[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

OMFG! This changes everything. Everything, I tell you!

No way! NO WAY!!

Seriously? This isn't some early April Fools gag for next year?? Because if it is..... OOooooo you will be in so much trouble! Must have this......

Edit: Ooops, not you, I replied to the wrong thing. :blush:

ksp 0.24.2 DEV #324

every time i use anything with MJ this pops up

ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.mouseUp

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type LayoutType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

logs

hope it helps

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s00kxhy9ze56ah2/MJ_Logs.rar?dl=0

ksp 0.24.2 DEV #324

every time i use anything with MJ this pops up

ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.mouseUp

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type LayoutType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

logs

hope it helps

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s00kxhy9ze56ah2/MJ_Logs.rar?dl=0

The error has been present for many releases, but was silently ignored before, here is the change (I have been working with Meumeu on this patch :) ):

- operation[operationId].DoParametersGUI(o, UT, core.target);
+ try
+ {
+ operation[operationId].DoParametersGUI(o, UT, core.target);
+ }
+ catch(Exception e)
+ {
+ Debug.Log(e.Message + "\n" + e.StackTrace);
+ }

With the combobox and the porkchop, state used to draw the window may change between Unity events and there will be a different set of controls between the Layout, Repaint or any input event. This triggers an exception that will make window drawing fail for one frame.

We have made some changes to make it happen less often but I don't see how to really fix it.

Hot damn! That looks like the porkchop plotter from TriggerAU's Transfer Window Planner, which is itself based on AlexMoon's web tool. But the addition of automatic node creation is fantastic!

It is partly based on AlexMoon's web tool, but takes nothing from TriggerAU's code, because the licence did not allow it to be integrated when we wrote it.

A couple of questions on how it works:

Does it use a proper Lambert solver and take inclination and eccentricity into account?

It uses the Lambert solver already present in Mechjeb to compute the interplanetary part. The ejection maneuver takes orbit inclination and eccentricity into account, then an optimizer is used on the selected point which even takes moons and other planets into account.

Can you choose a non-optimal transfer by point-and-click on the plot (looks like it, but not sure)?

Of course you can.

You can navigate on the plut with a drag and drop selection to zoom in, or scroll wheel to woom in and out.

It also has other modes, or the ability to add them. At the moment you have a "limited time" option, that will calculate the cheapest maneuver to reach the target before the date. It is perfect for BTSM rescue missions when life support is low, or when contracts are about to expire.

One of my planned features is the "exact deltav", which would calculate a maneuver that goes to the planet with exactly a predefined burn so you can use boosters in orbit !

Does it automatically use your current orbit as the initial orbit in the calcs?

It does, as well as the current target.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but this is a very exciting feature addition.

We are excited too by that release, we have been working on it for a month or so. The initial maneuver planner change has been done with this feature in mind, we could not have done it with the old code.

On the details part, the calculation is heavily multithreaded and should take advantage of up to hundreds of CPU cores. On single or dual core machines it may take some time to calculate, if many people have performance issues we may add a degraded mode where it computes less points in order to gain time.

Edited by xytovl

Any chance we can get the menus in maneuver planner back the way they were where we could scroll left and right. The pull down menu stinks (IMHO)

And to add my own opinion, I don't think it stinks and it should not go back to the way it was.

IMNSHO

it could use tweaking though.Darken the menu overlay as it does in other parts of MJ where it is also implemented.

Ok could someone explain this new Porkchop feature that everyone is excited about whats the coloured window for, also I prefered the old menu's as well I find the drop down a little confusing looking for things but I can live with it. Or if its not difficult offer classic or new View

Edited by Virtualgenius

Ok could someone explain this new Porkchop feature that everyone is excited about whats the coloured window for, also I prefered the old menu's as well I find the drop down a little confusing looking for things but I can live with it

Basically, this is meant to replace the old boring interplanetary transfer maneuver. Instead of doing a Hohmann transfer, it shows a plot of all possible transfers (within a reasonable period) and their deltaV, the cheapest transfer is selected by default but you can pick another one if you're in a hurry: the X axis is the departure date and the Y axis is the transfer duration, the exact values for the dates and the deltaV are shown under the plot. Also because it actually uses the Lambert solver, the transfer actually reaches the target instead of requiring a course correction.

Any chance we can get the menus in maneuver planner back the way they were where we could scroll left and right. The pull down menu stinks (IMHO)

Just for a counter vote: hooray for the pulldown menu. No more endless clicking just to switch between two modes.

it could use tweaking though.Darken the menu overlay as it does in other parts of MJ where it is also implemented.

