[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I think that was it MaHuJa. Thanks for the tip I could not find the logic. You know i did a fresh restart 3 times over that issue? :-)

@sadron: you're selling yourself short i find 2.0 way more usable than 1.9.8. Seriously bite the bullet you'll thank yourself later!

Trying to get the windows to work with me though isn't going well... I hit the arrows to go through the different presets but there's no button for me to just put that preset into the custom window. That's why I uninstalled it, it just wasn't cooperative. Sorry but its unintuitive nature put me off, I'll stick with 1.9.8 until 2.0 has less flaming hoops to jump through.

You can do this already, IF you are heading for something that orbits the body you are launching from (eg: launching from Kerbin, to Minmus).

(sorry, I do not have KSP up right now, so doing this from memory)

* in the Assent window, type in 47000 (minmus's altitude) as your desired alt.

* perform a test launch. this is needed for MJ2 to calculate a "launch angle". let MJ run the entire sequence, until you have a circ orbit at 47000km. don't hit the mun.

* End Flight, and RESTART flight.

* Set Minmus as your target

* set 47000 as your desired altitude

* (note, now there is an accurate launch angle listed in the bottom of the window)

* Do NOT click Launch to plane.

* Click Launch to Reoudevou (I know it is spelled wrong). AND then click Enable (the button at the top of the window).

* as long as you don't hit Mun on the way by, everything will be ok.

* after you are 1/2 to 2/3's of the way there, you should see an Encounter with Minmus.

Plan your Minmus Circ, or what ever you like.

If instead you meant planet to planet (Kerbin launch directly to Duna orbit, all automated)... then er... no. MJ does not do that in 'one step' currently.

I was actually talking about the direct launch to, say, Jool. It would really have no altitude, as you would be exiting Kerbin orbit with the launch directly. I would like to see this implemented in Mechjeb, if its possible.

Also, thanks for the info on getting a direct launch to Mun or Minmus.

Trying to get the windows to work with me though isn't going well... I hit the arrows to go through the different presets but there's no button for me to just put that preset into the custom window. That's why I uninstalled it, it just wasn't cooperative. Sorry but its unintuitive nature put me off, I'll stick with 1.9.8 until 2.0 has less flaming hoops to jump through.

What? The custom window setup is easy. You hit the arrows on the bottom until you get to 'orbit info', then push it and up pops the orbit window preset. Then you use the buttons on the top of the custom window editor to select the orbit info window, and then scroll through and click the items you want to add or remove. If you couldn't figure this out on your own... ouch.

The real problem is that the effing thing doesn't save the windows.

The real problem is that the effing thing doesn't save the windows.

That right there is all I'll need to know. Never touching 2.0 until the thing doesn't suck.

ok, I just have to ask... "for those people that use the Custom Windows", and thus have the issue that MJ isn't saving them....

Just what are you Customizeing about these windows in the first place? I am asking because I don't see a thing I wish to change about the 'stock' information in the first place. I am asking because I don't want to be missing things that I don't even know I want.

MechJeb 2 has worked very well for me, except the rover autopilot. It on rare occasions works but only for a short range, heading controls go all hey-wire and the rover starts driving in circles, speed control works even less often for me.

Also someone brought this point up a few pages ago but gravity slinging would be a nice option for future mechjeb in which it can be ask to find the right launch trajectory to fly by a moon or planet and use the gravity of that world reduce or gain speed towards a final target. Of course that would be very calculation intensive because it has to look at the orbits of 3 bodies (target world, intermediary world and the ship) that and the wait for many worlds to line up for a swing would by a long one: the voyager program took advantage of a once in 500 line up of the outerplanets, Galileo though used several rather crazy swings passed venus then earth again to get to Jupiter with very little fuel consumption.

Oddly enough, MJ2 saves all my windows just fine...

Same here. For anybody having the "MJ2 is not saving my windows" problem I'd suggest deleting MJ2 entirely (including the MJ2 plugin data folder) and reinstalling the latest dev build.

Alright, I'm enjoying MJ2, but I've run into a problem. When using the autoland's Land at Target, the status gets stuck at "Executing low orbit plane change of about 0m/s," and I just keep orbiting the Mun (which I'm trying to land on). Am I doing something wrong? I'm in a ~20km circular orbit around the mun, that helps. Is this a bug? Should I report it on the github page? Or is this somehow user error?

EDIT: Ok, so apparently a 20km orbit is too close for MJ to handle. I tried at about 106km, and it worked. Sort of. I'm also getting the whole "spinning out of control" thing. MJ regains its senses if I do Abort and activate the autopilot. And boy, that Rover autopilot doesn't work at ALL!

