[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

So MJ seems to now be only semi-functional for me.

- The "Delta-V Stats" window gives no information whatsoever in flight. Works just fine in the VAB.

- The "Vessel Info" window displays null values for all fields in flight. Works just fine in the VAB.

- When using the maneuver planner, any option requiring a target fails with messaging indicating that I do not have a target selected. Maneuvers that do not depend on having a target selected in the map work just fine.

- The automatic execution of maneuver nodes does not function at all; all it does is turn off SAS. No warp, no maneuvering, nothing.

- Similarly to the above, auto-warp does not function at all.

- Ascent guidance does not auto-stage.

I am using 2.3.1. I've also tried it with the dev build. The last time I can confirm it worked was the last time I played, which was some months ago, so I'm not sure exactly where it broke.

Mods used: NEAR, Deadly Reentry, Procedural Fairings, RealChute, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, DebRefund, Coherent Contracts, Aligned Currency Indicator, Science Alert.

EDIT: Using Windows, have tried with both 32- and 64-bit versions. I don't have permission to post attachments, will work on this so I can post the log.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

Career or sandbox mode?

Will this take a SSTO off?

Depends on how your plane is built. Once you get wheels off the runway, Ascent Guidance will quickly tip the plane straight up, which tends to bang the tail on the runway and knock pieces off. Manual takeoffs and getting some air underneath are generally good things.

The faster you can gain altitude, the less fuel the plane will use. I modified a couple of the stock planes to go to space and tried altering the stock MJ ascent profile with a really low turn start and a flat curve. Figured perhaps a slower climb on jets might save oxidizer later.

Ran out of fuel. Following the default curve it worked. One plane is the one with four of the regular jet engines. I swapped the outer pair with the more powerful jets and the inner pair with rapiers. Some oxidizer tanks made with the Stretchy SRB mod plus some of the pill shaped oxy tanks (IIRC from KSPX?) mounted underneath gave the rapiers enough to work with to get to low orbit, then deorbit.

273 seems to have broken Maneuver Planner. I couldn't chose anything on it, and when I tried to close and reopen it, it was just a blank window :(

As I did big changes in the code it is not unexpected.

I have tested the dev build from Jenkins on my machine and it works correctly, do you have an error in the logs ?

You can search for something like Operation or MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner.

SmartASS doesn't do anything for me and I get no DeltaV-values in flight. I'm on the latest stable and a Mac.

Might give the Dev release a try.

I had the same problem as you do now.

I had to remove the mechjeb Far extension for it to start working again MEchjeb2->plugins-> MechJebFARExt.dll

I had the same problem as you do now.

I had to remove the mechjeb Far extension for it to start working again MEchjeb2->plugins-> MechJebFARExt.dll

Sounds like something I could try. Since I used the newly released version of the FAR module i thought i was on the safe side. Thank you!

Yup, the FAR extensions are broken for me too, has also been reported in the FAR thread, I take it you're getting stuff like:

FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'FerramAerospaceResearch, Version=0.14.1.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

at MuMech.VesselState.Update (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

There have been updates to FAR in the last few days...

273 seems to have broken Maneuver Planner. I couldn't chose anything on it, and when I tried to close and reopen it, it was just a blank window :(

logs man, logs!

Don't worry, I get this too, so I'll do it for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvovs046nyz34kh/Player.log

Linux x86_64 v0.24.2

Relevant? snip

ArgumentException: Getting control 1's position in a group with only 1 controls when doing Repaint
Aborting
at UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUIGridSizer.GetRect (UnityEngine.GUIContent[] contents, Int32 xCount, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUILayout.SelectionGrid (Int32 selected, UnityEngine.GUIContent[] contents, Int32 xCount, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUILayout.SelectionGrid (Int32 selected, System.String[] texts, Int32 xCount, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MuMech.GuiUtils.ComboBox (Int32 selectedItem, System.Boolean& menuActive, System.String[] entries) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MuMech.MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: 4294967295)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at UnityEngine.GUILayoutEntry.ApplyStyleSettings (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUIGridSizer..ctor (UnityEngine.GUIContent[] contents, Int32 _xCount, UnityEngine.GUIStyle buttonStyle, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUIGridSizer.GetRect (UnityEngine.GUIContent[] contents, Int32 xCount, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUILayout.SelectionGrid (Int32 selected, UnityEngine.GUIContent[] contents, Int32 xCount, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUILayout.SelectionGrid (Int32 selected, System.String[] texts, Int32 xCount, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MuMech.GuiUtils.ComboBox (Int32 selectedItem, System.Boolean& menuActive, System.String[] entries) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MuMech.MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by steve_v
That log is kinda large

Yup, the FAR extensions are broken for me too, has also been reported in the FAR thread, I take it you're getting stuff like:

FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'FerramAerospaceResearch, Version=0.14.1.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

at MuMech.VesselState.Update (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

There have been updates to FAR in the last few days...

Exactly. Had the same issue, posted it in the FAR thread. Ferram figured out that it was the FAR MechJeb module which is causing problems.

Relevant?