It's less dark for the maneuver planner ? I'll darken it a bit more.

Ok could someone explain this new Porkchop feature that everyone is excited about whats the coloured window for

Like this: http://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/

It provides a graphical representation of the speed and efficiency of interplanetary transfers at any time desired. No more waiting for transfer windows if you don't want to.

Ok could someone explain this new Porkchop feature that everyone is excited about whats the coloured window for

It's a tool for planning interplanetary transfers. The porkchop plot shows departure date on the x-axis and transfer time on the y-axis, with the colors representing delta-V cost. The closer to the red end of the spectrum, the higher the cost; the closer to the blue end, the lower the cost. Until recently, use of an external tool like this one was required to get a porkchop plot, it is a big step forward to have this data available in-game and easily translated into a maneuver node.

Official are done after a new KSP release. So wait for .25

And as far as I know it's not a thing anymore, we fixed the problem that made Dev build break with RPM.

Love the new porkchop feature, but can you add some kind of indicator for a selected point?

Also, mouse wheel zoom also zooms map, and the porkchop pic is click-through (i.e. if some object is behind it in map view - target menu comes up).

It's less dark for the maneuver planner ? I'll darken it a bit more.

I'm not sure I'm describing it properly... there's just something about it that doesn't look as nice as it does on other menus... I'll go take a another look and do some proper comparisons

Dear dev(s), would you be so kind to draw something like an arrow pointing down on the new "drop down menu" buttons? Or maybe another symbol, or something else, just to make them look a little different than usual "instant action" buttons. IMHO it would be very convenient and not too difficult to implement.

Added to dev :

- Mouse locking while over a MJ windows. You should not be able to select or zoom the camera with the mouse wheel while over MJ. This let you zoom with the wheel over the porkchop without messing up your view.

- Option to revert to the arrow selector. In the Settings panel

- Darkened the drop down menu a bit

- merged some patch that I missed/forgot. Sorry to their dev for the wait :

- bk2w maneuver to "change surface longitude of apsis"

- Wetmelon "Add EQ DN and EQ AN to Apoapsis maneuver"

Edit :

I added the arrows asked by fairytalefox and hided the exception.

xytovl : I have an idea for the exception. I ll look into it this weekend if I have the time.

Edited by sarbian

Hi I apreaciate all the work everyone has done on mechjeb.

I have some questions if someone has a moment.

My first question is when using way points for the rover auto pilot the KSP.log gets spammed with 2 msgs about 46 times a second.

[LOG 20:20:00.046] [MechJeb2] No icon for Rover_Waypoints_-_Distance__64_05_km_-_ETA__4d_11h_28m_15s

[LOG 20:20:00.093] [MechJeb2] Adding button for Rover_Waypoints_-_Distance__64_05_km_-_ETA__4d_11h_26m_58s

This causes the game to crash if I let it run for awhile, both with the dll from today and the one from last week as well.

I was wondering if I'm having a unique problem? or Is there a way to suppress the logging to the KSP.log?

I know My install is ok.

I've just started using mechjeb again. So maybe I missed something (extra icons or something).

I also have another observation with the waypoints, Once I place them, the green BDarmory targeting recticles disappear until I restart KSP. I'm just mentioning it in case there is a conflict between BDArmory and mechjeb.

I'm sorry I dont have main log to post -I turned it off for a bit of performance when I done was debugging everything else. I Use Firesplitter, ATM, blizzy's toolbar, tac fuel balancer, and Bdarmory.

So I guess my question in a nutshell is if some one could check those 2 things and let me know if they get either of those problems, or I need to remove mechjeb from my install for awhile.

I understand if everyone is short on time, but if anyone takes a tank out for a spin and happens to to remember, it be a big help to me and my "w" pushing finger.

-thanks all

Basically, this is meant to replace the old boring interplanetary transfer maneuver. Instead of doing a Hohmann transfer, it shows a plot of all possible transfers (within a reasonable period) and their deltaV, the cheapest transfer is selected by default but you can pick another one if you're in a hurry: the X axis is the departure date and the Y axis is the transfer duration, the exact values for the dates and the deltaV are shown under the plot. Also because it actually uses the Lambert solver, the transfer actually reaches the target instead of requiring a course correction.

This improves the calculation of the transfer orbit injection maneuver node, but you will still likely need a course correction. I imagine MechJeb2 still isn't doing a power-track calculation, that is calculating the accelerated track under thrust on your spacecraft flying the node. It's still likely assuming the maneuver is a point impulse to change the orbit.

So, as usual, check to see if you need a course correction after every long burn and SoI change.