Edited by Malachai

For anybody having the "MJ2 is not saving my windows" problem I'd suggest deleting MJ2 entirely (including the MJ2 plugin data folder) and reinstalling the latest dev build.

Just tried this and it seems to have fixed the problem of windows not saving. I wonder if the preset file gets corrupted somehow when KSP crashes. Anyway, thanks for the tip!

Do you have a problem with MehcJeb 2.0.7 that It won't autowarp time to time?

Sometimes MechJeb "calculates" routes very very long time, having to wait for about several minutes before warping. ie. Rendezvouz mode does not even have "auto warp" button.

I think that it's not my processor, it's Core i5 750, clocked @ 4,35Ghz.

787 install the latest dev build, OR turn off the joke module in the settings. It should be off by default in the newer versions but everything from 2.0.4 I think gives you the option to turn it off.

I have a few suggestions that I think would really round out the package.

Interface

---------------------------

- Allow windows to be 'minimized'. They shrink down to their title bar when minimized. Or, allow them to be super-minimized into a small icon (like the ISA Mapsat cartography icon, or the chatterer microphone).

- Allow minimized windows to be pop-open capable on mouse-over. This way I can keep a feature like the Translatron easy to access, but hidden for the times I don't need to be concerned with it. Simply mouse over the title bar or the icon and it pops open, then select what I want. When I move the mouse off of the window, it snaps shut a second or two later.

- Adjustable window opacity (separate for window background and text?)

- Similar to the KSP settings, how about a 'small / medium / large' interface size option? The Smart ASS and Translatron windows are extremely huge relative to their number of inputs.

- A simple sound of a small button being pushed (nothing like a loud typewriter 'clack', more like the sound of pushing a TV remote button) when inputting text to a field, to draw attention to times where a text field has control which is why your rocket won't do what you say.

RCS Module

I'm a little surprised after the comments in MJ1 that this isn't a feature (or isn't a feature yet). I can think of a few things that you could stick in here.

- Smart RCS rotation. Similar to the smart translation, this one works sort of like a KillRot module that simply doesn't KillRot in the planes of rotation that you tell it to. If I have a poorly-balanced RCS system and I tell it to pitch up, often times it'll induce some sort of uncommanded roll. With a KillRot that ignores my pitch command, it would compensate for the roll (perhaps in conjunction with an 'overdrive' system ala Smart Translation) and thus pitch properly.

- RCS limiter. An overall master limit of RCS thrust. Simply serves as a percentage of RCS output (overdriven RCS nozzles would still overgenerate thrust, just based on the lower master RCS values). This way I could command RCS to always be using very delicate bursts.

- Similar to above, but an RCS limit in mono-propellant burned per second.

- Rotation limits. If the craft is rotating above a specified number of radians per minute, it stops applying input (specifically, spending RCS fuel) and allows the craft to drift into position. It seems fairly wasteful to have a lightweight probe spewing out gallons of monopropellant to turn around as fast as it can, when just a quick burst and a drift would accomplish the goal just fine while conserving RCS fuel.

Maneuver Node Planner Improvements

- Allow maneuver nodes to be saved. While it would be nice if maneuver nodes would stay between switching ships, it doesn't seem like it's a "feature" that will be fixed anytime soon. This could also allow us to save a node, then experiment with another without having to lose our first one.

Edited by Frostiken

ok, I just have to ask... "for those people that use the Custom Windows", and thus have the issue that MJ isn't saving them....

Just what are you Customizeing about these windows in the first place? I am asking because I don't see a thing I wish to change about the 'stock' information in the first place. I am asking because I don't want to be missing things that I don't even know I want.

It's not a matter of filling out the windows, it's spending two minutes reopening the windows and dragging them all from the top left to where I like them, then setting up the custom windows again and putting THOSE where I like them. I go through this like 50% of the time. It always seems to happen when I have two docked MJ2 ships and launch one (like a probe from a mothership). Whichever ship the game autofocuses on will retain the MJ2 windows, the other one lost all its ****ing settings.

For r4m0n and the_duck, is there a way to add more Error into the Circularize command, at least in the AP modules, the orbits they make are so twitchy that proceeding maneuver nodes bounce all over the damned place. Auto Rendezvous for example, if my orbit isn't exactly so it will recircularize and make it so bloody twitchy that all the nodes it sets down bounce so much that even a tiny 1 second or less blast of Rcs makes them dance halfway around the nav ball.

I have a request for you guys also, with regards to spaceplanes. As it is currently, allowing mechjeb to manage air intakes works great, except when you finally turn off your jet engine(s) the air intakes stay open. What id like to see is mechjeb close all intakes if there are no active jet engines. It will free up one of our limited action groups for something else!

Oh and, add the "Roll" field to Orbital SASS too please!!

Edited by HoY