Kerbals in RSS

TheAurora

Hello everybody! The Aurora here. I have just recently started an RSS install, but need some help. As one of those people that has to have some logical explanation for things, and lacks the ability to relax without one, I'm stuck. I can't get past the fact that Kerbals don't belong in our solar system. I have tried to come up with a few theories to satisfy my self. Tell me what you think of the ones below, and suggest any you think are better. I just need a premise in order to be able to play.

Idea 1: There are no Humans on Earth any more. The remnants of civilization have almost vanished completely some how. The Kerbals have voyaged for years through interstellar space. Their small colonial transporter (Pod with small crew, cloning machine, DNA) arrives at Earth to set up a new Kerbal civilization. They come upon the remnants of human society and question what happened, much like how we do about the dinosaurs. They are intrigued by our rocket technology we left behind, as most of the Kerbals' knowledge was lost in the attempt to flee the Kerbol system (Details need to be worked out:D). The Kerbals begin using our technology to build there own rockets in order to explore and colonize our solar system, ultimately hoping to discover what happened to the only other known intelligent species in existence, Humans!

Idea 2: The Kerbals arrive from their interstellar voyage, but find the Earth still inhabited. The Kerbals find it difficult to assimilate with Humans, and eventually end up separated in their own territory on Earth, while the rest of the world tries to decide what to do with Kerbals. The Kerbals are rather disgusted with Humans, as they see genocide, war, corruption, greed and other sinful things they never even thought about doing. The Kerbals eventually make the decision that Earth is not for them, and decide to make an effort to leave Earth for good. The Humans, wanting to get rid of the Kerbals to prevent future conflict and regain lost territory, aid in this effort. The Kerbals are allowed to use Cape Canaveral and Human technologies to develop what they need to travel to space. This explains why their tech is near future, or modern. The downside to the Kerbal migration movement is that nations start to question the ability to colonize space for themselves, as the Kerbals can claim territory in space, yet Mankind cannot because of the space treaty. Plot element! :)

These are not for a writing or series, I just like to have a story in my head when I play KSP. Please tell me what you think and suggest any ideas. I am just trying to eliminate my inspiration burn out, and thought the wonderful community could help! If this thread is in the wrong place, I'm sorry. I debated the Science Labs, but decided it wasn't directly science content related.

It'd probably be easier to just consider the RSS Kerbalverse just that. A separate universe where only Kerbal evolved other than the vast variety of life Earth actually supported during its existence.

It'd probably be easier to just consider the RSS Kerbalverse just that. A separate universe where only Kerbal evolved other than the vast variety of life Earth actually supported during its existence.

That's actually a pretty good idea. Never really thought about that. That explains basically everything.

5. A number of brave Kerbals fled in their warp-ship from the NaN-virus that has plagued the computer systems back on Kerbin for years. Happy they have escaped this malevolent computer virus, which has rendered Kerbal-made technology all but inoperable, they land on Earth. Seeing that Kerbals are not intending to invade Earth, but rather are somewhat technologically advanced refugees, they find a new home on Earth, sending an important signal to all the people on Earth: "We are not alone out there!". Intrigued by the - somewhat careless - industriousness of the Kerbals, Humans and Kerbals join together in the quest of exploring the Solar system.

5. A number of brave Kerbals fled in their warp-ship from the NaN-virus that has plagued the computer systems back on Kerbin for years. Happy they have escaped this malevolent computer virus, which has rendered Kerbal-made technology all but inoperable, they land on Earth. Seeing that Kerbals are not intending to invade Earth, but rather are somewhat technologically advanced refugees, they find a new home on Earth, sending an important signal to all the people on Earth: "We are not alone out there!". Intrigued by the - somewhat careless - industriousness of the Kerbals, Humans and Kerbals join together in the quest of exploring the Solar system.

I like it !

A good way to explain why we don't see humans in the space program :

- Kerbals are much lighter, and don't seem to need life support, so it's far more economical to send kerbals rather than humans.

- Kerbals are not affraid of being killed by a rocket explosion (seems to make them laugh). Humans are not affraid to sacrifice these psychotic little green beings.

Interstellar Quest much? Just kidding, this serie was awesome but all the proposals are also good, exept maybe the last because if humans were the one launching kerbals in space I think they would also do the R&D

Problem (for me, at least) is that for the 1:1 scale RSS is using the crew is much to small for the capsules. Well, it only ever occurs in IVA and EVA, but still, especially the small torso is something that... yeah, i dont like the scaling that much.

I also considered the possibility that the Kerbals do assimilate into Human society. The nations of the world, eager to have some of the Kerbals come to their country, offer the Kerbals pieces of territory for them to govern. Such as the USA giving the Kerbals a small state in essence, a territory maybe known as the Kerbal States of America. All of this in an effort for the Humans to get the benefits of Kerbals. The Kerbal territories become like colonies, in which the mother state gains from the Kerbal's incredible hard work and ability to do immense projects without issue. The Kerbal race begins to become divided from this, with places such as the Russian Federation of Kerbals or Kerbal's Republic of China. As the Kerbals fall into the jaws of Nationalism, they feel divided and competitive with one another, eventually feeling the drive to go back into space racing each other in the process. The nations of Earth just watch and gain as the Kerbals become reflections of themselves. I think it would be an interesting way to play. One day launching from Russia as the Russian Federation of Kerbals, and the next from Florida as the Kerbal States of America. This premise also goes well with some really neat flags I found!

I use regex's approach, and am eagerly awaiting someone replacing the kerbal assets.

I can do that. I just can't get over the fact that these pods are not the right size for Humans. Maybe I can use tweak scale to size them to the Mercury capsule or Apollo capsule size. Or I can imagine that the kerbals are midgets. They are somewhat close to 4 feet. This would explain the size issue. I wonder if any nation has considered using people with dwarfism as astronauts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.