Totaly ! The list content changed between the first and second pass. xytovl may not be used to the "awesomeness" of Unity GUI : onGUI is called twice per frame, first for layout and then for actual display. You get that error if the number of elements change between the 2 pass.

mecki : I most likely compiled against the wrong version... Damn I ll have to apologize to Ferram for miking his life harder again.

mecki : I most likely compiled against the wrong version... Damn I ll have to apologize to Ferram for miking his life harder again.

;-)

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to a new version of the module. Maybe even a complete version some day (ascent, landing, reentry :-B)

Something completely different: Is there a way to set an "Orbital Period" in maneuver planner? I'm setting up some satellites for RemoteTech2 for the first time and thought I could use MechJeb to have them synchronized in the end. Am I overseeing something or is this just not implemented?

Feature request:

Gravitational slingshot, gravity assist maneuver, or swing-by.

Should include minimum safe altitude, and slingshot via object x to object y.

Perhaps even more objects if they are aligned in the required places.

logs man, logs!

Don't worry, I get this too, so I'll do it for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvovs046nyz34kh/Player.log

Linux x86_64 v0.24.2

Relevant? snip

ArgumentException: Getting control 1's position in a group with only 1 controls when doing Repaint
Aborting
at UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at UnityEngine.GUILayoutEntry.ApplyStyleSettings (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUIGridSizer..ctor (UnityEngine.GUIContent[] contents, Int32 _xCount, UnityEngine.GUIStyle buttonStyle, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Yup. Sorry I did a drive-by complaint and moved on. I was in the middle of doing stuff and just reverted back to 270 to save time.

I too use Linux 64bit 0.24.2 so I suspect your log looks like mine would have, if I would have saved it :)

Totaly ! The list content changed between the first and second pass. xytovl may not be used to the "awesomeness" of Unity GUI : onGUI is called twice per frame, first for layout and then for actual display. You get that error if the number of elements change between the 2 pass.

The number of elements in the list can't change between calls, it is a member and is initialized by the constructor and never changed.

I guess the issue is the autodetection of Operation classes, I will try to reproduce and submit a fix as soon as possible.

Don't know if its just my PC being buggy, but I've noticed that the Limit to Terminal Velocity function of the ascent guidance isn't working. Just launched a ship. 5k up, so terminal velocity is about 163m/s. Yet MJ has me at 442 and climbing. Anyone experienced this?

Yeah, just added FAR. I assume that's the culprit?

Yes - MechJeb assumes stock values for drag, terminal velocity etc.. everything to do with atmospheric flight. FAR (and probably NEAR) zeros out stock drag and applies its own so MJ sees zero drag and thinks 'ooh, no drag! Infinite terminal V!'. There is a FAR extension for MJ but it hasn't been updated yet.

Basically, don't even bother opening MJ when you're in atmo and have FAR/NEAR installed. The autopilot functions are based off of something that now doesn't exist.

I don't know if this is already known or not, but it's possible to work around at least one version of the no-gui glitch.

I figured this out after the glitch persisted after I re-installed KSP via Steam, started KSP with MechJeb2 as my only mod.

I had MechJeb-related files in "Kerbal Space Program/Plugins". I deleted all of the contents of "Kerbal Space Program/Plugins" and ran Kerbal Space Program with MechJeb2 as my only mod, and found that the GUI worked. Then I added my large stack of mods back, and tried again, and it still worked.

I just checked "Kerbal Space Program/Plugins" and it contains no MechJeb2-related files.

I'm now using MechJeb dev build 270. (That's the version this work-around worked for).

I used the 2.3.1 release when I re-installed KSP.

I'm running KSP 32-bit on Windows 8.1 Pro(64-bit).

I didn't check the KSP directory after my uninstall via Steam, so I'm not sure where the files in "Plugins" were from, why they were there, or why they aren't there now, but my MechJeb works now, and maybe this will help someone else.

I don't know if this is already known or not, but it's possible to work around at least one version of the no-gui glitch.

I figured this out after the glitch persisted after I re-installed KSP via Steam, started KSP with MechJeb2 as my only mod.

I had MechJeb-related files in "Kerbal Space Program/Plugins". I deleted all of the contents of "Kerbal Space Program/Plugins" and ran Kerbal Space Program with MechJeb2 as my only mod, and found that the GUI worked. Then I added my large stack of mods back, and tried again, and it still worked.

I just checked "Kerbal Space Program/Plugins" and it contains no MechJeb2-related files.

I'm now using MechJeb dev build 270. (That's the version this work-around worked for).

I used the 2.3.1 release when I re-installed KSP.

I'm running KSP 32-bit on Windows 8.1 Pro(64-bit).

I didn't check the KSP directory after my uninstall via Steam, so I'm not sure where the files in "Plugins" were from, why they were there, or why they aren't there now, but my MechJeb works now, and maybe this will help someone else.

Yes, nothing mod related should be going anywhere but GameData these days in their own mod folders. the plugins, resources, plugindata, internals or parts off of the main KSP folder are legacy from the old days. I've accidentally put things in them recently and KSP didnt work properly when I did. they shouldnt be used anymore.