot.

Can anyone tell me how well MechJeb can handle autopiloting a rendezvous with an asteroid? Long term plan is to use a class E as the center of an OKS base and I have not bothered with asteroids before.

Can anyone tell me how well MechJeb can handle autopiloting a rendezvous with an asteroid? Long term plan is to use a class E as the center of an OKS base and I have not bothered with asteroids before.

It handles it the same as any other target you might try to intercept or rendezvous with whether it's in the same SOI or heliocentric space.