[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

By the way, there's a bug in the rover controls - setting the speed doesn't seem to work; anything above 0 just provides constant acceleration, even beyond the target speed.

And it would be nice to be able to move the MechJeb thing in the VAB . . .

I'm also not seeing the warning that you may not have enough thrust to land - haven't tested this a lot, but in the original MechJeb this would determine if I go for a landing or an abort, and would be useful to have again.

Has mechjeb 2 been configured to recognize Common Berthing Mechanisms docking ports? it will get close, and then fail to close the final gap (within centimeters of connection) on my various tests and then will drift away.

Has mechjeb 2 been configured to recognize Common Berthing Mechanisms docking ports? it will get close, and then fail to close the final gap (within centimeters of connection) on my various tests and then will drift away.

You set the docking ports as "control from here" in your ship and the target one?

I have been trying to get mechjeb to operate properly all day. I have no idea if it is something I am doing or if it is because I have the steam version of KSP. I have no other mods installed other than mechjeb.

I first started with the 2.0.7 version. I would use the ascent assist and it would not put me in a 100k parking orbit, rather just continue to shoot me off into a distant land. After trying it about 5x, I completely uninstalled KSP and proceeded to install the 1.9.8 version.

The 1.9.8 version would put me in parking orbit, but after it did I was unable to control my ship at all. I would push buttons but nothing would happen, all other game features worked properly though. I also would try to have mehcjeb control my ship, it would just time warp to the proper location and tell me it was burning, but the engines never turned on.

Then my last attempt mechjeb ascent assist did not put me in parking orbit, rather the never ending journey to god knows where.

Any advice on how to fix these issues would be great. I apologize if this has been asked before I was just unable to find it, but did search. Thank you

Did you installed any batteries in your ship? If you are out of energy then you won't be able to command your ship anymore.

Hello all, I'm at a bit of a loose end here, I orbited a small supplied module, I've now orbited a station core, so I thought I'd dock the two, but the rendezvous module only offers me 'align orbits', once I've done that and the alingment is perfect, it doesn't offer anything else. What am I doing wrong?

Try changing it in the nvidia control panel to force it to always use the 670.

I actually have the same setup but haven't seen this problem as far as I know, I only lag with huge ships with lots of parts. Manage 3d settings-> global settings -> preferred graphics processor.

I had to manually add it in the program settings tab I am guessing you have done this hence the gpu switching. Just curious if it's forced if it would work then, a pain yes but then you would be able to play at least. Just make sure to turn it off or you will get crap battery life.

Yep, have done that. Also cycled through various compatibility modes, and running as admin.

I really can't figure this one out. It's not a consistent thing -- I ran a full flight with rendezvous and docking yesterday with no problems whatsoever, for example. It just shows up, usually as the ship is coming out of warp. The clock goes yellow, indicating the physics slowdown is kicking in, and everything slows down dramatically. Changing graphics settings makes no difference. It's persistent with the craft -- closing and reloading the game doesn't fix the issue; if you fly that craft again, the slowdown takes place immediately. Other craft don't seem to be affected.... unless you bring one of the "infected" craft nearby. Then, the previously-fine craft starts slowing down as well when it's in focus.

Also, I tried forcing KSP to use the integrated graphics card, and the same problems arose. So it's not an Nvidia driver issue or something.

I don't think it's a MechJeb issue, though -- I think it's some issue with KSP itself, possibly conflicting with some background program or something. I just don't know, and I don't know how to go about troubleshooting it beyond what I've done already. It's baffling, and it's really killing my enjoyment of the game, unfortunately.

Actually I am having issues as well. Since installing 2.0.7 I have had game crashes, planets totally disappearing, and a issue where Kerbin transforms from a planet into a blue glowy ball of light ... Its damned odd, happens at random and requires a full computer reboot to fix. I think perhaps the AI is taking up too many CPU cycles on the core KSP is running on or something I don't know but it's damned odd.

I'm using Mechjeb, but the rendezvous module only seems to offer 'align orbit', no matter if the orbit is perfectly aligned in the first place.

There should be arrow buttons on the Rendezvous Module window itself once you have a target selected. If you're going to do each step manually you can just cycle through and do whichever step you want.

I've had this inconsistent issue where MechJeb 2.0.7 simply doesn't let me End Flight. I'll hit End Flight, I confirm, then I end up looking back at my (undoubtedly failing or exploded) rocket. Nothing gets me back to the Flight Center except shutting down the game by closing it and restarting.

That is, as we say, damned peculiar. And not consistently reproducible.

I'm using Mechjeb, but the rendezvous module only seems to offer 'align orbit', no matter if the orbit is perfectly aligned in the first place.

That align orbit button is setp 1. there are totall 4 steps I think you can siwtch between them there with those arrow buttons or just simply click "autopilot enable" and it will do all those steps automatically getting you mostly about 50-150m from your target with 0 m/s relative speed.

Hello! I just have a question... Is there any way to make mechjeb automatically travel to another planet? I'm not the type of guy who launch his rockets, I prefer to build them

All is done in Maneuver Planer, but you can start the transfer with Rendezvouz, and then fine tune with Maneuver Planer, and other steps of maneuver follow, like periapsis, circularize, etc...

