[0.21.1] Alien Nostromo (ver. 1.3.7)

jcogs

THIS, this is a new feet in Kerbal engineering. The ability to use engines as if RCS, and switch between engine sets, amazing. We used to need DYJ's Damned Robotics for that! This is better, less time constraints, more flying. Amazing I say, amazing.

Well, I took one look at this thing and decided it needed to be turned into Kerbin's first Orbital Defense Ship. So, I present to you... The KSS Nostradamus!

mucrC.png

The Nostradamus has several of JellyGoggles' Devastator Railguns and three double batteries of SUNBEAM Lasers. It's the most heavily armed ship in the TBIT fleet. Now to figure out how to get it into space...

EDIT: Tested it a few times, turns out I cannot fly it. It keeps noclipping into the launch tower, and when I try a vertical launch (by that I mean like a normal rocket, not with vertical engines) from the runway it tips over.

Try using VTOL engines

@elven_sword: I have been really short on free time recently, and have not had much time to work on getting the eva stuff to work well. As mentioned previously, the ship has to be scaled up by a factor of 3 to compensate for the size of the kerbals, which leads to several unfortunate consequences: when the camera is zoomed out to view the ship it goes beyond the shadow draw distance, meaning no ground shadows. This can make landing somewhat difficult. Scaling up also changes the positions of the rcs thrusters, meaning that they will have to be tweaked to compensate, which has led the asas to cause some instability and waste rcs fuel. I also still need to model, texture, rig, animate, and program a crew elevator. All I have right now is really just a placeholder to make sure the size is about right. In other words, it might be a while.

@halocon720: You are probably having difficulties with the lasers due to their mass. As previously mentioned, I deliberately made the ship under power and under weight with respect to the other parts in the game. This was primarily due to stability issues I had with the old collision system, and it reduced the amount of instability caused by the asas unit. If you increase the mass of all the parts by a factor of 10 or so, while also increasing the maxThrust of the engines and the thrust of the rcs thrusters in the part.cfg, you might be able to get a more equal mass ratio with the lasers allowing you to take off better in the horizontal configuration. Keep in mind that adding anything will likely throw off the balance of the ship, which is rather precarious due to the asymmetrical design. You might also try dropping the mass of the lasers to an absurdly small number, which would avoid the balance issues. This can easily be done by editing the mass values in the save file (persistent.sfs), if the save has the nostromo with the lasers on it.

@Sabactus: There are several ways to change the scale of the ship, some easier than others. As of version 0.16, the easiest way to change the scale of the parts is to add the rescaleFactor variable to the part.cfg's. The default is 1.25, so if you want to scale it up by a factor of 3, you would add the line rescaleFactor = 3.75 to all of the part.cfg's. If you do this you will also need to adjust the thrust magnitude of all of the rcs thrusters to compensate for the position and size change. You will also have to rebuild the .craft file, either by rebuilding it manually in the hanger (this will become difficult with any scale change greater than 2), or by going into the existing .craft file and increasing the positions of all of the pieces by the same scale factor (this will be tedious, but it is pretty easy to write a script to search through the file for lines with pos = and multiplying the three transform values by the scale factor). Also, to answer your other question about getting a life sized version of the ship, I built the original model to scale in meters in Blender, but scaled everything down by a factor of 10 when I saw how big it was going to be once in KSP. In effect, you could scale it by a factor of 10 (rescaleFactor = 12.5 due to the default of 1.25) to get a "life sized" version of the ship. This might be too big to be usable in the actual game, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've fownd how to resize any part very easily!:

To rescale any part to 1/4 of their original size (you can of cours rescale it to whatever you want):

1- Add "rescaleFactor = 0.25" in your .cgf

2- Enjoy!

the downside is that you will have to rebuild the nostromo because, you will see, it won't look exactly the same ;)

Sorry if i made mistakes but i'm not english!

Edited by giogio

• 6 months later...

I have fixed the frontpage of this entry so it is identical to what it was before the crash, including downloads for the newer version with eva support and crew elevator. As was mentioned before the crash, I am currently working overtime and weekends and have not had time for development. That will end when my project is set to end on May 3rd. The company that I work for recently went through bankruptcy and is in the process of restructuring, and by all indications I will be unemployed as of May 4th, theoretically leaving me with an abundance of free time.

• 1 month later...

yes, z key doesn`t work , stuck with the engine in the back, verticle engine is not working, but a great ship, wish the bigger ship had a place to store a small spaceship, etc