[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Noticed strange thing in man. planner (still using build 218):

When closest approach to target time is, say, 6h (according to MJ's info) and I use match velocities at closest approach in maneuver planner, it adds node not in 6h, but in 1d and something, which surely makes me miss target if I'm not careful.

P.S. I guess it was already mentioned that MJ doesn't count targeted asteroid's COM as target, but I'll repeat just in case :)

Edited by Mystique

Noticed strange thing in man. planner (still using build 218):

When closest approach to target time is, say, 6h (according to MJ's info) and I use match velocities at closest approach in maneuver planner, it adds node not in 6h, but in 1d and something, which surely makes me miss target if I'm not careful.

Isn't 6 hrs equal to one Kerbin day? Could be some kind of conflict between MJ using earth time and the nodes displaying Kerbin time.

Isn't 6 hrs equal to one Kerbin day? Could be some kind of conflict between MJ using earth time and the nodes displaying Kerbin time.

Don't think so. I was intercepting asteroid and was crossing 2 points of its trajectory - first "virtual" - on part after it should've hit Kerbin and only 2nd when asteroid was still actually on its way to Kerbin. So after I paseed first intersection with its trajectory, MJ started to work pretty fine. Maybe it was because of complicated and sharp rendezvous conditions, I'll test more.

KSP seems to crash very frequently now for me when I use MechJeb. It was really stable in 0.23.0. I have KSP v0.23.5.464 with the latest dev build (221) and I'm crashing a lot. I had Kerbal Alarm installed, but have already removed it with no changes.

The crashes mostly happen on scene changes such as reverting to the SPH/VAB or launching a craft. It also seems especially prone to crash if I recently visited the R&D facility. I also crash a lot when recovering Kerbals in career mode.

Hopefully someone has a suggestion for this. I went back several pages and couldn't find anyone mentioning crashes, so I apologize if this has been covered recently.

EDIT: I should say I use MJ mostly for information purposes and not the autopilot functionality. So I don't think this is tied to a particular mode.

Edited by Claw

KSP seems to crash very frequently now for me when I use MechJeb. It was really stable in 0.23.0. I have KSP v0.23.5.464 with the latest dev build (221) and I'm crashing a lot. I had Kerbal Alarm installed, but have already removed it with no changes.

The crashes mostly happen on scene changes such as reverting to the SPH/VAB or launching a craft. It also seems especially prone to crash if I recently visited the R&D facility. I also crash a lot when recovering Kerbals in career mode.

Hopefully someone has a suggestion for this. I went back several pages and couldn't find anyone mentioning crashes, so I apologize if this has been covered recently.

EDIT: I should say I use MJ mostly for information purposes and not the autopilot functionality. So I don't think this is tied to a particular mode.

If you're running windows 7/8/8.1 go into control panel (icon view, not category) and click administrative tools. Double-click event viewer, on the left side there is a pane it will have a folder called, "Custom views," open it, there should be a selection called 'administrative events.' Left click that and you should see a list of 'events.' Check them, sounds like you're having display adapter/driver issues.

EDIT: I too have been seeing some issues, not crashes as you say, but the screen will freeze and then resume. This seems to happen when I switch from map view to ship view while under warp. Can't say for certain as I haven't had time to test it more thoroughly. My issue does not appear to be related to hardware or drivers as I have run Heaven benchmark for thirty minutes without a display adapter hiccup. Seems to be KSP itself.

Edited by daawgees

If you're running windows 7/8/8.1 go into control panel (icon view, not category) and click administrative tools. Double-click event viewer, on the left side there is a pane it will have a folder called, "Custom views," open it, there should be a selection called administrative events.' Left click that and you should see a list of 'events.' Check them, sounds like you're having display adapter/driver issues.

EDIT: I too have been seeing some issues, not crashes as you say, but the screen will freeze and then resume. This seems to happen when I switch from map view to ship view while under warp. Can't say for certain as I haven't had time to test it more thoroughly. My issue does not appear to be related to hardware or drivers as I have run Heaven benchmark for thirty minutes without a display adapter hiccup. Seems to be KSP itself.

Well thanks for the suggestion. I found the log as you described. Unfortunately, there are no video card related events in there. In fact, the only events in there are related to my network and are from several hours ago.

I should have added that I can run Stock KSP fine. It does not crash in the same way as KSP + MechJeb (it has it's own brand of crashing). I was also able to run MJ + KSP 0.23.0 just fine. My crashes now are roughly 1 out of every 5 or so reverts or craft recoveries. Sadly the event log isn't really grabbing anything specific.

Is there something new/unusual about recent MJ graphics? I see there are some icons now for the tool bar and I had to install MJ slightly differently than in the past. Is it possible I've messed up the install? MJ itself seems to function fine in-game aside from the crashing.

Well thanks for the suggestion. I found the log as you described. Unfortunately, there are no video card related events in there. In fact, the only events in there are related to my network and are from several hours ago.