Hey there. I'm loving MechJeb, very handy for when I'm feeling lazy!! I've a few things to ask/comment on though (i'm using 2.07):

There seems to be a lot of wobble/spin produced by the launch assistance on some rockets. I'd expect this on really unstable ones but mine are stable when launched manually. MechJeb consistently seems to resonate the rocket so that the shakes get big enough to throw the fairings off the top and sometimes adds a pretty nasty spin too. It seems like it's trying to overcompensate for movements and causes the wobble itself. Is this a known issue? Is it something that's being worked on?

Sometimes it forgets all my windows and settings. Usually seems to occur in VAB when i notice the Delta V window is missing. No idea what causes it. Any ideas?

Tried doing an autodock with a station using parts from the KOSMOS set. MechJeb wouldn't recognise the craft was being controlled from the APAS-69 docking port and, although it did attempt to dock anyway, the craft alignment was 90 degrees out from the actual port. Is this just a quirk of how the two mods work together or is there anything that can be done to get it to work together.

Last thing - can you please put the mechjeb menu button somewhere else please? It's fine in flight but gets right in the way in VAB over staging. How about in the bottom right (but to the left of where staging sits) and having it as a menu that slides up instead?

That aside, I still think it's a great tool. Keep up the great work!

Quick question--I'm undergoing the MechJebv2 crash course, and was wondering--would it be possible to replace MechJeb with MechJeb2? That way I don't have to go through and manually change all my parts to have MechJeb2 equipped. Would that just involve renaming MechJeb2.dll to MechJebLib.dll?

(I know I could attach a MechJeb2 device to everything as well, just wondering if that would work.)

Synthesis:

It's not quite that simple. MechJeb2 is a part module, whereas the original used a variant of the command pod part type.

To turn one of the original parts into a MechJeb 2 part, you'd need to add the MJ2 part module to it at least, and possibly change the part type to a normal command pod (I haven't actually experimented with this myself, though).

For some reason the MechJeb interfaces are glitched for me, there's no overlay/background for the menus and the font is small and black, very hard to read. I tried re-installing MJ and removing the MJ plugins folder but it didn't help.

Same problem here. Remove any MJ2 modules from any craft in the VAB or SPH. Also "end flight" and craft launched with MJ2 aboard. Then delete everything in MJ2's "plugin data" folder and restart KSP. Thats how I get it working again. I dont know what is causing this though, I think it might be a mod conflict.

Command windows clear and stacked on top of each other? Text gone small, black, and out of their correct position in each window? Same bug im having. The only way I Know of fixing it is to remove all files in MechJeb 2's "plugin data" folder and restart KSP. I think this might be a mod conflict but it is not the latest B9 pack as I do not have that installed.

I've been playing with MechJeb for a while (and I love it!), and I am experiencing the custom window vanishing bug in version 2.0.7. However, I was able to identify a repeatable method for causing the custom windows to vanish. If I load a stock rocket that features MechJeb on it, the windows will vanish. If I load the exact same craft file, but from my save's specific craft files, it works fine. For instance, loading "Kerbal One (Stock)" erases the menus, while loading the same file as "Kerbal One" (because it was not in the stock folder) does not. I hope this information is helpful!

I've been playing with MechJeb for a while (and I love it!), and I am experiencing the custom window vanishing bug in version 2.0.7. However, I was able to identify a repeatable method for causing the custom windows to vanish. If I load a stock rocket that features MechJeb on it, the windows will vanish. If I load the exact same craft file, but from my save's specific craft files, it works fine. For instance, loading "Kerbal One (Stock)" erases the menus, while loading the same file as "Kerbal One" (because it was not in the stock folder) does not. I hope this information is helpful!

Can't replicate creating a new craft in 2.0.7, saving it, copying over to the stock crafts and loading.

I'll guess that if you either add the MJ2 module to an existing part or use a save from an old version, you can get persistence problems, but else than that, I think things are stable.

Synthesis:

It's not quite that simple. MechJeb2 is a part module, whereas the original used a variant of the command pod part type.

To turn one of the original parts into a MechJeb 2 part, you'd need to add the MJ2 part module to it at least, and possibly change the part type to a normal command pod (I haven't actually experimented with this myself, though).

I see...so I'd have to change the cfg files of each item that is using MechJeb to use MechJeb2. I imagine a lot of the mods will update themselves in time anyway. Thanks for clearing that up.

Can't replicate creating a new craft in 2.0.7, saving it, copying over to the stock crafts and loading.

I'll guess that if you either add the MJ2 module to an existing part or use a save from an old version, you can get persistence problems, but else than that, I think things are stable.

The specific rocket I am experiencing is both on a persistence file that has used previous versions of MechJeb 2.0, and the MechJeb module was added to a part (Mk1 Command Pod). I'll test on a new save and see if I can still replicate.

EDIT: After cleaning out and rebuilding my rockets, it appears that it all works now. Thanks for the help!

Edited by DresCroffgrin