Guess what i put inside my rocket, now even Bob can fly it :-)

Pawelk198604

Guess whats inside? In order to have SAS with no pilot? A probe core id guess, but at that point in career do you even have one with SAS unlocked? Not sure its been awhile.

As for why that rockets not reaching orbit is simple. Its too complex. I would lose the third stage entirely. Stretch the first as much as you can given your TWR. Then have that smaller engine ( the LV909 I believe ) on the second and stretch that as well. You only need a .8 TWR on an upper stage. Try without fins. There heavy. Reaction wheel torque should be enough. And if your having trouble with a low TWR on the first stage ( especially if you stretch it ) don't hesitate to use radial SRB's in a sustainer configuration. Where as the first stage doesn't have enough TWR until after the SRBs burn out and its burned enough fuel to be light enough.

So TL:DR just a little bit of a larger rocket is needed. Just a little. Converting that to a sustainer shouldn't be to much extra cash. Especially if you eliminate an engine like I said.

Edited by Motokid600

Moto - I think you misread. He's making it to orbit in the video after removing the bottom stage and making a few other changes. He seems to be implying that he got the rocket to LKO on less delta-V than one would expect because of the mystery component contained within his service bay... Personally, I'm not into guessing games, so I'll just wait until the movie comes out...

Danny

Moto - I think you misread. He's making it to orbit in the video after removing the bottom stage and making a few other changes. He seems to be implying that he got the rocket to LKO on less delta-V than one would expect because of the mystery component contained within his service bay... Personally, I'm not into guessing games, so I'll just wait until the movie comes out...

Danny

No idea what this is about but he definitely did not get in orbit. At the end of the video he's still in suborbital trajectory. The periapsis is -100km.

Have to admit I don't have patience to watch the whole video.

Yet another pointless video...

His rocket has approximately 3,700 m/s vacuum dV, which is plenty to reach orbit.

Isp scales linearly, and he had it displaying vacuum dV

So to calculate vacuum dV, multiple the first 2 stages dV by 320/270... and the last stages dV by 345/85...

The result (as best as I can guess from the low resolution numbers) is a dV > 3,700 m/s

You can get to orbit with 3,200 - 3,400 vacuum dV (of course this depends on your engine, an aerospike will get you closer to 3,200 than a poodle, for instance).

What I see is an inefficiently designed rocket, flown inefficiently, yet he thinks he's got some trick to get to orbit with low dV.

Probe core in the small service bay is pretty standard, also put an battery in it, moded control units like mechjeb / engineer.

Science equipment is also smart. I tend to put solar panels side of pod.

The probe core let you do easy rescue missions too and an scientist with some science equipment give an huge benefit.

Else I agree with Motokid600 Drop 3rd stage, make first stage longer, add SRB to increase TWR if needed.

If you use liquid boosters with crossfeed you should be able to land on Mun with this.

I would however keept the fins, if you use large boosters, not the trashcans one option is to put fins on them.

Well... I guess we're just thinking too much about this. He obviously has unlocked the probe core with SAS and since he says "even bob can fly it" that's probably what this is about.

I usually place the probe core on top of the capsule and parachute on the core. Those service bays are just extra mass in this situation.

W = m*g

Gravity is positive, therefore negative weight is the same as negative mass.

I stand corrected. You're still wrong, though; just because something is lighter-than-air doesn't mean it has negative weight or mass. It only means it's lighter than the air it displaces.

W = m*g

Gravity is positive, therefore negative weight is the same as negative mass.

Sorry, but that is just wrong. Gravity is not per se positive. Gravitational force is a vector and it's direction can often displayed with a positive or negative sign.

Also, "g" is not "gravity" ... g is acceleration due to gravity and depending on your reference frame/coordinate system this acceleration can be negative. In fact most of the time gravitational force will be considered to be negative, because it is pulling you towards the parent body thereby lowering your distance to the ground. KSP is no exeption.

Mass however is never negative ... even with anti matter.

Edited by Chaos_Klaus

Sorry, but that is just wrong. Gravity is not per se positive. Gravitational force is a vector and it's direction is displayed with a positive or negative sign.

Also, "g" is not "gravity" ... g is acceleration due to gravity and depending on your reference frame/coordinate system this acceleration can be negative. In fact most of the time, gravitational force will be negative, because it is pulling you towards the parent body thereby lowering your distance to the ground. KSP is no exeption.

Mass however is never negative ... even with anti matter.

I would be wrong if I wrote W = m*g

In my post, even if I should have mentioned it, I was talking about magnitude, not actual force vectors, so did the post I answered to.

You're right about vectors though, I apologise if my post was not clear enough.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.