I should have added that I can run Stock KSP fine. It does not crash in the same way as KSP + MechJeb (it has it's own brand of crashing). I was also able to run MJ + KSP 0.23.0 just fine. My crashes now are roughly 1 out of every 5 or so reverts or craft recoveries. Sadly the event log isn't really grabbing anything specific.

Is there something new/unusual about recent MJ graphics? I see there are some icons now for the tool bar and I had to install MJ slightly differently than in the past. Is it possible I've messed up the install? MJ itself seems to function fine in-game aside from the crashing.

Interesting that the event log didn't have anything in there. Odd, very odd. Not sure why you would install MJ any different than in the past. I've always put it in the game data folder of my KSP directory. If you're saying that MJ + KSP worked fine as of .23 then there's probably just some issue with the newest dev build and I'm sure that Sarbian will get to it when he can.

EDIT: Video card logs will be listed as 'display' under the 'source' column of the event viewer. If you already knew this then I apologize in advance for the assumption.

Interesting that the event log didn't have anything in there. Odd, very odd. Not sure why you would install MJ any different than in the past. I've always put it in the game data folder of my KSP directory. If you're saying that MJ + KSP worked fine as of .23 then there's probably just some issue with the newest dev build and I'm sure that Sarbian will get to it when he can.

EDIT: Video card logs will be listed as 'display' under the 'source' column of the event viewer. If you already knew this then I apologize in advance for the assumption.

You know, now that you mention the display issues. I've noticed that with KSP + MJ, the clickable area on the buttons doesn't really line up correctly (I have to click low) and sometimes the text (such as the clock time) aren't in the correct place. So perhaps you are correct in that it's a graphics issue. Maybe just not a card issue.

I'll try fiddling with the UI. I found another UI bug (unrelated to MJ) that might be getting triggered more often with MJ installed.

Thanks!

EDIT: On my 0.23.0 KSP, once MJ was acting stable I sort of stopped updating it. I was too afraid of breaking it. :P

Oh yeah, and I sorted the event list like you said. I have zero display faults out of the 11,000 events logged.

Edited by Claw

You know, now that you mention the display issues. I've noticed that with KSP + MJ, the clickable area on the buttons doesn't really line up correctly (I have to click low) and sometimes the text (such as the clock time) aren't in the correct place. So perhaps you are correct in that it's a graphics issue. Maybe just not a card issue.

I'll try fiddling with the UI. I found another UI bug (unrelated to MJ) that might be getting triggered more often with MJ installed.

Thanks!

No problem, I like assisting with tech issues when I can. Helps me study.

EDIT: Far as the 'clicking' issue...I've never run the game in a window and I always run it at my monitor's native resolution (1920x1080). That being said, only way I could see what you're describing is if somehow the game's resolution didn't match your monitor's.

Edited by daawgees

No problem, I like assisting with tech issues when I can. Helps me study.

EDIT: Far as the 'clicking' issue...I've never run the game in a window and I always run it at my monitor's native resolution (1920x1080). That being said, only way I could see what you're describing is if somehow the game's resolution didn't match your monitor's.

I've noticed a bug with 0.23.5 running at max resolution (same as yours) and using the HUGE UI. When I get a chance, I'll see if that's the problem (as I'm guessing it is).

Thanks for the help.

I've noticed a bug with 0.23.5 running at max resolution (same as yours) and using the HUGE UI. When I get a chance, I'll see if that's the problem (as I'm guessing it is).

Thanks for the help.

What is this bug?

EDIT: I believe I'm using "Largish"

Did some more tests based on something Galane said. I rebuilt my station, a two part fuel depot in Munar orbit. Part 1 lab and observation module with some small clamp-o-tron and large solar panels. Part 2, four 1.5m fuel tanks and 4 clamp-o-trons. The two ends have large clamp-o-trons. They docked w/o issue. Perfect!

Rebuilt a simple two kerbal lander can with a clamp-o-tron on top. "No joy" on docking. Mechjeb oriented then moved to 0.00 starting point. Switched to moving toward dock, but never really did. kept moving until it lost lock on port about 100m away. Lander was as balanced and symmetrical as I could build it, so that isn't the problem. It seems that MechJeb is having a problem with small docking ports (I haven't tried the stock Jrs.). KSO docking ports are "no joy," too (I;ve only played with the KSO "Resolute" with docking tug - pretty cool ship).

Should always clear out the GameData\PluginData\MechJeb2 folder when updating the MechJeb DLL or updating KSP.

I've already done that. I've also deleted and reinstalled MJ multiple times as well as redownloaded in case it was corrupted in someway. The crashes are happening on brand new save games in career and sandbox.

In any case, I messed with my GUI a bit which fixed some things. The game still crashed but at least the log gave more info this time.

In case this means anything to you MJ gurus out there.

[HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From FLIGHT to EDITOR =====================

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

[Orbit Targeter]: Target is null

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[Part,MuMech.FuelNode].Add (.Part key, MuMech.FuelNode value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[Part,Part,FuelNode] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 keySelector, System.Func`2 elementSelector, IEqualityComparer`1 comparer) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[Part,Part,FuelNode] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 keySelector, System.Func`2 elementSelector) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation..ctor (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parts, Boolean dVLinearThrust) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.StartSimulation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.TryStartSimulation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.RequestUpdate (System.Object controller) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleInfoItems.AllStageStats () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)

at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.GeneralInfoItem.DrawItem () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleCustomInfoWindow.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

ArgumentException: Getting control 4's position in a group with only 4 controls when doing Repaint
Aborting
at UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type LayoutType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleInfoItems.AllStageStats () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)

Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.GeneralInfoItem.DrawItem () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleCustomInfoWindow.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Kerbin

newbie question here but is my rocket design wrong if mechjeb misses the orbit constantly like i type 90km orbit height and it ends up with 77 apo and 110 periapsis or something "not really perfect" like it used to be if i remeber correctly.

Do you have a low Power to Weight ratio during the circularization burn?

A long burn with less powerful engines will often lead to a more elliptical orbit, but I've never seen mechjeb fail one that badly before...

I have a craft that's exploding after ascent guidance is in vacuum outside Kerbin. Mechjeb 211 makes its node and seems to be still on its way to lining up with the blue navball marker when it tries to physical timewarp and then the kraken strikes. It does not reach the node so it's only able to timewarp to 3x or 4x before ripping the craft apart trying to get to the blue marker. The same craft was not doing this before 211. It's done the exact same thing with the same craft three times in a row.

Yes, I deleted the mechjeb folder before upgrading. I always do. I know where mechjeb stores it's cfg's. I'm experienced with mods.

Edited by BigD145

I have a craft that's exploding after ascent guidance is in vacuum outside Kerbin. Mechjeb 211 makes its node and seems to be still on its way to lining up with the blue navball marker when it tries to physical timewarp and then the kraken strikes. It does not reach the node so it's only able to timewarp to 3x or 4x before ripping the craft apart trying to get to the blue marker. The same craft was not doing this before 211. It's done the exact same thing with the same craft three times in a row.

Yes, I deleted the mechjeb folder before upgrading. I always do. I know where mechjeb stores it's cfg's. I'm experienced with mods.

This is probably an issue with KSP. There are several craft destroying bugs going on right now that haven't really been sorted out yet.

This is probably an issue with KSP. There are several craft destroying bugs going on right now that haven't really been sorted out yet.

This craft was made in and for 23.5. I lifted several of them plus other craft between 23.5 release and some mechjeb before 211. The lifter stage is completely stock. The only thing that has changed on the craft in the past week is Mechjeb.

Mechjeb 211 was torquing the craft towards the maneuver node when it decided to warp. By turning warp off I can wait two minutes and the craft will not explode before mechjeb carries out the maneuver. This is entirely mechjeb's fault. It's turning while warping.

Edited by BigD145

This craft was made in and for 23.5. I lifted several of them plus other craft between 23.5 release and some mechjeb before 211. The lifter stage is completely stock. The only thing that has changed on the craft in the past week is Mechjeb.

Mechjeb 211 was torquing the craft towards the maneuver node when it decided to warp. By turning warp off I can wait two minutes and the craft will not explode before mechjeb carries out the maneuver. This is entirely mechjeb's fault. It's turning while warping.

Was this during ascent? In atmosphere? Because it's not possible for MJ2 to make the rocket do ANYTHING during a normal (non-physics / on-rails) warp. Where exactly did this happen and what sort of maneuver?

Edit: Sorry, missed your earlier post. So it was doing a physics warp.... ok.

I'm still waiting on a smart A.S.S mode in which I can orientate a ship to the positon of the sun regardless of what body I'm orbiting.

Ooooh Yeah! Solar panels, solar panels, must remember solar panels. Now, if only MJ would find the sun for me. Most useful on the night side of course but I'd probably use it after every maneuvre.

I never did get an answer to my question about Landing Guidance within the atmosphere. Is this working properly? Because when I try to do targeted landings on Duna with MJ, it's trying to do these crazy course correction burns within the atmosphere and ends up tumbling out of control and then Deadly Reentry does it's thing. Is MJ able to estimate atmospheric deceleration and do accurate landings on Duna? Is it compatible with the likes of FAR and Deadly Reentry?

I never did get an answer to my question about Landing Guidance within the atmosphere. Is this working properly? Because when I try to do targeted landings on Duna with MJ, it's trying to do these crazy course correction burns within the atmosphere and ends up tumbling out of control and then Deadly Reentry does it's thing. Is MJ able to estimate atmospheric deceleration and do accurate landings on Duna? Is it compatible with the likes of FAR and Deadly Reentry?

FAR, not so much. There's a link (in Sarbian's signature) to a FAR/MJ plugin that increases FAR compatibility but I don't think it does drag calculations yet. Just control surfaces. Drag is still off so MJ can't really predict with accuracy where you'll come down. (when FAR is installed)

It's not Deadly Reentry aware at all so it's entirely possible it might orient you at an angle where you can't take the heat.